Yet another fine effort by Ty Dunne...re: the D

eball

I don't know what I would have done -- but there has been speculation that the Pegulas wanted to fire Marrone but actually saved themselves $4M by letting him quit instead (they would have had to pay him the remaining years on the contract by firing him). That line of reasoning suggests they intentionally refused his demands for contract extensions for himself and his assistants, as well as more personnel control, in order to force his hand.

I understand the distaste for Rex you share with many Bills fans. I am cautiously optimistic he is learning as he goes -- not all head coaches reach their pinnacle immediately, and I do believe Rex has more support now in Buffalo than he had at any time in New York. I realize to some that is a ridiculous statement -- "he has been a HC for SEVEN years! -- but that's what I think.

From who?

I've never read that.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbsup: Interesting take about Ryan's approach to his players and you also nailed the rest of it on a lot of points.

Thanks! Appreciated .

My take is the 2016 Buffalo Bills defense could easily improve just by blitzing more than the less than 10% Ryan Blitzed some games in 2015. Then add in some new players at linebacker and the defense could be a whole lot better this year.

This puzzled me too. I always thought Rex was blitz-happy, like Pettine. Maybe this was part of his trying to meld the two schemes together early, and he figured with this DL I'm not blitzing? What he didn't realize was that his alignments on the DL were not going to work the same as Schwartz' wider alignments (credit to Badol there). Did he seem to anyone else to blitz more later in the year?

What I get a kick out of are the Bills fans who come out saying that sacks don't matter or aren't that important. They do matter and will always matter! What a turnaround in view because this new HC stunk it up in getting any kind of pressure on the QB most of the season, so now sacks are no big deal... :doh:

There was a huge reason as to why the Bills paid Mario Williams 100 million dollars and it wasn't to see him play in a two gap system!! Same with Hughes and Dareus. Sacks go hand in hand with QB pressures, hits, hurries and those are some of the most important stats a defense can try to attain to be the best in. 250 million or 28% of the payroll tied up in pass rushers only to see them do everything but rush the passer.

Absolutely!!! Turnovers, too. Critical plays in terms of wins and losses. Rushing the passer is everything, and our D-line was truly phenomenal, talent-wise.

Watching the 2015 Bills defensive line play was basically agonizing for me most of the year after seeing what Schwartz was able to do with the very same players the previous season.

I venture to say we all feel your pain, Ni! The Redskins game was particularly brutal I thought. One way or the other there are better days ahead.

Previous to the start of the 2015 season Rex Ryan stated he had never had this much talent on a defense and expectations were sky high for the Bills defense to be perhaps one of the best ever. The Bills FO, ownership, and the fans all thought that 2015 would be to finally unseat the Patriots and a run for the AFC East division championship. However, those expectations were not met and not even close.

That's some good perspective that I'd lost sight of, thanks. I remember writing a post responding to a guy who was concerned about D, and I told him this is the best defensive personnel Rex has had since at least Baltimore. I was expecting the kind of defense that would shock football people everywhere.

Bills fans have every right to voice their opinion about last year's results and have every right to be skeptical about the upcoming season considering how things transpired last year. Trust me when I say that every single Bills fan out there wants to like Rex Ryan and wants the team to win games with him as head coach.

This post could speak for me in a lot of ways Ni-Man, none so much as the bolded sentence. He seems like an awesome dude to have a brew with and the guy flat cracks me up when I'm not busy loathing him. If he can win football games I know the folks up in Buffalo and Bills fans everywhere will show him the love. Well said.

For whatever reason these new owners gave Ryan another year to get his shi..."things" together and I hope that's all they give him if we see another season like 2015. The fans deserve better than 8-8 and beating teams with scrub QB's, new coaching staffs or the just the other teams in the division for revenge.

Edited by Aaron

From who?

I've never read that.

There are no stories that I can come up with that suggested that the organization was trying to induce him to leave. That is not to say that everyone was fond of him and his prickly personality. Everyone in the organization was very surprised that he decided to leave. As far as I know the HC told no one within the organization that he was contemplating leaving. What is suggested in the majority of stories that did come out after the decision is that Marrone believed that he had options once he left the Bills. He miscalculated and ended up on the outside.

http://www.fingerlakesdailynews.com/news/details.cfm?id=157969#.VrSoLxGwUlI

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-around-the-nfl/0ap3000000452530/Evans-on-Marrone-This-one-leaves-me-scratching-my-head

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000452645/article/eric-davis-doug-marrone-quit-on-buffalo-bills