[OT] LCD TVs...looking for some advice

Rubes

I'm looking into getting one this weekend, but I was wondering if any folks out there have some experience they wish to share...one question I have is, do LCD TVs have the same potential problems with stuck or broken pixels as LCD computer monitors, and if so, how do companies deal with this? I'd hate to drop a load on a slick LCD TV only to find a couple of brightly stuck pixels.

I'm looking into getting one this weekend, but I was wondering if any folks out there have some experience they wish to share...one question I have is, do LCD TVs have the same potential problems with stuck or broken pixels as LCD computer monitors, and if so, how do companies deal with this? I'd hate to drop a load on a slick LCD TV only to find a couple of brightly stuck pixels.

18390[/snapback]

what size? why LCD?

Yes, you will have problematic pixels just like computer screens and there will be some policy that allows a certain number of dead pixels per screen....

yes they have the same pixelation problem, but at least i know circuit city offers the extended warranty where they will replace the cost of the unit for the duration of the warranty, not the value, the amount you paid. otherwise you are stuck dealing with the manufacturer

18390[/snapback]

what size? why LCD?

Yes, you will have problematic pixels just like computer screens and there will be some policy that allows a certain number of dead pixels per screen....

18392[/snapback]

size...not very large, in fact....probably in the 20's. Why LCD? I've been vacillating between LCD and plasma, and although I like the LCD image better, I may end up going with plasma. Size is a highly important issue...need a thin, relatively small (not huge) screen.

See if you can find the JVC new 52 or 61 inch D-ILA Hi Definiition TV. I just bought one. Its incredible. You dont have the screen door effect and pixel problems like LCD. You dont have the rainbow effect like DLP (ie Samsung) The picture is amazing and its also brighter than both. You can pick up the 52" for around $3200. My local store has the 61" at $3999. Cant wait for opening weekend on this bad boy!

This: http://www.digiupdate.com/100_Selecting_HD_Display.html

is a great summary of the technologies. Showing pros and cons. The other "issues" people have had with LCDs have been color contrast (due to the nature of LCD, you can't get a "true" black), "lost" pixels and what I'll call "streaking". LCD panels (which is what I think you are looking at) generally have a low refresh rate, which means that fast-moving stuff on the screen will leave "streaks." I'm sure this is more prevalent on the cheaper models.

If you look at plasma, pay attention to the MTHB (mean time to half-brightness), that is the number of hours of viewing before the image on the screen is half as bright as when you bought it (the point at which you would likely be replacing it). That is primarily the difference between the cheap plasmas and the more expensive ones.

Today would be a good day to check the TV's out, as you can throw on the college games and see if you like what they have to offer. Some people have complained about watching football in particular, as, according to them, the green of the field is too bright and you get the "streaking."

Of course, if you have hours to burn, you can go to the forums at http://www.avsforum.com/ Discussions around the variety of displays are here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=9

If you're going big enough to do rear projection LCD, people swear by the Sony Grand Vega.

I can honestly say the nicest TV I've seen is the 52" Mitsubishi DLP. Were I looking to spend in the neighborhood of $4000 on a fuggin' television set, that'd be the one. The store here that sells them has pretty much every high end LCD/Plasma/DLP/RP television. Nothing looks better "all around" than it does.

See if you can find the JVC new 52 or 61 inch D-ILA Hi Definiition TV. I just bought one. Its incredible. You dont have the screen door effect and pixel problems like LCD. You dont have the rainbow effect like DLP (ie Samsung) The picture is amazing and its also brighter than both. You can pick up the 52" for around $3200. My local store has the 61" at $3999. Cant wait for opening weekend on this bad boy!

18417[/snapback]

What story is carrying that set, I heard about it but Circuit City and Best Buy no have.