Bills 2007 Opponents

Rico

Man, I have such a hard time believe SD would get rid of Brees. I mean, Brees PRODUCED last year.

242180[/snapback]

Me too, but you never know. San Diego is almost in the same position as Buffalo, if you think about it. They invested a lot in a first round pick in Rivers, so there would be pressure to play him (a la JP).

However, the question is whether or not Brees wants to stay in SD. If he does, he'll re-sign. If not, maybe Dallas can make a play for him. My guess is that Brees will test the market to see what people would give him. If he wants too much, San Diego might be willing to let him go elsewhere.

The Packers could be a factor in this, also. If Brett Favre retires, this opens up a huge carousel. This is all my own speculation, but if that happens, I can see Green Bay signing Matt Hasselbeck and Brees going to Seattle or Dallas. I'd probably see Brees in Dallas more than anywhere else, though.

Me too, but you never know. San Diego is almost in the same position as Buffalo, if you think about it. They invested a lot in a first round pick in Rivers, so there would be pressure to play him (a la JP).

However, the question is whether or not Brees wants to stay in SD. If he does, he'll re-sign. If not, maybe Dallas can make a play for him. My guess is that Brees will test the market to see what people would give him. If he wants too much, San Diego might be willing to let him go elsewhere.

The Packers could be a factor in this, also. If Brett Favre retires, this opens up a huge carousel. This is all my own speculation, but if that happens, I can see Green Bay signing Matt Hasselbeck and Brees going to Seattle or Dallas. I'd probably see Brees in Dallas more than anywhere else, though.

242214[/snapback]

All of that is good speculation. First, Brees has done nothing but say he wants to stay in SD and be their guy forever. That really means nothing. But SD has a problem owners would love but fans would hate: no matter what they do short of keeping both Rivers and Brees, the fans won't be happy. And if you get rid of one, you better make sure you know what you're doing.

Ultimately the issue comes down to money. If they can afford to keep them both next year, they probably will. Let Brees ride again and let Rivers learn some more...and then deal one of them next year.

The problem is, people will offer up some tasty nuggets for Brees because the need for a young quarterback is pretty high right now.