Mike Wahle set to be set free

JP-era

ESPN Scouts inc. rates Mike Wahle as the 5th best OG in the league.

ESPN Insider rumors has Wahle likely to be let go considering he is set to count 11mill against the cap.

If let go, would you pay top dollar for this guy as our new LG?

ESPN Insider rumors has Wahle likely to be let go considering he is set to count 11mill against the cap.

240508[/snapback]

Heres the skinny posted on ESPN insider:

Jan. 19 - The Packers offensive line could take a serious hit this off-season. OG Mike Wahle will likely be cut before the March 2 deadline because as the second highest-paid player behind QB Brett Favre, he'd count $11.375 million against next year's cap. Three-time Pro Bowl G Marco Rivera will become a free agent.

"I can't imagine going out there and not seeing Marco or Wally," coach Mike Sherman said in the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "That's a possibility, but hopefully we can work through those issues. I visited with both of them before they left and just tried to make sure that we had an open line of communication."

Wahle hopes to remain with the Packers but not if Favre retires and the team has to muddle through a rebuilding process.

"That will make a difference," Wahle told the newspaper. "I want to be on a team that will be able to contend for a Super Bowl."

S Darren Sharper ($8.633 million against the cap) and disappointing DT Cletidus Hunt ($3.45 million) were two others mentioned who may either have to restructure their deals or be shown the door.

240508[/snapback]

I think the Bills two biggest priorities are to re-sign Jonas Jennings and then Pat Williams; only after both of these guys are locked up/lost would I look at outside players. Wahle is definately one of the league's best but I don't think he's worth getting over losing JJ or PW. As a result I would probably let another team spend the BIG bucks on Wahle and hope to land a lower tiered FA OG like Joe Andruzzi. As the free agent landscape for OGs is pretty large this year. That said as important an upgrade to LG is, I still think a quality player could be available with our top pick the draft to fill this position if needed.

Mike Wahle is the one free agent that I'd LOVE to see the Bills get.  Instant upgrade to our O-Line.

240511[/snapback]

Yeah no kidding. Heres more, this is Scouts inc. scouting report on him:

Height: 6-6

Weight: 304 lbs.

Pos: Offensive Guard

Born: March 29, 1977, Portland, OR

Experience: 7 years

College: Navy

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Mike Wahle

Position: Offensive Guard

Grade: 78 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Wahle has good size and shows the ability to engulf undersized defenders. Plays with good leverage, delivers a powerful initial punch and gets great pop at the point of attack. Takes good angles to his downfield blocks and generally gets into good position. Shows great football intelligence and rarely makes a mistake. In pass protection, has the bulk to anchor against effective bull rushers and rarely gives up his ground. However, he still lacks great footwork in pass protection and he is a significantly better run blocker than he is a pass blocker. Doesn't show the ability to change directions quickly and will have problems sliding with defenders despite athletic ability. Doesn't get a real quick set and he will need some help working against explosive one-gap defenders. Overall, Wahle possesses the ideal combination of size, strength and savvy as a run blocker.

For a frame of reference they have Orlando Pace graded at 96, Will Shields (rated as #1 OG) graded at 89

I think the Bills two biggest priorities are to re-sign Jonas Jennings and then Pat Williams; only after both of these guys are locked up/lost would I look at outside players. Wahle is definately one of the league's best but I don't think he's worth getting over losing JJ or PW. As a result I would probably let another team spend the BIG bucks on Wahle and hope to land a lower tiered FA OG like Joe Andruzzi. As the free agent landscape for OGs is pretty large this year. That said as important an upgrade to LG is, I still think a quality player could be available with our top pick the draft to fill this position if needed.

240517[/snapback]

I actually agree with all and have been a spoken fan of Andruzzi. But, I guess I tend to look at it like...pay some more money and get an absolute stud.

Yeah no kidding. Heres more, this is Scouts inc. scouting report on him:

For a frame of reference they have Orlando Pace graded at 96, Will Shields (rated as #1 OG) graded at 89

240519[/snapback]

Another good frame of reference would be the rankings of our current O-line and what else is out there.

I actually agree with all and have been a spoken fan of Andruzzi. But, I guess I tend to look at it like...pay some more money and get an absolute stud.

Though how many studs can we afford to pay? Look no further then last offseason, Chris V didn't break our bank and demonstrated to be an upgrade to Pucillo/Sullivan and looks to be an answer at RG. If you could dig it up, I'm curious as to what Chris' #value is and if any of the expected OG available this offseason have similiar rankings?

Another good frame of reference would be the rankings of our current O-line and what else is out there.

240527[/snapback]

Alright, I will take a looksy and see what they say. Remember this was all going into the 2004 season.

of all OG's:

Chris Villarial #2 behind Will shields with a 86 grade

Marco Rivera 82

Jermaine Mayberry 73

Cosey Coleman 72

Ben Hamilton 72

Bennie Anderson 70

Joe Andruzzi 68

Though how many studs can we afford to pay? Look no further then last offseason, Chris V didn't break our bank and demonstrated to be an upgrade to Pucillo/Sullivan and loos to be an answer at RG.

240527[/snapback]

Look, I wont enter into a discussion about how much money we have and how much money people cost.

Last year we did not have as much cap cash as we do this year. I see no reason that we cant add a stud LT if Jennings leaves and a Andruzzi type. OR we can resign Jennings AND sign a stud LG like Wahle.

15 mill goes a long damn way.

Alright, I will take a looksy and see what they say. Remember this was all going into the 2004 season.

of all OG's:

Chris Villarial #2 behind Will shields with a 86 grade

Marco Rivera 82

Jermaine Mayberry 73

Cosey Coleman 72

Ben Hamilton 72

Bennie Anderson 70

Joe Andruzzi 68

240538[/snapback]

Wow! I never thought Villarial be that high.

I want a veteran in the other OG slot, not a draftee. I'd love to see Wahle in here, even before JJ's $$$ discussions are over.

240521[/snapback]

I'm with you on the F/A route Astro. That being said, I'd like to see our 3rd or 4th round pick used for some OL depth...center or guard. Wahle may be a tad pricey. We'll see.

Im a bit suprised too and it makes me raise my eyebrow on their "scouting" techniques.

Just passing it along take it for what you will.

240546[/snapback]

I am VERY high on the Villyman....and you need look no future as to his production then to watch things break down when he is out....

He is a absolute bulldozer for the run and was pretty good in pass protection....

We need to get that equivilant for the Left Guard spot.....

I am VERY high on the Villyman....and you need look no future as to his production then to watch things break down when he is out....

He is a absolute bulldozer for the run and was pretty good in pass protection....

We need to get that equivilant for the Left Guard spot.....

240612[/snapback]

Yep, and I think we will get that type of player in free agency. There are some damn fine guards available and the Bills have some cap room to play with...I think we get two massive, mean guards on this team next year to keep Losman standing. Now, the best of both worlds would be to re-sign Jonas and pick up a guy like Wahle or Andruzzi...not sure if Jonas' contract is going to allow us to do that though.