Drew Bledsoe and the Philadelphia Eagles

Rubes

No, of course I'm not about to say the Eagles have any interest in getting Drew...

But this whole situation with Drew is now reminding me of a discussion I heard on ESPN Radio right after the AFC-NFC Championship Games. I think it was the Herd. Something along the lines of this:

You know what this two-week gap between the Championship games and the Super Bowl is going to do? It's going to get people to start thinking that Philadelphia somehow has a chance of winning this game. Right now, we all know that's just not going to happen, I don't care what you think the final score is going to be. But the longer we sit around waiting for the game, the more people are going to start changing their minds, thinking things like "you know, if they play a great game, and if one or two things bounce their way, maybe they have a chance" and that's just ridiculous. Well I promise you I won't fall into that trap!

Thinking back, I think he was right. The more down time there was, the more people started coming up with ways that Philly might actually win that game. True, in the end they did come close, but let's be honest, there's no way they were gonna beat the Pats. Their complete lack of competence at the end of that game proved that to me.

So that got me thinking about Drew Bledsoe.

After that Sunday night New England game, I knew I had had enough of Drew Bledsoe. Granted, that game was not entirely his fault, but given everything that had happened during the season to that point (and the previous year), I knew then that Drew would never be the big-game QB to win us a Super Bowl, I don't care who we put around him.

The winning streak? That did nothing to convince me of anything other than how much better we could have been with somebody else under center. The Pittsburgh game was a bitter disappointment, and again, although it wasn't all Drew's fault, that really put the nail in the coffin for me.

But it got me thinking that this year's winning streak, and particularly this offseason, is kind of like that two-week period between the Championship Games and the Super Bowl.

All this down time is just going to get everyone thinking about him just like the Eagles. Maybe the Eagles really can beat the Pats. Maybe Drew really can lead us to the promised land. Maybe we were too hard on him this season, after all it wasn't all his fault. Maybe if we just made the right moves this off season he can come back and, with some luck, get the job done for us.

I refuse to fall into that trap.

That does make a lot of sense... I just hope there is no drop off with going to JP... Bledsoe might be at 75, but he's a consistant 75... if jp goes around 95, but starts at 50, next year's a wash... if he can start at 75, then we have something... By the way, the numbers represent overall in madden... something to think about.

People seem to mistake the 'streak' last season for an improvement in Bledsoe's game. That is total crap. What it represented was our defense, special teams, and running game coming of age. The only problem is that at some points during the season, the QB has to be able to carry his weight and contribute, especially on days when the other phases of the game are OFF their game. Drew never did that. It's time to find a QB who can......JP or otherwise.

Great post, Rubes.

A 2 week old turd on your front lawn may not smell as bad as a freshly laid turd, but it's still a turd. If you let the grass grow in that spot, you may even look at that part of the lawn and think that there is no turd there. JWell, just because you can't see it, and just because it doesn't smell, doesn't mean that turd is now a rose.

You know what this two-week gap between the Championship games and the Super Bowl is going to do? It's going to get people to start thinking that Philadelphia somehow has a chance of winning this game. Right now, we all know that's just not going to happen, I don't care what you think the final score is going to be. But the longer we sit around waiting for the game, the more people are going to start changing their minds, thinking things like "you know, if they play a great game, and if one or two things bounce their way, maybe they have a chance" and that's just ridiculous.

240333[/snapback]

thats so true, its freakin crazy. lol, i know so many people that said that same thing... :devil::D

Great post, Rubes.

A 2 week old turd on your front lawn may not smell as bad as a freshly laid turd, but it's still a turd.  If you let the grass grow in that spot, you may even look at that part of the lawn and think that there is no turd there.  JWell, just because you can't see it, and just because it doesn't smell, doesn't mean that turd is now a rose.

240391[/snapback]

Ah, the turd metaphor. In running quarterbacks out of town I believe it comes

just 3 days before the "I always thought he was gay" avalanche, which of course

happens on the official day of the announcement.

That ex-girlfriend was always ugly anyway.

Actually Drew is like an ex-girlfriend. Perhaps the well-endowed girl you dumped in high school. You still always wonder if you shoulda stayed with her, put up with her crap, overlooked her shortcomings. Why? Because myth and romanticism color your self-reflection. The truth? Good thing you cut and run when you did.

People seem to mistake the 'streak' last season for an improvement in Bledsoe's game. That is total crap. What it represented was our defense, special teams, and running game coming of age. The only problem is that at some points during the season, the QB has to be able to carry his weight and contribute, especially on days when the other phases of the game are OFF their game. Drew never did that. It's time to find a QB who can......JP or otherwise.

240376[/snapback]

The first 4 games measured DB's team carrying ability. There was none.

The first 4 games measured DB's team carrying ability. There was none.

and a pre emptive comeback for the drew appologists regarding "well, there was no running game" argument:

Drew didn't put the team on his shoulders and carry them. A 13 year vet with 30000+ (could it even be 35000+) yards that doesn't put the team on his shoulders needs to be on the next train out of here. I just hope they do what they have to do to bledsoe with class, so he doesn't badmouth the franchise. That could hurt us long term.

Ah, the turd metaphor.  In running quarterbacks out of town I believe it comes

just 3 days before the "I always thought he was gay" avalanche, which of course

happens on the official day of the announcement.

240438[/snapback]

Huh. I always thought the "gay" avalanche was reserved for the QBs of other teams that keep beating us. Or the ones that cry.

People seem to mistake the 'streak' last season for an improvement in Bledsoe's game. That is total crap. What it represented was our defense, special teams, and running game coming of age.

240376[/snapback]

Not to mention the crappy teams we were playing.