Streaming of the game?

valle7878

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the commercials were flawless............ The game stream was not. BTW 6Mbits is all that is required for a 1080i HD stream with compression.

Even if it ends up 1080, it will still look like **** if you compress the hell out of it. Which is what it looked like to me.

commercials were clearer than telecast.. but toward the end of the stream.. the screen went blank, and an old announcer's voice urged that "time is short.. take a spin"..

..and then this came on..

ghost in the machine?

Edited by BackInDaDay

For those that didn't have a good experience, it would be worth the time to send a quick e-mail to the NFL and maybe yahoo so these issues can be worked out since they're likely to do more of this in the future

Or spend 70 bucks on an Apple TV unit and watch what was an excellent broadcast. Jeez..

Even if it ends up 1080, it will still look like **** if you compress the hell out of it. Which is what it looked like to me.

Compression is standard in the industry, so not true. Even the commercials are compressed but came across in HD in all cases (at least early on). What I saw was likely dropped packets forcing packet re-sends and eventual drop back into SD (480). I solved the issue of randomly switching between HD/SD by selecting Medium resolution (SD) mode on the PC (Chrome Web browser). But on a 65" TV, not pleasant. It seems the folks on Apple TV had the best experience so that makes me question the root cause. Was it the broadcast or the PC Web Browser/Media functionality? Or maybe a combination? Does Apple TV have a larger buffer such that the lost packets can be resent before they are needed?

Compression is standard in the industry, so not true. Even the commercials are compressed but came across in HD in all cases (at least early on). What I saw was likely dropped packets forcing packet re-sends and eventual drop back into SD (480). I solved the issue of randomly switching between HD/SD by selecting Medium resolution (SD) mode on the PC (Chrome Web browser). But on a 65" TV, not pleasant. It seems the folks on Apple TV had the best experience so that makes me question the root cause. Was it the broadcast or the PC Web Browser/Media functionality? Or maybe a combination? Does Apple TV have a larger buffer such that the lost packets can be resent before they are needed?

I know everything is compressed, which is why I said "compress the hell out of it" :) If you compress too much the resulting video degrades.

Not sure about how much appletv was buffering. I read somewhere that the Roku stick seemed to have a bigger buffer than most other devices and people were generally happier with it than over devices. So maybe buffering helped.

I know everything is compressed, which is why I said "compress the hell out of it" :) If you compress too much the resulting video degrades.

Not sure about how much appletv was buffering. I read somewhere that the Roku stick seemed to have a bigger buffer than most other devices and people were generally happier with it than over devices. So maybe buffering helped.

Sorry missed that point :thumbsup: but the compression algorithm used should be static and not dynamic............. If you over compress the quality would stay crappy not oscillate!

Sorry missed that point :thumbsup: but the compression algorithm used should be static and not dynamic............. If you over compress the quality would stay crappy not oscillate!

Agreed. But my quality of the game was never as good as a HD TV broadcast which leads me to believe the compression was too high overall. The commercials, which I assume originated in the US instead of the UK, were higher quality and not choppy. I suspect fearing the worst from the UK broadcast they compressed it more. Might have been the differences in the color encoding systems (PAL in the UK versus NTSC in the US) as well. We'll probably never know for sure.

Agreed. But my quality of the game was never as good as a HD TV broadcast which leads me to believe the compression was too high overall. The commercials, which I assume originated in the US instead of the UK, were higher quality and not choppy. I suspect fearing the worst from the UK broadcast they compressed it more. Might have been the differences in the color encoding systems (PAL in the UK versus NTSC in the US) as well. We'll probably never know for sure.

Great point on the encoding delta. No we will never know because the NFL said it was a huge success! :doh:

I don't know. I've got a $100 dvd player that can play both PAL and NTSC and both look good on my projector. you'd think the yahoo guys could find a way to interchange formats without much loss.

Edited by birdog1960

I don't know. I've got a $100 dvd player that can play both PAL and NTSC and both look good on my projector. you'd think the yahoo guys could find a way to interchange formats without much loss.

Bottom line, I don't know what was wrong. But if they plan on moving forward with this (and I have to believe they are), I sure hope Yahoo does.

I watched via apple tv - the feed was no where near hdtv broadcast quality. the new apple tv is $150.

It was on my TV. And many others here said the same thing. The old one you can buy right now for $69.95 anywhere.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I watched on a Roku 3, the broadcast quality sucked. Screen was dim, nothing was sharply focused, occasional choppiness. Minus the chop it was like watching the game on an old TV. You sort of got used to it and convinced yourself it was decent...but then the 1:00 games came on and just blew it out of the water.

Great point on the encoding delta. No we will never know because the NFL said it was a huge success! :doh:

The NFL also says they have the best officiating in sports...