FILM REVIEW - OLINE/UNFORCED ERRORS-WEEK 4 GIANTS

Bocephuz

Unforced errors.. bad throws/ How did the O Line do?/ What mistakes are on the O-Line.. what ones are not?

I watched the NFL rewind all 22 and here is my unofficial count of how the O-Line did /
How Tyrod did on every pass play ( I may have missed a snap or two here.. there also may be a few extra pass attempts that were cancelled due to penalites..but this should be 95% accurate)

DISCLAIMER ( I am not a coach, I don't know the hot reads or route combinations called.. this is just my educated perception of what happened on each pass play)

_______ ______________________

TOTAL PASS PLAYS – 49 snaps – ( way to many.. last week was 29 snaps )

LINE BREAKDOWNS – 8/49 snaps .. or 16% ( more than last week percentage of 10% )

SUFFICIENT PROTECTION - 41/49 snaps … or 84% ( slightly worse than last week’s 26/29 snaps 90% ).

UNFORCED TYROD ERRORS: - 3/49 snaps - 6% or in other words Taylor had time to throw but missed his target or made wrong decision on 6% of these opportunites( last week was 2 unforced errors or 7%)

Bottom Line:
OLINE PASS PROTECT WAS OK – TAYLOR MADE GOOD DECISIONS - Upon further review, the O Line held up reasonably well on pass protect and Taylor made very few poor decisions/ bad throws. Credit to the Giants DBs who had tight coverage on Bills receivers.. looking at the All 22 I saw very few instances where Tyrod was not seeing wide open receivers and passing them over. Tyrod also escaped a few sacks that most Qbs would not be able to avoid. I’m thinking that the Bills’ struggles in the first half offensively were mainly caused by 2 things.. Lack of running game.. Giants sniffing out designed scripted short passing plays.

URBIK LOOKS BAD - Urbik started the game out well.. picking up a stunt… however..after that it was downhill. Of the 8 line breakdowns.. Urbik had 6 of them. He is very slow off the snap nowadays and very susceptible to misdirection moves from D Lineman. This RG spot is really the only weak spot on the line.. hopefully Miller comes back and regains his preseason form.

KOUANDJIO - CK did a respectable job filling in for Glenn while he was out due to injury. He held his ground and did his job. The only frustrating thing was the bone headed false start on the 4th down where the Bills were clearly trying to goad NYG D to jump offsides.

PLAYS OF NOTE

Q1-5:28 – Good protection, nobody open, good throw away by Taylor
Q1-4:55 – Urbik does great job picking up stunt
Q1-:18 - Urbik beat to inside, Taylor flushed has to throw ball away
Q2-5:05 – Crap offensive PI call on Clay
Q2 - :25 - Inexcusable false start call on Kouandjio on 4th down
Q3 -11:25 – Urbik holds, still gets beat, Tyrod forced to scramble
Q3 – 8:19 – UNFORCED ERROR – Taylor bad throw at Clay’s feet on designed rollout
Q3-8:13 – Taylor has time, great deep throw to Clay for first down
Q3-5:51 – Taylor has time, throws deep to Harvin.. PI call
Q3-5:45- Urbik beat again, Taylor scrambles for Touchdown.. questionable holding call brings it back
Q3 -5:33 – Urbik beat again, Taylor forces ball to Clay.. almost picked off
Q4 – 9:46 – Urbik beaten , Taylor steps up.. throws TD pass to Karlos
Q4 -7:11 – Incognito/Wood miss stunt
Q4 – 2:49 – SACK – Henderson beat to the inside
Q4 - UNFORCED ERROR – Taylor has time, just misses Harvin deep
Q4- SACK – Incognito beat on spin move.. caught holding to make up for it but still gives up sack
Q4 – 4:57 - CHOP BLOCK on Incognito nullifies TD throw ( crap call)
Q4 – 4:29 – UNFORCED ERROR – Tyrod underthows out route to Harvin
Q4 - :20 – Urbik beaten, sack

SUMMARY - The O Line was generally competent and Taylor’s pocket presence and decision making were generally sound today. Not having a run game really killed us and also credit to the Giants D and in particular their secondary who had tight coverage most of the day. One thing I did notice was that Taylor seemed to be under center much more in the 2nd half and this seemed to help his footwork and timing making throws. Hopefully this was noticed by the staff and we will see more of him under center going forward.

O Line Pass block grades

GLENN - B
KOUANDJIO – B-
INCOGNITO – B-
WOOD - B
URBIK – D-
HENDERSON - C

SUMMARY - The O Line was generally competent and Taylor’s pocket presence and decision making were generally sound today. Not having a run game really killed us and also credit to the Giants D and in particular their secondary who had tight coverage most of the day. One thing I did notice was that Taylor seemed to be under center much more in the 2nd half and this seemed to help his footwork and timing making throws. Hopefully this was noticed by the staff and we will see more of him under center going forward.

O Line Pass block grades

GLENN - B

KOUANDJIO – B-

INCOGNITO – B-

WOOD - B

URBIK – D-

HENDERSON - C

Bo, thanks for the breakdown - lot of work there.

Bill from NYC seemed to give Wood an "F" but you give him a "B". Any idea what the discrepency might be, and while you were at it, did you have a try at the run game?

Those grades must be on pass blocking because the line truly stunk on run blocking, and I think that is why Bill is so down on Wood.

Glenn was the only guy that should be getting a positive grade in this last game, at least from my view.

My problem with Tyrod Taylor in the first half the team only had 38 yards passing, and 42 yards rushing, neither are good. Then the throws he made on 3rd down were usually always three yards behind the 3rd down marker, and the receiver was tackled immediately. Taylor threw some bad balls, overthrows, under throws, behind the receivers.

The real problem was with the run game, and the 24 rushes for only 55 yards that resulted in a 2.4 ypc avg. Karlos Williams 18 rushes for 40 yards doesn't help take the heat off the QB. Then Taylor needing to throw 42 times is not what this offense is supposed to do to win games.

Edited by Nihilarian

Bo, thanks for the breakdown - lot of work there.

Bill from NYC seemed to give Wood an "F" but you give him a "B". Any idea what the discrepency might be, and while you were at it, did you have a try at the run game?

Wood was ok in the pass protect game.. he and Incognito messed up a stunt once.. but other than that we was fine in pass protect.

I don't get into grading the O Line in the running game. ... too difficult for me to tell what was supposed to happen and what really happened.

It is quite possible ( and maybe even likely based on the run game results) that Wood was really bad in run blocking against the Giants.. perhaps that is why Bill from NYC gave him a bad grade.

Great summary and thanks for the update on the Giant DB's. Can't wait for Sammy to be back (McCoy for that matter should help the running game too).

Having healthy Sammy and McCoy back will hopefully loosen up some of the coverages.

Those grades must be on pass blocking because the line truly stunk on run blocking, and I think that is why Bill is so down on Wood.

Glenn was the only guy that should be getting a positive grade in this last game, at least from my view.

My problem with Tyrod Taylor in the first half the team only had 38 yards passing, and 42 yards rushing, neither are good. Then the throws he made on 3rd down were usually always three yards behind the 3rd down marker, and the receiver was tackled immediately. Taylor threw some bad balls, overthrows, under throws, behind the receivers.

The real problem was with the run game, and the 24 rushes for only 55 yards that resulted in a 2.4 ypc avg. Karlos Williams 18 rushes for 40 yards doesn't help take the heat off the QB. Then Taylor needing to throw 42 times is not what this offense is supposed to do to win games.

For a variety of reasons I don't review the run blocking. This weekly write up is based strictly on pass protection.

Regarding Taylor.. quite frequently the short throws were the only open throws available to him.. the Giants DBs really did a solid job in coverage. Based on what I saw Tyrod consistently attacked the intermediate and deep routes during the game ( maybe even forcing a few deep balls to guys who were blanket covered.. which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the ball is thrown where it can't be picked off .. possibly drawing a PI penalty). Regarding the bad throws.. .I only saw 2 or 3 bad throws where his mechanics were bad and he was off target for no good reason. The interception to Clay was a well thrown ball that was 50/50. There was a deep out throw on the run to Woods in the first half that hit him in the hands but the DB knocked it away.

I agree that the run game must have been the problem.. I will leave that up to BIll in NYC or someone else to comment on why the run game was so ineffective

Edited by Bocephuz

Wood was ok in the pass protect game.. he and Incognito messed up a stunt once.. but other than that we was fine in pass protect.

I don't get into grading the O Line in the running game. ... too difficult for me to tell what was supposed to happen and what really happened.

It is quite possible ( and maybe even likely based on the run game results) that Wood was really bad in run blocking against the Giants.. perhaps that is why Bill from NYC gave him a bad grade.

Having healthy Sammy and McCoy back will hopefully loosen up some of the coverages.

For a variety of reasons I don't review the run blocking. This weekly write up is based strictly on pass protection.

Regarding Taylor.. quite frequently the short throws were the only open throws available to him.. the Giants DBs really did a solid job in coverage. Based on what I saw Tyrod consistently attacked the intermediate and deep routes during the game ( maybe even forcing a few deep balls to guys who were blanket covered.. which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the ball is thrown where it can't be picked off .. possibly drawing a PI penalty). Regarding the bad throws.. .I only saw 2 or 3 bad throws where his mechanics were bad and he was off target for no good reason. The interception to Clay was a well thrown ball that was 50/50. There was a deep out throw on the run to Woods in the first half that hit him in the hands but the DB knocked it away.

I agree that the run game must have been the problem.. I will leave that up to BIll in NYC or someone else to comment on why the run game was so ineffective

Yea, I didn't intend to infer that Taylor was the problem this last game, and quite the contrary IMO. When that run game works it opens up the middle, and keeps the defense honest. Taylor in only his fourth NFL start played as best as he could given the circumstances of the day.

Still, only 38 yards in the entire first half with only 2 first downs is very disconcerting, and the Bills need to find a way to move the ball against good defenses.

I gotta say that the NY Giants matched up very well against a run team with a running QB because they have faced RG3 with all his running, and the Dallas Cowboys with their stout O line, run game. Then 17 penalties on Buffalo players gave the NY Giants 7 first downs. Bad match up for Buffalo, but they could have won the game with some better play, and discipline.

Yea, I didn't intend to infer that Taylor was the problem this last game, and quite the contrary IMO. When that run game works it opens up the middle, and keeps the defense honest. Taylor in only his fourth NFL start played as best as he could given the circumstances of the day.

Still, only 38 yards in the entire first half with only 2 first downs is very disconcerting, and the Bills need to find a way to move the ball against good defenses.

I gotta say that the NY Giants matched up very well against a run team with a running QB because they have faced RG3 with all his running, and the Dallas Cowboys with their stout O line, run game. Then 17 penalties on Buffalo players gave the NY Giants 7 first downs. Bad match up for Buffalo, but they could have won the game with some better play, and discipline.

The Giants really looked prepared for this game. They certainly didn't look like they were caught off guard by any of the read option stuff. I recall one play read option play where the Giant edge defender read it perfectly ..forcing Taylor to keep the ball and run it inside for little to no gain. I also remember a Giant edge defender hitting Tyrod and making him pay after a read option handoff ( .. which some thought should have been Unnecessary Roughness.. but if the QB appears to be carrying out a fake after handing it off he is free game)

They definitely could have won the game.. A lot of people were comparing this game to the Patriots game but really the only similarity was that the Giants had the same quick throw strategy that the Pats did. The Pats game was really a blowout.. this one was always a 2 score game and take away some of the penalties and poor play calling and we are right in it.