Bills are relevant again

PromoTheRobot

And that payoff is a bunch of people you don't know talking about the team you root for in the media?

Nothing else? You get nothing else from being a fan of the Bills?

I said that the "reward for winning" specifically, is the attention. There are other aspects to the event that can be enjoyed, but they can be enjoyed whether the team wins or not. The reason we want our team to win, is so that the team (and it's community of fans) can enjoy the attention bestowed by it's rivals, and other communities. That happens primarily through the media. You characterize the media, and attention as "a bunch of people you don't know talking about the team you root for" I don't. It's not just ESPN, or sportswriters, it's history books...people want reflected glory, and fame, even if it's just for their community.

And what is fame, other than " bunch of people you don't know,talking about you ", and why do people seek it?

Edited by HoF Watkins

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said that the "reward for winning" specifically, is the attention. There are other aspects to the event that can be enjoyed, but they can be enjoyed whether the team wins or not. The reason we want our team to win, is so that the team (and it's community of fans) can enjoy the attention bestowed by it's rivals, and other communities. That happens primarily through the media. You characterize the media, and attention as "a bunch of people you don't know talking about the team you root for" I don't. It's not just ESPN, or sportswriters, it's history books...people want reflected glory, and fame, even if it's just for their community.

And what is fame, other than " bunch of people you don't know,talking about you ", and why do people seek it?

Life must be pitifully unfulfilling for you if this is what you think. This is how a 2yr old thinks. It's all about the attention? Do you still scream at the top of your lungs until mommy and daddy give you some attention?

There is more than one reason people want their team to win, to say otherwise is just arrogant or ignorant -- I can't decide which. There are more rewards than just attention. To categorically (and condescendingly) claim that the only reward is fame or attention just is not true.You're trying to distill every person's fandom down into a singular motive and it just doesn't work that way. You may feel that "fame" is the only reward to winning, but that's because clearly fame is important to you. It's not important to everyone, in fact I'd say the majority of famous people didn't set out to become famous at all because they realize fame is fleeting. It's not a finish line, it's a side effect that's a hassle more often than its a blessing.

Besides, didn't you make the point earlier that fans can't really be motivated by anything BUT national praise (or "historical praise") because most times people don't personally know the players and thus the games don't really matter? If that's the case, explain to me how national praise -- from people you don't know, talking about other people's accomplishments that you don't know and played no part in achieving -- is different and suddenly matters?

Don't you see you're trying to have it both ways?

There is more than one reason people want their team to win, to say otherwise is just arrogant or ignorant -- I can't decide which. There are more rewards than just attention. To categorically (and condescendingly) claim that the only reward is fame or attention just is not true.You're trying to distill every person's fandom down into a singular motive and it just doesn't work that way. You may feel that "fame" is the only reward to winning, but that's because clearly fame is important to you. It's not important to everyone, in fact I'd say the majority of famous people didn't set out to become famous at all because they realize fame is fleeting. It's not a finish line, it's a side effect that's a hassle more often than its a blessing.

Besides, didn't you make the point earlier that fans can't really be motivated by anything BUT national praise (or "historical praise") because most times people don't personally know the players and thus the games don't really matter? If that's the case, explain to me how national praise -- from people you don't know, talking about other people's accomplishments that you don't know and played no part in achieving -- is different and suddenly matters?

Don't you see you're trying to have it both ways?

So why do YOU want the Bills to win a Super Bowl? What will YOU get from it? What is the source of your enjoyment?

Life must be pitifully unfulfilling for you if this is what you think. This is how a 2yr old thinks. It's all about the attention? Do you still scream at the top of your lungs until mommy and daddy give you some attention?

Nope. I don't take it that seriously, it's all just "bragging rights".

My self-worth isn't tied to the team's achievements, and my own achievements are satisfactory.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Thanks for letting me into this community, so here's my first post.

I know we've been burned before...the 2011/2012 season comes to mind. I remember watching that first game against KC with my jaw on the floor as the Bills pounded them something like 44-14. Two weeks later they were 3-0 after beating the Pats...a few weeks later they were 5-2...only to finish the season 6-10. From week four onward I was living out of the country for the remainder of the season, and was spared most of the carnage coming from OBD.

But screw all that, I've loved this team since the first time I went to Rich stadium in 1990, and saw them trounce the Cardinals. After that performance last Sunday against the Colts, I'm proud to say I'm diving headfirst into the Kool-Aid once again. Being a Bills fan isn't easy, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love what I'm seeing, and I think we're all going to be rewarded for our loyalty this season.

Welcome aboard!

Go Bills!

:rolleyes: Much more than bragging rights, I'll tell you that much.

Well, quit evading, and tell me what it is. You insist I'm wrong, but don't have an alternative reason.

I'm confident that any collective aspect to it, can be tied to attention.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Well, quit evading, and tell me what it is. I'm confident that any collective aspect to it, can be tied to attention.

Me evading? You haven't answered one of my questions this whole thread. You haven't even tried to have a discussion, you've just dug your heels in like a toddler and proclaimed you're right no matter what.

And, you're assumption is once again wrong.

Me evading? You haven't answered one of my questions this whole thread. You haven't even tried to have a discussion, you've just dug your heels in like a toddler and proclaimed you're right no matter what.

And, you're assumption is once again wrong.

Evading again. I have answered a bunch of attacks in this thread (from a gang of people). You have only attacked (as usual).

Edited by HoF Watkins

What? The reward for having your team do well is seeing them win. Experiencing the victories with your friends and fellow fans is the reward,

Nope, not answer. Why is the win enjoyable for you and your friends?

First of all, thinking for yourself is never thinking small. Right off the bat you're being foolish and trolling for no reason by calling me out like that. ATTACK

I've been a Bills fan for a long time now, media coverage of the team has NEVER been a factor in how much enjoyment I get out of watching the Bills play -- win or lose -- and it never will be. So for you to say that's the only way I can get satisfaction from rooting on my team, I say you don't know anything about me so how could you possibly judge? I can understand how some fans can gain MORE satisfaction if their team is the national media darling, it's nice to have some positive reinforcement. But it's not the end-all-be-all of being a sports fan. NOT AN ANSWER

Your contention is that my satisfaction is only real if it's verified by outside sources. That's the definition of someone with no self confidence and no sense of their own worth. You're 100% wrong on this and it's hilarious that you're digging your heels in. Thinking that way is not just stupid (and it is, very, very VERY stupid), it's short sighted. Why bother being a fan of a team at all then? Why not just be a fan of whoever is the national media's darling of the moment?

NOT AN ANSWER

....Oh right, I forgot. You are a P*ts fan so you already follow that formula. :rolleyes:

Your bolded section is wrong. I provided plenty of reasons. You choose to ignore them, that doesn't mean none were provided.

I know a few Bills players, front office people, and coaches personally. Even if I didn't, I'm a fan of the team, not a fan of the team's media coverage. You've got it completely twisted. You're basically admitting that the only joy you get out of the Bills is when other people tell you it's okay to get joy from them. Do you see how limiting that mindset is?

Put it another way, do you have a movie, book, or TV show you like that everyone else hates? I know I do. Does the fact that most people think that movie, book, or TV show (whatever it is) is terrible make you less of a fan of that movie? Of course not. The joy people get out of their passions and hobbies are SUBJECTIVE.

It's not sad because that kind of neediness, the desire to be loved by talking heads, is entirely what I would expect from you based on your posting history. It's just funny that you are so adamant that favorable media coverage the end-all-be-all of sports fandom. :lol: It's laughable. NOT AN ANSWER

Again, you're making broad assumptions about people you don't know. I don't even live in Buffalo and I'm a Bills fan. I don't care about recognition for the City of Buffalo -- I care about the Bills.

I did challenge it, because it's so unbelievable short sighted I assumed you were being sarcastic or trolling. Now that I know you're serious, it's just sad.

NOT AN ANSWER. Just another attack

But he's not saying that. He's saying the ONLY satisfaction that can be gained from rooting for the Bills is national media recognition. Which just isn't true.

NOT AN ANSWER.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yup, it's not what you said at all.

Again I ask, if that's all it is, why do you root for the Bills? They haven't had national media attention for going on two decades. Clearly you're getting something out of your fandom, are you not?

NOT AN ANSWER.

These are your posts (demonstrably!)

WHERE IS AN ANSWER?

Edited by HoF Watkins

NOT AN ANSWER.

NOT AN ANSWER.

WHERE IS AN ANSWER?

Not an answer to a troll

yeah, all those teams of the last decade were "different". Bledsoe, Lynch, Evans, McGahee, Spikes, TO. Jauron and Gregg Williams were supposed to take the D to the next level, then when the offense was patheic they brought in guys like Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, etc... now it's Taylor, McCoy and Rex Ryan. IMO this current team is no different than those teams of the past 15 years. You can name drop all you want, but until they actually do something, it's the same old story. I certainly hope this year is the year, but only time can tell.

I'll say one thing, Russ Brandon has done a great job of keeping the fans interested. They haven't been to the playoffs in eons, but that stadium is packed every weekend.

here's the hope and the difference. we appear to have an owner that actually values winning above a ridiculous threshold of return on investment. that's very good for us fans.

NOT AN ANSWER.

NOT AN ANSWER.

WHERE IS AN ANSWER?

Of course you quoted my posts after I provided an answer -- but again, don't let facts get in the way of your argument. It's also funny that you label the first paragraph as an attack -- when it was a response to your direct attack on me, saying I was "thinking small again". Again, I get that you don't want to have a discussion, but at least be honest.

And while you were busy labeling the posts, you ignored the SIX (count 'em) direct questions I asked you, you know, trying to have a conversation. I guess it's fitting that a grown man who's sole motivation is getting attention would also not be able to understand that conversations are two way streets... :rolleyes:

What? The reward for having your team do well is seeing them win. Experiencing the victories with your friends and fellow fans is the reward, not what the talking heads say about your team. If your only reward for rooting for the Bills is the hope that ESPN or some knucklehead sportscaster who doesn't give a flying fck about your team in reality says nice things on TV then I'd say you're setting your expectations far too low.

I really, really hope not. For his sake.

Watching the Bills is like taking up any other hobby. For example, a lot of people like going to the gym. Some people do it for attention, to get the figure they think other people like, to get eyes turning. They get a good feeling from getting the attention. Others work out for other reasons, whether it be to stay in shape, do something with friends, or just to past time. They feel good after working out for just doing something, whether or not people notice them.

Thats what its like to be a Bills fan, to be any kind of fan. Bandwagon fans like the feeling of getting some sort of self perceived attention from wearing a Pats or Seahawks Jersey. All the other fans, from casual to die hard, like the feeling of doing something with friends and family or passing the time on a Sunday afternoon. When the die hard fans team starts winning, especially after an extended period of losing, it just feels good to celebrate your perseverance with others.

Sure some fans like the added attention of winning HoF Watkins, I'll give you that. Many of the fans on here dont and take it personally when you accuse them of being attention seekers. I cant tell you the last time i even had time to put on Sportscenter or some other sports talk show, let alone when i decided to waste time listening to one of them. And most of my school's population couldnt even tell you whether or not Buffalo had a football team. I watch because i love talking Bills football with my family up north and cant wait for the moment where i get to celebrate a Bills superbowl downtown with all the other die hards, not to rub non-important, intangible success in the nose of others.

Watching the Bills is like taking up any other hobby. For example, a lot of people like going to the gym. Some people do it for attention, to get the figure they think other people like, to get eyes turning. They get a good feeling from getting the attention. Others work out for other reasons, whether it be to stay in shape, do something with friends, or just to past time. They feel good after working out for just doing something, whether or not people notice them.

Thats what its like to be a Bills fan, to be any kind of fan. Bandwagon fans like the feeling of getting some sort of self perceived attention from wearing a Pats or Seahawks Jersey. All the other fans, from casual to die hard, like the feeling of doing something with friends and family or passing the time on a Sunday afternoon. When the die hard fans team starts winning, especially after an extended period of losing, it just feels good to celebrate your perseverance with others.

Sure some fans like the added attention of winning HoF Watkins, I'll give you that. Many of the fans on here dont and take it personally when you accuse them of being attention seekers. I cant tell you the last time i even had time to put on Sportscenter or some other sports talk show, let alone when i decided to waste time listening to one of them. And most of my school's population couldnt even tell you whether or not Buffalo had a football team. I watch because i love talking Bills football with my family up north and cant wait for the moment where i get to celebrate a Bills superbowl downtown with all the other die hards, not to rub non-important, intangible success in the nose of others.

I'm not accusing people of some kind of vanity. I'm saying the reward for your team winning a championship, is the attention given to your team/community by opposing fans, casual observers, ESPN analysts, on and on....via the media (that includes books, newspapers, blogs, forums, TV, and many other forms of media). If there was no feedback from outside the "winning community", the achievement wouldn't have much value. For instance, telling people who don't know anything about football, that your team won the championship would be pointless. When I posted "bragging rights", I meant it as a figure of speech, not that I literally go around shouting out my team's achievements.

And where is Greggy?

Edited by HoF Watkins

I'll bite HoF. I've been a fan for a long time, since I was ten in '68. As fans we hope for and long for the victory of "us" over them. You can chide that if you want, but in the end it's what fuels all sports fans. The us is the community of Buffalo Bills fans and the team that represents Buffalo (where most of us are from). All the years of "almost" and the many years of shattered hopes make us want the ultimate victory more.

Yes, there is an aspect of this where if our team is considered relevant it makes some fans feel better, but the reason isn't that we can't feel good about our team if we aren't getting attention from the media. The reason is that national media attention (relevancy if you will) only comes when your team is really starting to jell and is becoming a force to be reckoned with. It is simply a verification of what we as fans are feeling and hoping - that we're going to be a contender! The attention is a byproduct of being good. But being good enough to potentially contend for the ultimate crown (or at least moving towards that) is the only thing that really makes us feel good.

Like many others I've longed for a championship for a long time and I can assure you such a win would be thoroughly enjoyed - regardless of whether I hear another peep out of the media or any others outside of the Bills community. The prize is the championship - not the attention. For me, what would make a championship so rewarding is knowing how great it would make all of my kindred Buffalo fans feel.