Fallout from possible Dareus extension

I get the feeling that this could be Mario's last year with the Bills. They can cut him after this year and save almost 13 million off the cap. If Rex is so good at scheming pressure, they might look at having Hughes and Mario here as high dollar guys as a bad use of the cap.

Obviously a restructure is also possible, but they save alot of cap space by just releasing him.

If they thought having Hughes and Mario was bad use of the cap then why did they just resign Hughes to an extension?

Mario's contract will at some point be restructured with a few more years added to it.

Edited by Max997

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the feeling that this could be Mario's last year with the Bills. They can cut him after this year and save almost 13 million off the cap. If Rex is so good at scheming pressure, they might look at having Hughes and Mario here as high dollar guys as a bad use of the cap.

Obviously a restructure is also possible, but they save alot of cap space by just releasing him.

You do realize that Mario is coming off one of his best seasons right?

Mario is not going anywhere.....not only is he a monster on the pass rush......his run stop is great...he is a complete player...he is one of the REASONS why people say we have the best DL in the league.....without him? Nobody is saying that.

The bills have set themselves up nicely to add years to Mario's contract......and put out money is bonus signing money to make it more cap friendly.

This will get done......and even if it doesnt happen this year they have the franchise tag at their deposal.

The Bills won't have much carryover from 2015 to 2016. As YOLO noted in the article he linked the Bills will likely head into the season with just under $5M in space, but some of that will be needed for the salaries of additional players who come aboard when an injured player gets put on IR. They may carryover $2-3M.

If the league cap is in the $150-153M range (as expected), then the Bills will be tight to it as things stand. They're at about $149.5M committed now, but draftee signings and other roster moves will increase that slightly. Some room is coming, though. Harvin won't be kept, so that will free up $8M in cap space. Changing Clay's 2016 roster bonus to a signing will free up another $7.5M. There will be other moves made that will effect the final numbers for 2016 - cuts, new FAs and a new class of draftees - but re-signing Dareus is certainly manageable.

The Bills won't have much carryover from 2015 to 2016. As YOLO noted in the article he linked the Bills will likely head into the season with just under $5M in space, but some of that will be needed for the salaries of additional players who come aboard when an injured player gets put on IR. They may carryover $2-3M.

If the league cap is in the $150-153M range (as expected), then the Bills will be tight to it as things stand. They're at about $149.5M committed now, but draftee signings and other roster moves will increase that slightly. Some room is coming, though. Harvin won't be kept, so that will free up $8M in cap space. Changing Clay's 2016 roster bonus to a signing will free up another $7.5M. There will be other moves made that will effect the final numbers for 2016 - cuts, new FAs and a new class of draftees - but re-signing Dareus is certainly manageable.

I want to know why people are soooo sure Percy will not be kept

History, cap situation, structure of the contract, etc. It is just not realistic to expect everything fall into place where:

- the Bills are comfortable enough with Harvin's performance that they are willing to pay him $9M per season,

- Harvin is happy making $9M per year instead of trying to cash in on a big payday,

- Harvin stays relatively injury free,

- Harvin is a good teammate and maintains a good relationship with the staff (which hasn't happened except for the two months he was with the Jets) and

- the Bills prefer to keep him over Dareus or other expensive players.

Is there a sliver of a chance that all happens? Sure, but that's about it. Realistically he won't be playing here - at least not under that contract.

Edited by BarleyNY

Because Harvin was never on a 3 year contract. It was always a 1 year deal that was structured as a 3 year deal to save a few cap dollars this season. The 2nd and 3rd years have already been voided.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/percy-harvin/

It is possible that we re-sign him next season, but would be competing with other teams as he will be a FA.

Because Harvin was never on a 3 year contract. It was always a 1 year deal that was structured as a 3 year deal to save a few cap dollars this season. The 2nd and 3rd years have already been voided.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/percy-harvin/

It is possible that we re-sign him next season, but would be competing with other teams as he will be a FA.

I realize all this.....

but what happens if

Percy actually likes playing here and is tiring of moving around....he is bonding with his HC...his postional coach....etc etc

He is playing on a team that he is going to find a nich....but will not be the primary receiver

While I root for an injury free season.....Percy has not shown to be season long durable....perhaps now that he isnt being thrown to on every down he might find that durability

I think he might stay