NFL considers UB's research on schedule-making

This confirms all suspicions: the Bengals own Commissioner....

It all depends on where you draw the boundaries of the inquiry. They went way back in this article. I'd wager that the Pats* move way up that list if you look at only the last five or six years, for ex., as I seem to recall them having several recent seasons (not just the one mentioned) with zero or one (the avg per team should be two) such games. For ex., I remember us having a League record 9 or 10 such games over a 2 year period that saw them have like 1 such game, although I could be wrong as I'm too lazy to look that up.

For those downplaying the importance of this, I also recall a NYT article on NFL schedule making two years ago in which the maker was quoted as saying that by far the most frequent request he got was--wait for it---don't give us games against teams with extra rest. So it looks to me like teams, coaches and players would disagree with you on the level of importance here.

As noted above, I was very glad when Whaley basically called BS on this two years ago. Notice we haven't had any of those 4 or 5 game seasons since?

In a statement provided to ESPN.com, league spokesman Greg Aiello said the formula "is similar to what the NFL uses but differs in that it focuses only on fairness." Aiello added: "It does not, for example, take into consideration television ratings and other matters. We have always said that we look for the right balance between competitive issues and other considerations such as television. The idea of creating schedules that are supposedly 'fair' to all teams but don't give consideration to television ramifications and other matters, such as stadium conflicts, is unrealistic."

Basically, the Bills get screwed because the Bills suck, and the Bills suck, because the Bills get screwed.

For those downplaying the importance of this, I also recall a NYT article on NFL schedule making two years ago in which the maker was quoted as saying that by far the most frequent request he got was--wait for it---don't give us games against teams with extra rest. So it looks to me like teams, coaches and players would disagree with you on the level of importance here.

Not that nfl coaches or front offices cling to theories that don't have statistical backing. ::ahem::I'm going to punt on 4th and 1 on the opponents side of the field::cough::

I don't doubt that it's a slight advantage but just like some teams "get healthy" and "better game plan" others "lose routines."

Like I said, even if the flat percentage gap is accepted as a good ballpark were talking the bills being down a game from how its effect the team vs the league over the last decade. worth Whaley saying something? Sure. Worth a whoa is me the league is out to get us attitude? No way.

Is the NFL conspiring against the Bills? Doubtful. The NFL routinely does things so badly that if they had decided to conspire against us we would likely win a SuperBowl..

One thing the NFL does well is make $ from the TV nets. My GUESS IS THE bILLS have been unfairly scheduled by the networks, but this simply a side effect of the Bills producing such bad teams in our small market.

Not that nfl coaches or front offices cling to theories that don't have statistical backing. ::ahem::I'm going to punt on 4th and 1 on the opponents side of the field::cough::

I don't doubt that it's a slight advantage but just like some teams "get healthy" and "better game plan" others "lose routines."

Like I said, even if the flat percentage gap is accepted as a good ballpark were talking the bills being down a game from how its effect the team vs the league over the last decade. worth Whaley saying something? Sure. Worth a whoa is me the league is out to get us attitude? No way.

I don't think you can look at the percentages. Too many other factors.

2013 they had 5 teams coming off of a BYE or Thurs night game. The Bills also had their own BYE week mitigated by the Falcons playing Thurs the week before.

@ Jets - Loss

@ Dolphins - Win

Jets - Win

@ New Orleans - Loss

Falcons - Loss

@ Jaguars - Win

3 of our 6 division match ups had extra resting time and 37% of our games that year. While I don't believe it had playoff implications, we did only go 6-10, and this wasn't the reason. What if it did though? What if it was this past year and we beat the falcons and we are in the playoffs, and they are the 6th team we played with extra rest. I consider that unfair. It's up to the team to ultimately win on their own, but this isn't necessary.

Edited by What a Tuel

It's a Conspiracy I tell Ya! A GD Conspiracy!! We've known it all along! Just wait til female refs decide our outcomes. We ain't seen Nothin' yet!

JK. Our players, Coaches, GM's and yes, our 1st owner had so much more to do our dismal showing than any Hex that may have been imposed at work here. May the Native Americans buried under RWS now RIP. We're finally ready!

hahaahahahaha. hilarious man :thumbsup:

I don't think you can look at the percentages. Too many other factors.

2013 they had 5 teams coming off of a BYE or Thurs night game. The Bills also had their own BYE week mitigated by the Falcons playing Thurs the week before.

@ Jets - Loss

@ Dolphins - Win

Jets - Win

@ New Orleans - Loss

Falcons - Loss

@ Jaguars - Win

3 of our 6 division match ups had extra resting time and 37% of our games that year. While I don't believe it had playoff implications, we did only go 6-10, and this wasn't the reason. What if it did though? What if it was this past year and we beat the falcons and we are in the playoffs, and they are the 6th team we played with extra rest. I consider that unfair. It's up to the team to ultimately win on their own, but this isn't necessary.

Over time, should the stats be a reflect those other factors?

If two evenly matched teams play 10 times on a neutral field with one on 7 days rest and the other on 10/14, what split do you expect? im saying generally it'd still be about 5-5

Over time, should the stats be a reflect those other factors?

If two evenly matched teams play 10 times on a neutral field with one on 7 days rest and the other on 10/14, what split do you expect? im saying generally it'd still be about 5-5

I guess what I'm saying is that the stats don't represent two evenly matched teams playing 10 times on a neutral field, etc. It has 32 teams over a wide scale of skill, playing each other a number of different amount of times, sometimes with home field advantage, and sometimes without. If it was the former and it showed that then I would agree.

I'm with you on it being a minimal advantage, but it is at the very least an advantage. An unnecessary one at that, especially among division games.

Edited by What a Tuel

Best part is the pathetic statement that in addition to competitive issues, the NFL also considers television. At least they said what we always knew, that when it comes to setting criteria for the league on all levels, selling ads and maximizing profit always comes before the product on the field. Oh yeah, when you conduct research on schedule making as an academic endeavor Mr. Aiello, you probably aren't given stadium schedules and availability so you have to proceed without it. He tried to basically take a shot at undercutting their work by almost saying "And these idiots didn't even consider stadium availability."

My current refrain... the team I love plays in a league I detest as much as anything on this planet.

It absolutely HAS to be that way. TV pays the bills, at the end of the day football is just entertainment.