Pyramid Schemes

Penn and Teller did an episode of their series "Bulls..." on MLMs. I remember it being pretty informative (sorry, no link).

http://youtu.be/ncwj9iZ2oJ0

Then your rule of thumb is incorrect. It's really pretty simple, a pyramid scheme is a specifically defined, illegal action. MLM is a different type of sales technique, and you're perfectly within your right to not join and/or hate everything about the way it works, but at this point you don't really understand how it works, so you're making your judgment in ignorance; of course that's also your right.

In my opinion, I'm annoyed by almost all sales techniques. I'm the guy that hangs up on telemarketers mid sentence, pushes past sales people by the kiosks in malls, etc... It all drives me crazy. But that doesn't have anything to do with a business being a "scheme", illegal, or in some way immoral. It's all just different kinds of business.

EDIT: BTW, almost nothing "sells itself". There is always some form of advertising, even it's through word of mouth, and that's rare enough in the world of big business.

Penn & Teller humorously disagree. See above. And don't flatter yourself. Maybe it's you that doesn't get it? The difference between most MLM's and a pyramid scheme is the illusion of legitimacy with product and pitch. Really all you are doing is recruiting more sellers. You might as well just be asking for money straight up, ala pyramid.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://youtu.be/ncwj9iZ2oJ0

Penn & Teller humorously disagree. See above. And don't flatter yourself. Maybe it's you that doesn't get it? The difference between most MLM's and a pyramid scheme is the illusion of legitimacy with product and pitch. Really all you are doing is recruiting more sellers. You might as well just be asking for money straight up, ala pyramid.

Ah yes, certainly Penn & Teller know all about it. I do in fact know quite a lot on the subject, but honestly I don't care if you believe me more than the comedian magicians. I'm really not trying to sell anyone on MLM, just clarify the inaccuracies in the thread. There are lots of very detailed and informative books on the subject if you have enough interest in it to educate yourself.

Ah yes, certainly Penn & Teller know all about it. I do in fact know quite a lot on the subject, but honestly I don't care if you believe me more than the comedian magicians. I'm really not trying to sell anyone on MLM, just clarify the inaccuracies in the thread. There are lots of very detailed and informative books on the subject if you have enough interest in it to educate yourself.

Frankly, I trust them more than you.