[closed]Who wants to bet the Pats are first to abuse Medical Timeout

I like the idea of the proposed new rule that It gives independent injury spotters the chance to stop the game before checking a player who might be showing signs of a concussion. Sometimes concussed players don't have the presence of mind to check themselves out of a game, and might worsen their condition by staying in.

The problem is this rule is wide open to abuse by unethical teams, and if there is one thing the Patriots have shown over the years, they will twist, bend, stretch and downright violate any rule they think they can get away with, as long as it gives them an advantage.

I can picture it now: Pats driving late in the game with very little time left and no timeouts, Edelman catches the ball in the middle of the field, gets tackled hard, then stands up wobbling around and looking disoriented. There's no crime in that, its impossible to prove he's faking, but unlike the fake injury to stop the clock ruse, this one won't cost you a timeout or loss of down. The medical timeout is called by an independent person who thinks maybe the player really IS concussed. New England brings in their kicker (after having the snowblower guy come out of course), the kick is up.....and it's good.

They need to build something in this rule that doesn't assume all teams conduct themselves with class and ethics, otherwise the NFL is setting themselves up for another huge controversy. It's not fair to the other teams that play by the rules, or that don't have an owner that is best friends with the commissioner and know they can get away with anything, like Bloated Bob Kraft.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/robert-kraft-behind-roger-goodell-300m-salary-report-article-1.2092554

Edited by Webster Guy

Out of timeouts, under 2 minutes remain in the game. The 3rd string RB runs straight into the line and fakes being knocked out and concussed.

What is being done to make sure players cannot fake head injuries and use that as extra timeouts?

A 60 second run off? How will they prove the player is actually injured?

Imo

I like the idea of the proposed new rule that It gives independent injury spotters the chance to stop the game before checking a player who might be showing signs of a concussion. Sometimes concussed players don't have the presence of mind to check themselves out of a game, and might worsen their condition by staying in.

The problem is this rule is wide open to abuse by unethical teams, and if there is one thing the Patriots have shown over the years, they will twist, bend, stretch and downright violate any rule they think they can get away with, as long as it gives them an advantage.

I can picture it now: Pats driving late in the game with very little time left and no timeouts, Edelman catches the ball in the middle of the field, gets tackled hard, then stands up wobbling around and looking disoriented. There's no crime in that, its impossible to prove he's faking, but unlike the fake injury to stop the clock ruse, this one won't cost you a timeout or loss of down. The medical timeout is called by an independent person who thinks maybe the player really IS concussed. New England brings in their kicker (after having the snowblower guy come out of course), the kick is up.....and it's good.

They need to build something in this rule that doesn't assume all teams conduct themselves with class and ethics, otherwise the NFL is setting themselves up for another huge controversy. It's not fair to the other teams that play by the rules, or that don't have an owner that is best friends with the commissioner and know they can get away with anything, like Bloated Bob Kraft.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/robert-kraft-behind-roger-goodell-300m-salary-report-article-1.2092554

I can totally see this happening...my question is, is the medical examiner a team rep or assigned by the league who rotates every week like the refs? If it is a team rep then the other teams medical personnel should be able to examin the "so called" injured guy on the field and see if he is actually faking it or real.