Expanding playoffs is on the table at owner's meeting

Go learn the history of the league.

The NFL is the most progressive sports league in the world, the game completely reinvents itself from decade to decade over time. 6 teams in the NFL playoffs is a relatively new concept, all other things considered. Asking the NFL to remain static is like grumbling about pop-culture changing--it's bound to happen, don't be the grumpy old guy in the corner.

A conservative management style in a sports league is what Selig did to baseball. Every commissioner in NFL history has been progressive and forward thinking. Those two leagues are heading in two different directions, and have been for 30 years. The NFL isn't some "fad", and there's nothing "wrong" with baseball--the public just needs to accept a very basic fact: sports are pop entertainment.

As the will, wants, and hopes of the American public changes, the leagues need to be responsive to those changes. It's selling a product, not grandstanding on the pressing moral issues of the 21st century. I can almost guarantee that within 25 years, there will be "limited" commercial interruptions to the games, with ads all over the field, the jerseys and the scoreboard.

People sit here and bang on their computers all day and night:

"wah wah wah too many commercials the bills dont make the playoffs, not fair, you need an all world qb to do anything"

then, like a rat in a cage, you're given your food pellet of expanded playoffs. you might be a little disturbed at the sight of this pellet at first, but youll eat it, love it, and ask for more.

theres people a lot smarter, richer, and invested than YOU figuring out how to separate you from your dollar at NFL head quarters.

But please, return to your regularly scheduled goodell bashing.

What a fitting admonition, and followed by such a salient dissertation! I'm certain DC Tom appreciates that as much as I and many of the rest of us do. Thank you sir. You are an intelligent and erudite poster™. Indeed, We are fortunate to have you here™.

What a fitting admonition, and followed by such a salient dissertation! I'm certain DC Tom appreciates that as much as I and many of the rest of us do. Thank you sir. You are an intelligent and erudite poster. Indeed, We are fortunate to have you here.

I had to go back and check to see of it was Roger goodell posting this.

I don't see the point...other than a money move.

Someone said it will give more teams a chance at the big show...it would also make it that much harder to get there.

The garbage teams never make it to the Super Bowl anyways. (I decided to fact check myself. See below.)

Two bottom-seeded teams have won the Superbowl since 1990, the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers (against the top-seeded Seattle Seahawks) and the 2010 Green Bay Packers (against the second-seeded Pittsburg Steelers).

The garbage teams never make it to the Super Bowl anyways. (I decided to fact check myself. See below.)

Two bottom-seeded teams have won the Superbowl since 1990, the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers (against the top-seeded Seattle Seahawks) and the 2010 Green Bay Packers (against the second-seeded Pittsburg Steelers).

Below is the winner of the last 25 Superbowl's by seed.

Seed	Teams	% of SB Winners
First	11	44%
Second	6	24%
Third	1	4%
Fourth	4	16%
Fifth	1	4%
Sixth	2	8%

Below is a breakdown by seed of the teams that played in the Superbowl over the last 25 years.

Seed	Teams	% of SB Teams
First	25	50%
Second	13	26%
Third	2	4%
Fourth	7	14%
Fifth	1	2%
Sixth	2	4%
Interesting bit of trivia. Although the 5th and 6th seeds represent only 6% of the teams that have appeared in the Super Bowl those seeds have won all 3 Super Bowls they were in. What I also found interesting is in the Wild Card Playoffs the 5th seeded teams have won 32% of the games while the 6th seeded teams have won 38% of the games. That means the 3rd and 4th seeded teams win 62% and 68% of the time respectively. So basically your looking at the 5th or 6th seed making it to the big show once every 8 years or so.

You might be thinking that the 5th and 6th seeds are winning about a third of the wild card games and adding a 7th seed might not be so bad. With 7 teams the 7th seed would be playing the 2nd seed. Does anybody think a 7th seed will win a third of those games? I don't. I think more often than not those games will be a snoozer. How many fans are going to watch 5 full games in a weekend? I don't think there will be significantly more eyeballs watching the games on Wild Card weekend, they would just be spread over 5 games instead of 4.

I think the NFL is diluting the playoffs if they add another wildcard team. With 7 teams I would guess the percentage of number one seed teams making it to the Super Bowl goes up as they would be the only teams with a bye. To get rid of the bye there has to be 8 teams. That means half the teams go to the playoffs. No thank you. The playoffs should be special. Reserved for the teams that proved they were the best in the regular season. Not for every team that was above average.