Bledsoe on Parcells' radar

Bledsoe on Parcells' radar

Last season, Dallas coach Bill Parcells brought in Vinny Testaverde, his QB with the Jets. This season, could it be Drew Bledsoe, his QB with the Pats? Buffalo wants to go with J.P. Losman next season and Bledsoe's future with the Bills is tied to his willingness to accept a backup role. If he refuses, he could be gone. But it's no guarantee Bledsoe is an upgrade over Testaverde. . . . If Parcells doesn't turn the Cowboys around next season, my guess is it gets ugly between him and Jerry Jones. Can't imagine Parcells was very happy when Jones expressed disappointment after Parcells yanked Drew Henson at halftime on Thanksgiving and put Testaverde back in. Is that why Henson never got back on the field the rest of the season? . . . Parcells is serious about fixing the 'Boys. He's been in the office seven days a week, attended the Senior Bowl and will be at the Indy combine. . . .

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...3p-238362c.html

Oh yeah... if I'm Bill Parcells and my job is on the line, if I bring in Bledsoe to do that I might as well as put a bullett in my head.

The greatest attribute Bledsoe has ever had is tha he's a nice guy. As far as being an NFL QB??? Well, IMO, he's an absolute disgrace n that regard.

Newsflash to Parcells - Belichick isn't your coordinator anymore, and you suck without him.

229673[/snapback]

People can discount the point you just made all they want, but I completely agree with you. Parcells w/out Belichick is like Ditka w/out Ryan.

People can discount the point you just made all they want, but I completely agree with you. Parcells w/out Belichick is like Ditka w/out Ryan.

229782[/snapback]

You may be right, but let's see how Belichick does next year without Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel. Perhaps Belichick without Crennel will be like Parcells without Belicheck.

229782[/snapback]

Do you think Parcell's deserves any credit for:

1. the Boys turning around their record and making the playoffs in their first year under Parcells?

2. the Jets turn around of their record and move from horrendous to better but still inadequate under Parcells.

3. Being smart enough to hire Belichick to run to co-ordinate for him.

I think that certainly Parcells does a far better job with Belichick than without him, but Ditka simply has no record of success and a record of horrendous failure post the '85 Bears while Parcells did not win the SB with another team, but clearly did suceed in improving though not perfecting teams.

Also, falsely implict in your post is some sort of equivalence between between Belichick and Ryan which is simply not there. To that extent Parcells also has to be recognized for identifying, hiring and working well with Belicheck while Ditka did not work well with Ryan at all.

The analogy simply falls apart and that is even before you get the factual occurences that Belicheck deserves all the credit in the world for outstanding achievement with the Pats, but there are real worl limitations in his record which include:

1. A failed HC gig with Cleveland which far outpaces the single failure suffered in Parcell's career of this past year in Dallas.

2. His on-agin/off-again foray with the NYJ HC job which is an indicator of indecisiveness and potentially some character flaws in BB to go along with his coaching genius.

3. A testimony to BB's impressive work that geniuses are often those able to take advantage of the good luck that life delivers them. However, BB is clearly a genius who has been blessed with good luck. Part of this luck is testimony to his good skill in that he picked Brady in the 6th round over Tim Rattay when some Pats were advocating taking Rattay. However, some of his fortune has come from simple dumb luck as he showed every sign of being willing to go down the drain with Bledsoe as his QB in 2001 and he owes a great debt to Mo Lewis and the collapsed lung or his first SB win likely would not have occured. Also BB completelu misread and mismanaged the Milloy situation leading to an embarassing blow-out at the hand of the Bills, yet the confluence of a gut check provided for the team by a bad skein of injuries last year and him being good enough to build a TEAM-first ethic among the Pats (an ethic which interestingly Bledsoe was a key to upholding in 2001) which saw the Pats deal with the injuries and BB's mismanagement by sucking it up leading to and SB win last year.

Your post gives Parcells too little credit to be realistic and it also seems to recognize that BB is certainly a genius but in the end he is a very lucky genius and if it were not for dumb luck he may well be unemployed today (again).

1. the Boys turning around their record and making the playoffs in their first year under Parcells?

2. the Jets turn around of their record and move from horrendous to better but still inadequate under Parcells.

I think that certainly Parcells does a far better job with Belichick than without him, but Ditka simply has no record of success and a record of horrendous failure post the '85 Bears while Parcells did not win the SB with another team, but clearly did suceed in improving though not perfecting teams.

Also, falsely implict in your post is some sort of equivalence between between Belichick and Ryan which is simply not there.  To that extent Parcells also has to be recognized for identifying, hiring and working well with Belicheck while Ditka did not work well with Ryan at all.

The analogy simply falls apart and that is even before you get the factual occurences that Belicheck deserves all the credit in the world for outstanding achievement with the Pats, but there are real worl limitations in his record which include:

1. A failed HC gig with Cleveland which far outpaces the single failure suffered in Parcell's career of this past year in Dallas.

2. His on-agin/off-again foray with the NYJ HC job which is an indicator of indecisiveness and potentially some character flaws in BB to go along with his coaching genius.

3. A testimony to BB's impressive work that geniuses are often those able to take advantage of the good luck that life delivers them.  However, BB is clearly a genius who has been blessed with good luck.  Part of this luck is testimony to his good skill in that he picked Brady in the 6th round over Tim Rattay when some Pats were advocating taking Rattay.  However, some of his fortune has come from simple dumb luck as he showed every sign of being willing to go down the drain with Bledsoe as his QB in 2001 and he owes a great debt to Mo Lewis and the collapsed lung or his first SB win likely would not have occured.  Also BB completelu misread and mismanaged the Milloy situation leading to an embarassing blow-out at the hand of the Bills, yet the confluence of a gut check provided for the team by a bad skein of injuries last year and him being good enough to build a TEAM-first ethic among the Pats (an ethic which interestingly Bledsoe was a key to upholding in 2001) which saw the Pats deal with the injuries and BB's mismanagement by sucking it up leading to and SB win last year.

Your post gives Parcells too little credit to be realistic and it also seems to recognize that BB is certainly a genius but in the end he is a very lucky genius and if it were not for dumb luck he may well be unemployed today (again).

229811[/snapback]

Wow......well, as much as I appreciate your in-depth analysis, I think you read into it more than I meant. Parcells, IMO, is clearly a better coach than Ditka. But in all honesty, I think the role Belichick has played in his success is becoming more evident every day. Parcells, as you pointed out, does deserve a lot of credit. He's a very good coach. That said, I don't think Parcells is, or ever has been, the football mind that Belichick is. Belichick truly is a defensive mastermind. As for B.Ryan, I don't put him in the same category as Belichick, cause I don't think he was anywhere near as much of a strategist. Ryan was much more of a gambling, 'in your face', aggressive type of coordinator. He found people that fit his system and then basically taught them how to pressure the offense into submission according to his 46 system. The '85 Bears had 'Sweetness' and a solid O-line, but come on......do you really think Jim McMahon and Willie Gault could have led that team to success w/out a monster defense? As much as I like Ditka, he was more the beneficiary of Ryan than Ryan was of him. Same is true with Parcells, IMO.

Also, falsely implict in your post is some sort of equivalence between between Belichick and Ryan which is simply not there.  To that extent Parcells also has to be recognized for identifying, hiring and working well with Belicheck while Ditka did not work well with Ryan at all.

3. A testimony to BB's impressive work that geniuses are often those able to take advantage of the good luck that life delivers them.  However, BB is clearly a genius who has been blessed with good luck.  Part of this luck is testimony to his good skill in that he picked Brady in the 6th round over Tim Rattay when some Pats were advocating taking Rattay.  However, some of his fortune has come from simple dumb luck as he showed every sign of being willing to go down the drain with Bledsoe as his QB in 2001 and he owes a great debt to Mo Lewis and the collapsed lung or his first SB win likely would not have occured.  Also BB completelu misread and mismanaged the Milloy situation leading to an embarassing blow-out at the hand of the Bills, yet the confluence of a gut check provided for the team by a bad skein of injuries last year and him being good enough to build a TEAM-first ethic among the Pats (an ethic which interestingly Bledsoe was a key to upholding in 2001) which saw the Pats deal with the injuries and BB's mismanagement by sucking it up leading to and SB win last year.

229811[/snapback]

Although I agree with some of this post, I disagree that Ditka was a horrendous failure post-85. In 1986, the Bears posted a 14-2 record., 1987: 11-4. 1988: 12-4. 1989: (6-10, o.k., bad year...was that the year he had a heart attack?), 1990: 11-5. 1991: 11-5. I would not call those horrendous records. It was only in his last year with the Bears in 1992 and a couple with the Saints that he appeared washed up. If I'm not mistaken, the post-Ryan Bears defense in 1986 was better statistic wise than the 1985 defense, and I think I recall the players saying the 86 defense was better than the 85 defense. Their downfall that year was because Mcmahon was injured and they had no decent backup during that season (that's when Flutie played for them in the playoffs).

Also, was Belichick indecisive about not being the Jets head coach after Parcells left? I seem to remember he declined the position shortly after it was offered to him in a bizaar teary eyed press conference. but to be honest it's hard to remember the details. It seemed he felt he was forced into the head coaching job. Then he became the Patriots head coach shortly after. Maybe he had a pre-arranged deal with the Pats.

Parcells mess up his MO by being sucessful his first year with the Boyz. He usually starts off bad but has an upswing at the end of the season. Then gets all his ducks in a row for the second season. Unfortunately for him, he was so sucessful his first season, he didn't make all the changes he needed to fir his second season, if it aint broke....He was handcuffed into not making changes.

Yep Bledsoe is on Parcells radar according to the media.

229803[/snapback]

Uhh, here we go again. Both Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones made comments, after the Cowboys season was over, that they would make no change, barring injury or retirement, to their QB depth chart. As someone who has seen every snap Drew took over this past season, and near every one of Testeverde's snaps, I can attest, when they are bad, they are very very bad. When they are good, Testeverde gets the edge. Both have their issues, both are vets who played for Parcells. Difference is, when Bledsoe played with Parcells, the two disliked eachother immensely. Years later, they smoothed things over for the pre-game puff pieces, most of it bouquets being tossed to Parcells, by Drew. Parcells then went on to half-heartedly say that Drew was a "pretty good quarterback". Vinny, despite his mental shortcomings, and color-blindness, is a "Parcells guy." Hate Jones and Parcells as much as you want, but they are moving past the point where they are going to bring in another over-payed vetran QB...they are giving Henson every opportunity to win the starting job. The Cowboys, during the season, had intended to send Henson to Europe, to play in the spring. After the season was over, they decided against it, instead preferring that Henson stay in Dallas to learn....the Cowboys are not interested in Drew Bledsoe. This is just another example of national media types, who don't really know all the facts, putting two and two together, and getting ten! It makes sense on the surface (just like bringing in every NFL reject to replace Bledsoe does to many on the board), unless you actually stop and really think about it.

229782[/snapback]

So is Belichick the brains behind the Pats, or is it the OC and DC that he will be losing in about 12 hours? I may not know the answer to this question by the end of the day, but I will know by the end of next season!

229811[/snapback]

Parcells' record without BB is 37-43. Yeah I give him credit for turning the 'Boys around, the same way I give him blame for blowing them up this year for what is his team, after his houscleaning and playing in a weak NFC East.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. I really hope Dallas trades for Bledsoe. If the Bills get a 7th round pick for him and erase the cap money I would do it in less than a second.

229886[/snapback]

If you trade his or cut him, the Bills will still owe him $4 Million

Although I agree with some of this post,  I disagree that Ditka was a horrendous failure post-85. In 1986, the Bears posted a 14-2 record., 1987: 11-4. 1988: 12-4.  1989: (6-10, o.k., bad year...was that the year he had a heart attack?), 1990: 11-5. 1991: 11-5. I would not call those horrendous records. It was only in his last year with the Bears in 1992 and a couple with the Saints that he appeared washed up. If I'm not mistaken, the post-Ryan Bears defense in 1986 was better statistic wise than the 1985 defense, and I think I recall the players saying the 86 defense was better than the 85 defense. Their downfall that year was because Mcmahon was injured and they had no decent backup during that season (that's when Flutie played for them in the playoffs).

Also, was Belichick indecisive about not being the Jets head coach after Parcells left? I seem to remember he declined the position shortly after it was offered to him in a bizaar teary eyed press conference. but to be honest it's hard to remember the details. It seemed he felt he was forced into the head coaching job. Then he became the Patriots head coach shortly after. Maybe he had a pre-arranged deal with the Pats.

229832[/snapback]

Thanks and I stand corrected by your recounting of the post SB Ditka Bears. I grew up in Chicago and as a big tome Bears fan. The 85 team and winning the SB were big points in the sports life of this fan who came of age rooting for the Cubs, Bears and Bulls in the pre-Jordan era.

As ,y wife, a lifelong Buiffalo gal tacked back and forth toward our eventual marriage in 1989 I was actually in transition from being a Bears rooter to being a Bills rooter in the late 80s (yes, I'm a Bills fan for love) and thus eradicated the post SB Bear record from my memory banks.

Those were some great days though rooting for Ditka, Ryan and the Bears. I not only had the Super Bowl Shuffle on my answeing machine but was living with two good lookin' babes (it was all platonic as I was headed toward marrying my lovely wife) at the time. I remember and mention it because of a laughable response to the SB Shuffle from the Mom of one of the babes who was quite confused to hear a rap song on her daughter's answering machine.

Its tough to get better than being single, having beautiful women underfoot and rooting for an SB winner all in the same year!

Its tough to get better than being single, having beautiful women underfoot and rooting for an SB winner all in the same year!

229895[/snapback]

You had beautiful women underfoot? lol That's an odd word to use, bro