doesnt defense win championships

Seem a lot of national media is knocking the rex hire because he's a defense guy. Isn't the nfl a copy cat league and isn't Seattle the favor of the year. Great defense, can run the ball at will, mobile qb who can throw high percentage pass and make plays with his legs.

I think championship team are more often sucessful with great defense then offenses. It seem most super bowl winner in the past 10 years were successful because of there defense. Peyton only won 1 with all his great offenses. Brady won 2 before he was tommy terrific and had a defense that would alway make hugh play when needed. Other then colts, saints, packers, most super bowl winners depended on their defense.

What would blabber-mouth Rex Ryan know about winning football championships?

In six seasons he went 46-50 with the NY Jets.

His first two years in NY he was able to capitalize on the a lot of personnel that was there before he was HC.

In his last four years with the Jets the best he could accomplish was 8-8 - twice.

What would blabber-mouth Rex Ryan know about winning football championships?

In six seasons he went 46-50 with the NY Jets.

His first two years in NY he was able to capitalize on the a lot of personnel that was there before he was HC.

In his last four years with the Jets the best he could accomplish was 8-8 - twice.

So, when he had a good roster, he was able to make the AFC Championship game with a crappy QB, twice. When he had a ****ty roster, he didn't do so well. SHOCKING. Give him some talent and see what happens.

Rex Ryan has basically fielded a top 10 defense in his last six years with the Jets 6th, 11th, 8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st. To what result you ask?

Where did it get him against the AFC East division, and more importantly against the Patriots HC Bill Belichick

(2009 9-7 wildcard), (2010 11-5 wildcard), (2011 8-8), (2012 6-10), (2013 8-8), (2014 4-12) 3-9 overall against the Patriots in his six years, and 1-7 the last four. Never even won the division in six years.

Extrapolated over the season orton was a 4000 td passer.

not sure if you meant this to be in agreement with what I posted or not.

Yes, Orton had (at times) very good passing numbers. He even broke some of Jim Kelly's game stats.

And in the end what good did it do? We had a basically .500 QB and no playoffs to show for it. Horrible at least 2 4th QRT shut outs in Nov and Dec.

See the ZERO points against the Putrids 2nd string D

Those two things are almost the same in 2015.

I beg to differ.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

yes Orton had (at times)very good passing numbers. He even broke some of Jim Kelly's game stats.

And in the end what good did it do? We had a basically .500 QB and no playoffs to show for it.

Sort of my point. People scoff at the passer rating, but 8/10 highest passer ratings saw their team make the playoffs. The exceptions? Brees and Fitz (yes fitz was a top ten passer in 2014.)

YPA and lack of ints... That's the key.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think championship team are more often sucessful with great defense thAn offenses......

Rather than simply thinking a view like that, you could go through the stats and actually see if it is correct.

If you were to go through the stats you would find that since 2000 nearly all of the SB winners have at least had some areas on D that were largely deficient(not dominant).....that most Ds overall were not dominant.....and more teams with bad Defenses have won than dominant Defenses.

Times change. I personally think the reason is more due to the concept that it much harder to build a dominant defence than in years past......but that is pure speculation. The reality is that many more teams are now winning the SB without dominant Ds.

Rather than simply thinking a view like that, you could go through the stats and actually see if it is correct.

If you were to go through the stats you would find that since 2000 nearly all of the SB winners have at least had some areas on D that were largely deficient(not dominant).....that most Ds overall were not dominant.....and more teams with bad Defenses have won than dominant Defenses.

Times change. I personally think the reason is more due to the concept that it much harder to build a dominant defence than in years past......but that is pure speculation. The reality is that many more teams are now winning the SB without dominant Ds.

Yah the QB teams just get more cracks at it. I am pretty confident the Colts&Packers will have elite offenses in 2019. For best defenses in 2017, you might as well throw darts.

The Bills had a great defense last year and they failed to make the playoffs. I agree that a strong defense is vital and you have to start somewhere, but it appears to be a QB-driven league and that's what we lack. Seattle has an amazing defense. If Tavaris Jackson (who I believe is back on their roster), EJ Manuel or Kyle Orton was their starting QB, would they have won the SB last year? Would they be the 1st seed in the NFC this year? Where would the Patriots be without Brady, the Colts without Luck and the Packers without Rodgers? That's why I'm not particularly fond of the Ryan hiring. With Schwartz and the D we have already in place, we needed an offensive minded HC. Marrone was supposed to be that, but obviously, that did not prove to be the case. If Roman can do that as OC, we'll be fine, but that remains to be seen. Our team is similar to many that Ryan has coached and he had some early success, but ultimately was not good enough to get to the Super Bowl, and the Jests have been between average and horrible the last few seasons. Idzik was a terrible GM, no doubt, but Ryan certainly was not able to make it work.