Parenting question.....

LabattBlue

Thanks to all for the advice.  My instincts tell me that this is not up for discussion again until at least the age of 12 and even then I may still ask for at least one parent to be with my daughter and her friends.

PS On a side note...She asks constantly for IM and I keep saying no.  If she wants to talk with her friends, pick up the phone.  I know nothing about IM as I think it is completely useless.  Is there a way to set a filter on it, so you can only send/receive messages from certain people?

229865[/snapback]

IM can be a helpful research tool or for homework help. You can buy software that monitors all chatting programs. And yes, you can set up all of them so that they can only chat with those on your kid's contact lists.

Trust a little but don't be blind to what they do! The Internet is here to stay and will be around when your grandchildren are born.

I thought the deodorent commercial ("Mama's boy") was fitting for this thread, especailly when the mom doll says, "Come on, do you want to get yourself kidnapped???" :lol:

CW

230082[/snapback]

:doh:

Yes, there are extremes both ways. :lol:

IM can be a helpful research tool or for homework help.  You can buy software that monitors all chatting programs.  And yes, you can set up all of them so that they can only chat with those on your kid's contact lists. 

Trust a little but don't be blind to what they do!  The Internet is here to stay and will be around when your grandchildren are born.

229998[/snapback]

I'm struggling with taking parenting advice from a poster who has the title of "Playboy" under his avatar. :doh:

PS Thanks for the IM information. :lol:

And yet you said pretty much the same thing as I did.....  Drop 'em off and pick 'em up at specific times. :doh:

Besides, decisions should be made with logic, not emotions, fears, joys and stresses.  That's why I think a non-parents perspective is a useful one - we're more level-headed.

CW

229684[/snapback]

That's the most arrogant and ignorant thing I've ever heard. y daughter is only 19 months old, and yet I'm already TERRIFIED by some stuff she does (jumping on the couch, etc...).

My plan is to stay in constant communitcation with her, even through her teenage years if possible, and do father/daughter activities (bowling, dinners, etc..>) so I can stay connected and involved with her. IMO, that's the best way. Know your kid. If you know who they are, you know what they're going to do and what limits they need set. And believe you me, Mr. "I don't have a kid", children NEED limits.

I'm on over protective father and damn proud of it.

Why am I overprotective?

Because the downside far outweighs the upside. What they miss by me not letting my kids go places I don't think they should by themselves is so insignificant compared to the possible harm to them. They have lots of time to learn independence to that degree.

At one time I thought like you did. Then I had kids. It changes your whole perspective. I don't think the world is any more dangerous than it was 20 or 30 years ago, the bad is publicized much better by a state controlled media now. It is more dangerous than it was 40 or 50 years ago though. I also live in a more dangerous area than I did when growing up.

And I remember arguing with my parents about going out with others my age during my early and mid teens just like kids do today.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not a parent, which means that everyone will probably just dismiss my entire post.  But since I'm working on a Saturday night and have nothing better to do than wait for my damn servers to finish patching, I'll tell you anyway :doh:

Personally, I think parents are way too overprotective.  The reason I always hear is, "The world isn't as safe a place as it was when I was a kid."  Well you know what, that's a load of hooey.  EVERY generation says "things were better back in the day."  Hell, I STILL hear people complain about cars, saying that that cars nowadays are made like junk.  Excuse me?  They're actually much more reliable today than they were 20-30 years ago.

But I digress.  I was struck by an episode of "All in the Family" I saw a few weeks ago.  Michael and Gloria were talking about having kids and Michael goes off on her saying, (paraphrasing) "No way, this world is not a safe place to bring kids into!  There's polution, wars, kidnapping, etc, we're not bringing kids into this world!"  Sound familar?

Personally, I think a lot of the crap you see on TV and read in the papers has been going on forever, but you just never heard about it.  With the power of internet, you can read about stuff that you NEVER would've seen before.  You think the article about the girls who were sued (and lost) because they tried giving cookies to their neighbor would've made the nightly news?  Doubtful.  So you hear all this crap and assume things are getting worse.  I disagree.

How many kids are there in this country?  80,000,000?  More?  But you hear a few stories in a year and you want to wrap them in bubble-wrap?

I'd have no problem sending my 11-12 to the mall or a movie or something for a few hours with her friends.  I'd drop her off at the mall and she better be ready to be picked up at a specific time or she'd be grounded for awhile.  But kids need to learn independence and not be coddled their entire lives.  That's how they become adults.

Ok, off my (childlress) soapbox. :doh:

CW

229565[/snapback]