Head Coach Candidate: Urban Meyer

I'm on board with the idea of a college coach, and particularly like offensive innovators like Malzahn and Briles, but you get the feeling that no college coach could make the jump to the NFL better than Meyer. He's a lot like Harbaugh, in his single-minded commitment to winning, and he's usually identified good coordinators (with the possible exception of Addazio).

If OSU loses to Oregon, there's no way he's leaving Columbus. But if OSU wins the championship, I wonder if he wouldn't consider testing himself in the pro game ... for the right price.

There's a reason why the list of college coaches that have failed is long in this league. It's just an entirely different proposition coaching grown men who get paid to play the game. Not saying Meyer couldn't do it, just that history is against him.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, Tressel is the President at Youngstown. I don't think Urban would come to the NFL. Remember when he left Florida (actually quit twice didn't he?) because of stress / family / health reasons. He seems to have found the right balance at OSU, jumping to the NFL would seriously impact his quality of life and I don't believe he is up for it at this time.

Great win though, how overrated is the SEC this year? Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, Alabama, LSU. 5 top 25 teams losing their bowl games. Ouch. The only ones to win were Mizzou and Georgia and they played significantly lower ranked teams. Alabama, Miss State, and LSU all played teams ranked lower than them too.

Urban has top notch assistants and recruits elite athletes while being one of the best coaches of the "mental" part of the game I've seen. And I'm conviced he could have made Jeff Tuel into a Heisman candidate. He is the QB whisperer.

The best part of his coaching game is he does not give up on guys who make mistakes. He did it with Jalin Marshall earlier this year on the fumbles and then he exploded the more he played. Can you imagine if he had benched Zeke Elliot after his early fumble last night? He has supreme confidence in his players and they respond. He didn't tell Cardale Jones "just don't lose this game for us." He told him "go out there and win this goddam game for us."

Funny to think that in Jan 2007 he beat heavily favored OSU in the national title game with Florida, which started a "changing of the guard" to the SEC dominance. Eight years later...

Edited by YoloinOhio