Could Marrone actually be a DEFENSIVE minded coach?

TheFunPolice

If that's true how Doug feels then why was that the first time we heard of him saying it?

Why would they draft a QB when they did if building a defense which wasn't whst it is now at the time instead of a defensive player to improve the defense?

Marrone is a ridiculously conservative coach which isn't the same as a defensive minded head coach.

Not to mention since he got here, we have spent three number ones on offensive players, two of our three number twos on offensive players, and this year traded for two offensive players (while trading one away), and I think more of our off season FA have been offensive players (or it's even).

Not to mention since he got here, we have spent three number ones on offensive players, two of our three number twos on offensive players, and this year traded for two offensive players (while trading one away), and I think more of our off season FA have been offensive players (or it's even).

I don't understand. We're only starting to build the offense now because we've spent the last 4 years building the defense. The only offensive first rounder we had prior to Marrone was Spiller. The only one. Compared to the defense who has Leo, Gilmore, Dareus, all top 10 picks. Our 1sts with Marrone has been Sammy (who is playing well, even if you think it's despite the coaching) and a middling QB prospect who played himself out of a job. You can't put the failures of a project QB solely on the coaches. Especially when the position has a very high bust rate. Also, second rounders and FA. Corey Graham vs Chris Williams? Mario Williams/Spikes vs Urbik/Pears? Kiko vs Glenn?

You can't tell me with a straight face that the resources poured into the defense even comes close to the ones in the offense.

Edited by FireChan

I think the ol has gotten better...

From awful to mediocre but they have improved imo

A bit. From last year to this year, all three starters, Glenn, Wood, and Pears all seem to have regressed. It's possible that Glenn's illness had something to do with it. Pears was put in a bad and difficult position. Wood and Glenn had to compensate for poor guard play. I'm not sure what you could say about Urbik considering what happened to him, but the fact is, these guys are worse than they were.

I don't understand. We're only starting to build the offense now because we've spent the last 4 years building the defense. The only offensive first rounder we had prior to Marrone was Spiller. The only one. Compared to the defense who has Leo, Gilmore, Dareus, all top 10 picks. Our 1sts with Marrone has been Sammy (who is playing well, even if you think it's despite the coaching) and a middling QB prospect who played himself out of a job. You can't put the failures of a project QB solely on the coaches. Especially when the position has a very high bust rate. Also, second rounders and FA. Corey Graham vs Chris Williams? Mario Williams/Spikes vs Urbik/Pears? Kiko vs Glenn?

You're right, but I was only referring to specifically what Marrone said. That "he" believes in building a defense first. We had a crappy defense before he got here although we had some good players, but most all of the top resources were spent on his offense since he got here. What happened before he got here has little to do with him building.

I'm not saying the picks were wrong, I liked most of them. And we did need to shore up the offense. But what he said, and what a few posters were referencing, seemed dumb to others and myself, so we brought up why.

I agree that you are thinking too much. Marrone is an offensive mind. That doesn't mean that he can't realize that this team has a strong defense and a weak offense. I think his in game decisions are because of that recognition.....not because he is a defensive mind.

A bit. From last year to this year, all three starters, Glenn, Wood, and Pears all seem to have regressed. It's possible that Glenn's illness had something to do with it. Pears was put in a bad and difficult position. Wood and Glenn had to compensate for poor guard play. I'm not sure what you could say about Urbik considering what happened to him, but the fact is, these guys are worse than they were.

You're right, but I was only referring to specifically what Marrone said. That "he" believes in building a defense first. We had a crappy defense before he got here although we had some good players, but most all of the top resources were spent on his offense since he got here. What happened before he got here has little to do with him building.

I'm not saying the picks were wrong, I liked most of them. And we did need to shore up the offense. But what he said, and what a few posters were referencing, seemed dumb to others and myself, so we brought up why.

Ah, missed the beginning part. Sorry.