Hackett.. Screen Salesman of the year/ K Gun is Dead

Bocephuz

I try to be objective and generally have not been a Hackett hater. My general impression watching in real time was that we relied too heavily on the screen pass today. It's hard to tell in real time whether a screen is a dump off or a called play so I went back and watched the DVR to see if my eyes had been deceiving me.

So I'm watching the DVR is slo motion and it is Q1 .. We are on the Denver 45 3rd and 11. O line has been holding up well so far.. Giving Orton time. Watching in real time I thought that Orton was forced to dump off to Freddy due to a heavy pass rush... But upon further review Urbik Wood and Pears are bailing on pass protect and are pulling out to the right in anticipation to block the screen for Freddy... and it's clearly a called screen. Play ends in Freddy getting tackled at the 40 ( out of field goal range). We end up going for it on 4th and 5 and don't convert.

Momentum is gone and we never get it back. ( b.s. penalties shortly after this don't help). Logic tells you Orton for whatever reason excels at 3rd or 4th and long.. O line is holding up well so far

.. Why cripple yourself with a screen pass there?

This failure of a crucial play is 100% on Hackett. If I'm Marrone.. And I'm gonna continue on with Orton .. A vet QB who knows the offense by now.. I'm stripping Hackett of his play calling duties and letting Orton call the plays from now on.

Granted... Whether or not Orton deserves to keep starting is a whole nother ball of wax.. But if you're gonna go with the vet let him call the plays a la Manning or Kelly. After all... Wasn't Hackett supposed to bring about the second coming of the K-Gun? A screen on 3rd and 11 is very un K Gun. Not letting the QB call the plays is very un K Gun. I'm quite sure Orton in his aggressive nature would not call a screen on 3rd and 11

Edited by Bocephuz

Actually we don't know if Orton would call the screen either....but I would take the playcalling out of our OCs hands. In the beginning of the game I thought the playcalls were ok, nice misdirection plays.... but as seemingly always, that didn't last. I don't know if it is Marone or Hackett but what happened to use this set of plays until they stop it. They seem to change things up for no reason, every effing week.

Receivers were not getting open early . What else can he do but take what they give him

That is a possibility..it's hard to see that kind of thing on the TV broadcast view but I think I will take a look at it once the All 22 coaches film comes out.

I try to be objective and generally have not been a Hackett hater. My general impression watching in real time was that we relied too heavily on the screen pass today. It's hard to tell in real time whether a screen is a dump off or a called play so I went back and watched the DVR to see if my eyes had been deceiving me.

So I'm watching the DVR is slo motion and it is Q1 .. We are on the Denver 45 3rd and 11. O line has been holding up well so far.. Giving Orton time. Watching in real time I thought that Orton was forced to dump off to Freddy due to a heavy pass rush... But upon further review Urbik Wood and Pears are bailing on pass protect and are pulling out to the right in anticipation to block the screen for Freddy... and it's clearly a called screen. Play ends in Freddy getting tackled at the 40 ( out of field goal range). We end up going for it on 4th and 5 and don't convert.

Momentum is gone and we never get it back. ( b.s. penalties shortly after this don't help). Logic tells you Orton for whatever reason excels at 3rd or 4th and long.. O line is holding up well so far

.. Why cripple yourself with a screen pass there?

This failure of a crucial play is 100% on Hackett. If I'm Marrone.. And I'm gonna continue on with Orton .. A vet QB who knows the offense by now.. I'm stripping Hackett of his play calling duties and letting Orton call the plays from now on.

Granted... Whether or not Orton deserves to keep starting is a whole nother ball of wax.. But if you're gonna go with the vet let him call the plays a la Manning or Kelly. After all... Wasn't Hackett supposed to bring about the second coming of the K-Gun? A screen on 3rd and 11 is very un K Gun. Not letting the QB call the plays is very un K Gun. I'm quite sure Orton in his aggressive nature would not call a screen on 3rd and 11

Orton excels at nothing. They actually came in with a good game plan to get the ball in there receivers hands, keep the chains moving, eat up clock and keep manning off the field. Denver adjusted by spying Freddy and jamming the receivers which forced us back to our base offense that happens to be bad. We just do not have the talent to attack a good defense like Denvers, Its big gamble having to throw it down field because Orton is bad which we saw from his INTs when we where forced to throw it down field, our oline is not solid, and lets face it Freddy is not what he used to be.

The Bills run game was actually working at the start of the game, and the play calling was something we haven't seen much of either. Fake reverses, end around to Goodwin. I was wondering if Marrone was calling the offensive plays.

But then once the Bills were down by two scores the real Hackett emerged, and nothing but pass plays the rest of the game. What team wins games by throwing 57 times vs 16 rushes?

The screen is likely done knowing they'e going for it on 4th. It's a safer play, little risk of losing yards, maintains their ability to try the next down as well. Also, it's likely trying to take advantage of the strong upfield pass rush the Broncos have.

The screen is likely done knowing they'e going for it on 4th. It's a safer play, little risk of losing yards, maintains their ability to try the next down as well. Also, it's likely trying to take advantage of the strong upfield pass rush the Broncos have.

That may have been their thinking there.. however..that mentality is very passive. I seem to recall Russ Brandon saying that the team would have an "Aggressive, Attacking Mentality" going forward under new leadership. Calling a screen on 3rd and 11 to set yourself up to go for it on 4th down hardly fits that bill.

The Bills run game was actually working at the start of the game, and the play calling was something we haven't seen much of either. Fake reverses, end around to Goodwin. I was wondering if Marrone was calling the offensive plays.

But then once the Bills were down by two scores the real Hackett emerged, and nothing but pass plays the rest of the game. What team wins games by throwing 57 times vs 16 rushes?

The fake reverse thing would have been a good idea if they Broncos actually had some tape of Goodwin busting a long reverse at sometime in the past to scare them and make them pause. To my recollection Hackett called a double reverse fake screen pass twice and it failed miserably both times. The double reverse fake screen call is the definition of overthinking and unnecessarily mucking things up.

Orton excels at nothing. They actually came in with a good game plan to get the ball in there receivers hands, keep the chains moving, eat up clock and keep manning off the field. Denver adjusted by spying Freddy and jamming the receivers which forced us back to our base offense that happens to be bad. We just do not have the talent to attack a good defense like Denvers, Its big gamble having to throw it down field because Orton is bad which we saw from his INTs when we where forced to throw it down field, our oline is not solid, and lets face it Freddy is not what he used to be.

It's one thing to have a nice scripted offensive game plan to start the game ( which admittedly worked well in Q1) but once the opposing D makes the adjustment ( ie.. jamming receivers) the coaching staff needs to be able to effectively counter said adjustment. Seems to me focusing on running the ball to set up some sort of play action is a good way to loosen up the cb jamming effect. Hackett's M.O. is to throw the ball 40+ ( or in this game 50+) if the original gameplan goes awry. Clearly having Kyle Orton throw 40+ times in a game ( as he has done in the majority of his starts) is not a good gameplan. I have to think Orton himself knows this. I'd have to think that if Orton was calling the plays that he would rely on the run more if nothing else to make himself look better. Everyone knows that Orton is not an elite QB and I believe the fans, as well as Orton.. would be satisfied if he just played the game manager role. Again.. getting back to my original point that we fans were sold that this Hackett offense was supposed to be built on the K Gun principles. .. and the heart of the K-Gun is the QB Calling plays, and hurry up offense.. both of which we've seen very little or none of since Orton took over. EJ ( a much greener QB) ran the no huddle more than Orton runs it now. The K Gun contrary to popular belief was very balanced as well. Marrone/Hackett need to find an Offensive identity quickly before Russ gets impatient.

Edited by Bocephuz