Commitment to Routine Makes Jerry Hughes Special

He plays wide 9 in the new scheme a lot, I think it has actually helped the run D somehow doing that but honestly I can't figure out why. He has made Lawson seem expendable, Manny hasn't been seeing the field that much unless the QB is a runner and he has been beat a couple of times when that happened.

As everyone seems to be saying, I also hope they find a way to pay the man.

in this case, scheme may not have been the best word, as i was getting more at being the 4th best player on the line instead of the #1 player on the line. the scheme pushing a ton of talent in the front 4.

Hughes was a 1st round pick for a reason. Let's not act as if he's some lucky stiff making his living from playing with Kyle, Marcell and Mario.

I disagree. Hughes was a first round pick and at TCU he had no Mario Williams or Manny Lawson. He was the guy the other team targeted defensively, and he still got his. This team hasn't had an identity since the early 90's, this DL can be what Buffalo is recognized for. I'm all for keeping him. However, i also have my eye on 49ers OG Mike Iupati. They might let him hit the market.

I VE BEEN WATCHING THE 49ers as well they have a qb to sign last year alex boone was tagged so likely he wont be this year ( not sure if he did a tender deal or extension).iupati or boone would be good fa pickups .

Hughes was a 1st round pick for a reason. Let's not act as if he's some lucky stiff making his living from playing with Kyle, Marcell and Mario.

i didnt act like hes a stiff - just not sure if hes a top 5-10 pass rusher or if hes a little closer to average and getting the perks of being on a great line. he was a first rounder for a reason but he was also was traded for kelvin sheppherd for a reason. i love having him in our rotation but i will be curious to see where the front office and coaches value both him and the position coming up. thats all.

LOL

Article posted Dec 2014....

"Hughes posted his first sack of the 2014 season last Sunday. One might think in a contract year that he’s focused on personal stats or a Pro Bowl nod, but Hughes’ goals are different."

Yeah, this is a copy job from earlier in the year.

Personally, I think Hughes is a 5-8 sack guy on a weaker line, he'll still get some sacks, he still has a motor, but he won't get the crazy numbers with defenses not having to worry about KW and Dareus next to him.

I hope we can keep him, because I like him on this line, he fits well. But more than likely the Bills won't pay him what another team might (likely a team desperate for a pass rush). I could see him going to another team, being a "disappointment", and losing out on money down the line, when he's cut/replaced for someone more well rounded.

I know Atl is one of those teams and they already proved in the P. Price deal they will pay top dollar for a #2 tier player! Ha

I could not agree more with you saying Hughes is most likely a 5-8sack guy. He also is average at run stuffing.

I know finding another Hughes is not easy. I think the Bills will feel that with Kiko's return they will not lose much on D.

It's hard to believe that Hughes is just 6'2" and 254. I mean, he isn't much if any bigger then many of us here, including me. Yet, I doubt I could even get to the light switch in less then 10 seconds and it is only 10' away. This guy moves 10 yards in 4 seconds and through a wall of men.

What these guys do is amazing.

He plays wide 9 in the new scheme a lot, I think it has actually helped the run D somehow doing that but honestly I can't figure out why. He has made Lawson seem expendable, Manny hasn't been seeing the field that much unless the QB is a runner and he has been beat a couple of times when that happened.

As everyone seems to be saying, I also hope they find a way to pay the man.

The wide 9 creates space for pressure and opens up the OL to cover their men. As the OL spread the pocket to reach their outside man they leave lanes open. Those lanes are very easily filled in 1 on 1 matchups with a run stuffing LB. Going in to this season it was very important we secured the skills of Brandon Spikes to fill this roll. Now that others are stepping up nicely it has shown to be a little less significant then originally projected, but Brandon Spikes is still a vital player for our team and it is important, IMO, to have him back next year. We have a solid D and there is no sense in taking any steps backward when a player is likely set to be very affordable.

A lot will depend upon Marrone staying. If he goes, I definitely want Brandon Spikes back because he is a quality player that can contribute in any scheme. If Marrone is back and all other things are equal, who knows.

Someone also floated the idea that maybe Mario would redo his contract a little for Hughes, since they are buddy buddy.