[SUW] MP3 Player of Choice at Microsoft

Moose

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Gates never invented anything.I bristle when he mentions the word 'innovation'.

I've got to hand it to the guy for being such a shrewd businessman,but the fact of the matter is Microsoft is a cancer in the marketplace and it's products are generally second rate...

226384[/snapback]

A cancer? Come on now.

I hate Microshaft as much as the next guy, but 90% of the world's PCs run on Windows. More people by a wide margin use Office over any other app.

A cancer? I think not. They've got to be doing SOMETHING right, even if it isn't as pretty as Mac.

As an aside, I work in a mixed shop (some OSX, lotsa XP) and as a professional, I'd say XP is FAR easier to manage than OSX.

Yeah, I hate Bill Gates and the PC industry for driving competition and keeping prices low.  What a dick.

226515[/snapback]

???

You might make that case for Dell, but I fail to see how MS is driving competition and keeping prices of anything low.... Perhaps in those markets they where they give away stuff to drive out competitors, but certainly not in the office suite or system software market.

As an aside, I work in a mixed shop (some OSX, lotsa XP) and as a professional, I'd say XP is FAR easier to manage than OSX.

226494[/snapback]

"Earthlink and WebRoot Software have completed a quarterly spyware audit, documenting the current malware plague:

Results from the report, which tracked the growth of spyware on consumer PCs since the report's inception on January 1, 2004, show the instances of system monitors rose 230 percent, while the instances of Trojans rose 114 percent from October 2004 to December 2004. Trojans, keystroke loggers and system monitors are capable of capturing keystrokes, online screenshots, and personally identifiable information like your social security number, bank account numbers, logins and passwords, or credit card numbers. "

http://finance.lycos.com/qc/news/story.aspx?story=46604321

???

You might make that case for Dell, but I fail to see how MS is driving competition and keeping prices of anything low....  Perhaps in those markets they where they give away stuff to drive out competitors, but certainly not in the office suite or system software market.

226627[/snapback]

Really? I remember when a loaded PC cost over $5K. Now you get significantly more powerful and functional software (mostly from Microsoft) with more capable hardware for under $1500. Your TV cheaper today? Mine wasn't.

The PC I just bought has a DVD/CDRW, GB of RAM, 160GB HDD, 128MB Video card, 19" LCD monitor, MS Office, XP Pro, along with abunch of bundled software and it was $1299 shipped to my door.

I'm not saying Microsoft is infallible (I pretty much hate their crap and think they are the ultimate "Hotpockets" company) but they are a huge reason why the average Joe can even hook up to the "innernet".

The big dog on the block gives everyone something to shoot at.

Really?  I remember when a loaded PC cost over $5K.  Now you get significantly more powerful and functional software (mostly from Microsoft) with more capable hardware for under $1500.  Your TV cheaper today?  Mine wasn't.

The PC I just bought has a DVD/CDRW, GB of RAM, 160GB HDD, 128MB Video card, 19" LCD monitor, MS Office, XP Pro, along with abunch of bundled software and it was $1299 shipped to my door.

I'm not saying Microsoft is infallible (I pretty much hate their crap and think they are the ultimate "Hotpockets" company) but they are a huge reason why the average Joe can even hook up to the "innernet".

The big dog on the block gives everyone something to shoot at.

226654[/snapback]

What does MS have to do with lower hardware costs? :(

TVs have come WAY down in price; 6 years ago, I bought a crappy 32" TV that doesn't even have s-video inputs and paid about $850 for it. Today, I can buy a 32" TV with s-video AND component inputs for $350:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ronics&n=507846

Cheap DVD players cost $20 nowadays, compared to $150 several years ago.

Harddrives used to cost a fortune, now they can be had for less than 50 cents a gig.

I'll admit that they're software is getting (somewhat) better; but then again, they really had nowhere to go but up, and a lot of their "innovation" has come from simply buying out other companies (BrightMail, anyone?)

Microsoft (nor any other software vendor) hasn't had much of anything to do with these falling prices; it's just more and more people are buying PCs, so the economy of scales kicks in.

CW

"Earthlink and WebRoot Software have completed a quarterly spyware audit, documenting the current malware plague:

Results from the report, which tracked the growth of spyware on consumer PCs since the report's inception on January 1, 2004, show the instances of system monitors rose 230 percent, while the instances of Trojans rose 114 percent from October 2004 to December 2004. Trojans, keystroke loggers and system monitors are capable of capturing keystrokes, online screenshots, and personally identifiable information like your social security number, bank account numbers, logins and passwords, or credit card numbers. "

http://finance.lycos.com/qc/news/story.aspx?story=46604321

226637[/snapback]

Everyone needs to take care of their computer's security. I offer a community education class locally, but for my TSW brothers and sisters, I offer the class notes for free:

http://www.fezam.com/security

Everyone should at least glance it over. I'm open to comments and potential additions as well (I'm teaching it again in March). PM me.

CW

Really?  I remember when a loaded PC cost over $5K.  Now you get significantly more powerful and functional software (mostly from Microsoft) with more capable hardware for under $1500.

You apparently don't know the difference between hardware technology and software technology. Microsoft's software is designed to meet the changing needs of technology for the most part, not the other way around.

You know Bill, if our product didn't suck I wouldn't have bought one of these!!!

226301[/snapback]

It just comes to show that MicroCrap is not an American company that espouses American ideals. They shouldn't B word and complain; they should put out a competing product that equals the Ipod and shut up!

Everyone needs to take care of their computer's security.  I offer a community education class locally, but for my TSW brothers and sisters, I offer the class notes for free:

http://www.fezam.com/security

Everyone should at least glance it over.  I'm open to comments and potential additions as well (I'm teaching it again in March).  PM me.

CW

226658[/snapback]

Oh dear! And in this thread to boot:

This presentation contains content that your browser may not be able to show properly. This presentation was optimized for more recent versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer.

If you would like to proceed anyway, click here.

BTW, I'm using Firefox.

Oh dear!  And in this thread to boot:

This presentation contains content that your browser may not be able to show properly. This presentation was optimized for more recent versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer.

BTW, I'm using Firefox.

226679[/snapback]

Yeah, click there and it works just fine. I use the PowerPoint feature to automatically make HTML. I'm lazy, I know... Forgive me? :(

CW

What does MS have to do with lower hardware costs? :(

TVs have come WAY down in price; 6 years ago, I bought a crappy 32" TV that doesn't even have s-video inputs and paid about $850 for it.  Today, I can buy a 32" TV with s-video AND component inputs for $350:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ronics&n=507846

Cheap DVD players cost $20 nowadays, compared to $150 several years ago.

Harddrives used to cost a fortune, now they can be had for less than 50 cents a gig.

I'll admit that they're software is getting (somewhat) better; but then again, they really had nowhere to go but up, and a lot of their "innovation" has come from simply buying out other companies (BrightMail, anyone?)

Microsoft (nor any other software vendor) hasn't had much of anything to do with these falling prices; it's just more and more people are buying PCs, so the economy of scales kicks in.

CW

226656[/snapback]

And why are people buying PCs? Because they're easier to use. That's not solely a feature of hardware because most people only plug their computer in once.

I'm not talking about bottom of the line crap. I'm talking middle-up. I bought a pretty bitchin' 35" about 8 years ago for $1200. Today's equivalent is probably the Sony 36" - which is over $2000.

I didn't say Microsoft was an innovative company - they certainly aren't. But Gates and company have used shrewd practice and innovative marketing to make the PC available to everyone and regardless of what people think, they work VERY closely with hardware manufacturers to ensure those prices remain low. Every major PC manufacturer has significant representation on the Microsoft campus, and vice-versa.

Oh dear!  And in this thread to boot:

BTW, I'm using Firefox.

226679[/snapback]

Exactly!

It would be like Ford coming out and saying that their cars work best on Ford gas!

How many people would fall for that one?

I take it that a lot more people fall for Microsoft's tactic?

??

Exactly!

It would be like Ford coming out and saying that their cars work best on Ford gas!

How many people would fall for that one?

I take it that a lot more people fall for Microsoft's tactic?

??

226718[/snapback]

The problem is that, in many cases, it's true that sites do look better or have more features in IE. That's because they don't follow the standards and invent their own stuff. And then the developers code to the MS-specific things. :(

CW

And why are people buying PCs?  Because they're easier to use.  That's not solely a feature of hardware because most people only plug their computer in once.

The innovation to make PC's easier to use came from Apple's Macintosh computer back in the early 80's. Gates tricked Steven Jobs into giving him the source code for the "Windows" concept, and developed his own OS using it. Since that was Apple's shtick and because Korea was churning out cheap IBM PC clones, Windows took off and Apple took a nosedive when people realized it was cheaper to get a clone and the software than a name brand like Apple.

I'm not talking about bottom of the line crap.  I'm talking middle-up.  I bought a pretty bitchin' 35" about 8 years ago for $1200.  Today's equivalent is probably the Sony 36" - which is over $2000.

A TV today having an "equivalent" form 8 years ago is like saying the wheel is "equivalent" to a Mercedes. Hell if you look at that 36" Sony and compare it to its price when it first came out, it's probably $3000 cheaper now.