[SUW] MP3 Player of Choice at Microsoft

Moose

The problem with Active Directory and Macs is on the AD side.  We never had a problem integrating Macs into NDS, which is light years ahead of that P.O.S. Microsoft calls a Directory Service.

The world can only hope that Novell remains a viable company, so Microsoft has something to shoot for.

227283[/snapback]

But what do you know? You like Sharepoint, for cryin' out loud...

Oops, sorry, I forgot...I can't contribute to this thread, because I know nothing about computers...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But what do you know?  You like Sharepoint, for cryin' out loud...

Oops, sorry, I forgot...I can't contribute to this thread, because I know nothing about computers...

227303[/snapback]

We're migrating stuff (like documentation) over to Sharepoint. It's a peice of crap. :doh:

CW

But what do you know?  You like Sharepoint, for cryin' out loud...

227303[/snapback]

Like I said, we've had good luck with it (knock on wood). Still, I wish we'd stayed on our E-Server platform with our NDS. Friggin' non-IT types driving the bus. Idiots.

We're migrating stuff (like documentation) over to Sharepoint.  It's a peice of crap. :D

CW

227305[/snapback]

It's not even a real product; some engineers were goofing around at Microsoft, came up with it as a neat little toy, and marketing saw it and said "Hey, we can sell that!" Thus, the first version went out the door...with a wide-open convoluted architecture and no documentation insuring you couldn't use it. Then, as a result of the complaints, they tightened up all the holes, taking most of the control away from developers...and provided no documentation insuring you couldn't use it.

I figure two more tries, and they'll get it right. On the plus side, though, I'd have to say that it's the best tool I've seen for what it does...whatever that is. :doh:

Like I said, we've had good luck with it (knock on wood).  Still, I wish we'd stayed on our E-Server platform with our NDS.  Friggin' non-IT types driving the bus.  Idiots.

227314[/snapback]

Would I rather have NDS?

Well, I don't know since the last version of it I worked on was 4.11.

That's assuming you can boot to the mac..

227292[/snapback]

??????? The only time it wouldn't boot is if there's something wrong with the power supply or the CD drive. Otherwise, the Hardware Test CD will tell you what the problem is, be it the logic board, the RAM, the video card, etc. Do your tech people even know how to boot a Mac with a CD?

We've only recently gone to OSX and they use neither of the utilities you're talking about. Their procedure is one of installing additional memory, using carbon copy cloner to copy the base OSX configuration, then manually binding each machine to the network and customizing the apps as appropriate. The whole process takes 30 minutes or more PER each machine. In that same time frame, I could have FOUR PCs imaged and up and running.

227292[/snapback]

Sounds like your tech people aren't very Mac savvy. All they have to do is set up one computer with all the apps installed and configured (provided you have the proper licenses for the number of computers you have) and then create a disk image of it and put that image on your server to netboot/image the rest. I always put a copy on a FireWire drive, too, as an additional option.

IMO, Mac users know FAR more about their computers and accomplish a great deal more than their PC counterparts. Also, I firmly believe that PC tech people are biased against Macs because they like the job security of always having to fix flakey PCs.

Joe, let's face it: we're not going to ever agree on this. "PC people" are quite content to muddle along with their virus and security-hole-ridden computers... so knock yourself out.

Joe, let's face it: we're not going to ever agree on this. "PC people" are quite content to muddle along with their virus and security-hole-ridden computers... so knock yourself out.

227341[/snapback]

Well you got ONE part of that right anyway.

I guess someone has to champion the cause of an open hardware platform, it may as well be me :doh:

By the way, if they offered MacOS on an open hardware standard, I believe they'd do well vs. Microshaft. But the leadership at Apple is simply too greedy or stupid to do so.