AW comments about play calling on 4th down

YoloinOhio

Marrone will be our coach after 2015 if we improve our record from the 2014 season.

You know what I really hated about our gameplan in KC? That one passing play that we ran to Bryce Brown 4 times for about 60 total yards.

Quick, name our best playmaker on the field vs KC. How do you propose getting him the ball without calling passing plays? Call 20 end arounds?

You must have missed all those games where fans were positively gleeful about how often we were running the ball this year.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone will be our coach after 2015 if we improve our record from the 2014 season.

You know what I really hated about our gameplan in KC? That one passing play that we ran to Bryce Brown 4 times for about 60 total yards.

Good play. No question. Not sure what that means though. We lost. We threw it 44 other times vs the #1 pass d.....and ran it 20

Who is the better playmaker, Sammy or Boobie Dixon? Who did everyone scream about getting the ball to more?

Sure get sammy the ball more. We threw at him 10 times, completed 4. We threw the ball 38 times to players other than sammy....and ran it 20.....vs the number 1 pass d.....that has a mediocre run d. Bobbie, Bryce and a hobbled Fred ran 19 times for 107. Avg of 5.65 a carry. And we threw it 48 times, while handing it off 20. My problem is his offensive game planning and his gutless nature.

Sure get sammy the ball more. We threw at him 10 times, completed 4. We threw the ball 38 times to players other than sammy....and ran it 20.....vs the number 1 pass d.....that has a mediocre run d. Bobbie, Bryce and a hobbled Fred ran 19 times for 107. Avg of 5.65 a carry. And we threw it 48 times, while handing it off 20. My problem is his offensive game planning and his gutless nature.

Does their ranking against the pass matter if guys got open on the passing plays, and plays were there to be made?

The reason they won't answer the question: it was coaching/scheme/playcalling that had those receivers running wide open...against the pass defense they continually tout as league-best.

I've asked you countless questions. You haven't responded to one. I've answered your question countless times.. I can't remember FIVE SPECIFIC bad play calls. It's a gameplan problem. Guys were open. Sweet. Our QB sucks. Our RBs were gashing the run d. We didn't run enough. We lost the game. Maybe if we went for it on fourth down vs Miami, we win. But we don't. He has no balls. Have fun defending Skeletor version 2. Ill stick by my thoughts that we'll be looking for a new coach after this season or next. Meaning we re wasting our time.

I've asked you countless questions. You haven't responded to one. I've answered your question countless times.. I can't remember FIVE SPECIFIC bad play calls. It's a gameplan problem. Guys were open. Sweet. Our QB sucks. Our RBs were gashing the run d. We didn't run enough. We lost the game. Maybe if we went for it on fourth down vs Miami, we win. But we don't. He has no balls. Have fun defending Skeletor version 2. Ill stick by my thoughts that we'll be looking for a new coach after this season or next. Meaning we re wasting our time.

You say we would have won if we had run it more. You're speculating this based on what they did previously. I'm telling you we would have scored a touch down if Orton hit open receivers. I know this because I saw it with my own two eyes.

Understand the difference?

One (your argument) assumes you know a better game plan exists. Not that one might exist. That definitively, they could have done more. And you're basing this on something that did not happen.

The other (my argument) the game plan (read: coaching/play calling, or whatever it is people are bitching about) was good enough to win. I know this because a.) Bryce Brown had nobody between him and the endzone then fumbled and b.) On half of Orton's four throws into the endzone to end the game, receivers were wide open and he missed them.

These are indisputable facts. And they both point to coaching decisions and play designs that were GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE GAME but failed because of player execution.

I have not changed by argument.

Edited by The Big Cat

It's about time coaches faced criticism

for making timid, chicken•••t decisions under the guise of "playing the percentages" or "not taking the game away from the players" (the most absurd rationale I have ever heard for playing not to lose). The tide may be turning, and we can hope it takes Marrone away with it.

Agreed!!

It's about time coaches faced criticism

for making timid, chicken•••t decisions under the guise of "playing the percentages" or "not taking the game away from the players" (the most absurd rationale I have ever heard for playing not to lose). The tide may be turning, and we can hope it takes Marrone away with it.

Agreed

You say we would have won if we had run it more. You're speculating this based on what they did previously. I'm telling you we would have scored a touch down if Orton hit open receivers. I know this because I saw it with my own two eyes.

Understand the difference?

One (your argument) assumes you know a better game plan exists. Not that one might exist. That definitively, they could have done more. And you're basing this on something that did not happen.

The other (my argument) the game plan (read: coaching/play calling, or whatever it is people are bitching about) was good enough to win. I know this because a.) Bryce Brown had nobody between him and the endzone then fumbled and b.) On half of Orton's four throws into the endzone to end the game, receivers were wide open and he missed them.

These are indisputable facts. And they both point to coaching decisions and play designs that were GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN THE GAME but failed because of player execution.

I have not changed by argument.

I'm not saying we would've won. I'm saying that we lost. We lost when we decided to pass 48 times vs the best pass d in the league. I never said we "would have won if we ran more". Or did I? Can you point out where I said that? I understand your point regarding open recievers. There are open WRs on many passing plays. The fact that you have to have a QB to get it there weighs into the decision to call them. The indisputable fact remains that we lost the game. We lost vs Miami. In both games, Marrone was faced with monumental 4th down decisions. Each time, it backfired. And we lost. After a bye. At home. Sure Bryce brown fumbled. We could have won. We didn't. We lost. Coulda shoulda woulda. If cj spiller and Fred were 100% we might have won. If kiko was healthy we coulda win. If kyle orton was Aaron Rodgers we coulda won. We didn't.

I understand your point. And I agree with some of it. I don't think the play calls at the end of the game vs the chiefs were the incorrect calls. I liked that we passed in those instances. The rest of the game, not so much. We haven't scored a TD in 7 quarters. Our red zone offense is a joke.

Marrone has no balls. No guts. Our players are calling him out. The head coach being called out for being gutless......by players. If you don't think there's a problem there, I'm not sure what else to say. I stand by my argument that we can't have a spineless coach with the inability to grow a sack when it's needed. It IS needed. Two losses in a row vs wild card contenders when we were 5-3 and haven't made the playoffs since last century. I can't sit here and be content with a head coach that can't take a chance. No one is going to take us by the hand and walk us to the playoffs. We need a coach that will LEAD us there. I just don't feel Marrone is that guy now, nor ever will be. I don't wanna waste another year, waiting for the inevitable following next season. His departure. You can stay content

I'm not saying we would've won. I'm saying that we lost. We lost when we decided to pass 48 times vs the best pass d in the league. I never said we "would have won if we ran more". Or did I? Can you point out where I said that? I understand your point regarding open recievers. There are open WRs on many passing plays. The fact that you have to have a QB to get it there weighs into the decision to call them. The indisputable fact remains that we lost the game. We lost vs Miami. In both games, Marrone was faced with monumental 4th down decisions. Each time, it backfired. And we lost. After a bye. At home. Sure Bryce brown fumbled. We could have won. We didn't. We lost. Coulda shoulda woulda. If cj spiller and Fred were 100% we might have won. If kiko was healthy we coulda win. If kyle orton was Aaron Rodgers we coulda won. We didn't.

I understand your point. And I agree with some of it. I don't think the play calls at the end of the game vs the chiefs were the incorrect calls. I liked that we passed in those instances. The rest of the game, not so much. We haven't scored a TD in 7 quarters. Our red zone offense is a joke.

Marrone has no balls. No guts. Our players are calling him out. The head coach being called out for being gutless......by players. If you don't think there's a problem there, I'm not sure what else to say. I stand by my argument that we can't have a spineless coach with the inability to grow a sack when it's needed. It IS needed. Two losses in a row vs wild card contenders when we were 5-3 and haven't made the playoffs since last century. I can't sit here and be content with a head coach that can't take a chance. No one is going to take us by the hand and walk us to the playoffs. We need a coach that will LEAD us there. I just don't feel Marrone is that guy now, nor ever will be. I don't wanna waste another year, waiting for the inevitable following next season. His departure. You can stay content

Which 4th down decision against KC are you referring to? The attempt at the endzone when we could have taken the points??