At their peek....who was better?

OnTheRocks

Who is/was the better WR?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is/was the better WR?

• Andre Reed
    • Eric Moulds

It depends on your definition of "better".

Is Moulds a better athlete? Yes

225173[/snapback]

Nobody was as muscled and sculpted as Reed. He was the original strengthened WR.

Remember Reed's role in the "comeback" game.........the last 3 TD's

I can say this much: unless my memory is messed up, I certainly don't remember Andre missing a pass, and turning to the ref and calling for a flag while the ball is still in the air.

225317[/snapback]

I do remember Reed throwing his helmet to the ground at the goal line in a playoff game vs Miami drawing a 15 yd pentalty, thus preventing a td.

Nobody was as muscled and sculpted as Reed.  He was the original strengthened WR.

Remember Reed's role in the "comeback" game.........the last 3 TD's

225395[/snapback]

True, but cut doesn't necessarily equate to atheleticism.

Moulds is faster, stronger, more agile, better verticle and just as (if not more)chisled than Reed was.

But, I think Reed was hungrier, better hands and had more competitivness than Moulds.

I do remember Reed throwing his helmet to the ground at the goal line in a playoff game vs Miami drawing a 15 yd pentalty, thus preventing a td.

225401[/snapback]

He threw the helmet in the Superbowl against the Redskins. I think he accidentally (or not, who knows) bumped the ref on the goal line to draw the 15 yard penalty.

And that didn't prevent a TD if I recall; it was marked short (because, had the player scored, bumping the official would've been a post-play foul and thus marked on the kickoff). Flutie was sacked by Trace Armstrong and fumbled on one of the next plays, thus ending the game.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

CW

There's no question Moulds is a better athlete, but like I said earlier, it depends what your definition of "better" is.

225381[/snapback]

Moulds may have been a better athlete, but (as others have noticed), Reed was absolutely ripped. One of the strongest WRs in the game. He was also sneaky fast once he had the football. How many of you remember that 86-yard TD he had against the Dolphins in Joe Robbie when the Fins threw the kitchen sink at Kelly? He did that against KC too if I recall. Dude just managed to get open, and once he did, he didn't drop the damn ball. Oh and by the way, to the guy who mentioned Reed throwing his helmet in that Miami game, don't forget: Moulds caught a long pass in that game and fumbled it away. If he'd held on, we might have routed Miami as that drop was a huge momentum-changer. I know Moulds had 240 yards in that game, but about 50 of them amounted to a long punt because he fumbled.

He threw the helmet in the Superbowl against the Redskins.  I think he accidentally (or not, who knows) bumped the ref on the goal line to draw the 15 yard penalty.

And that didn't prevent a TD if I recall; it was marked short (because, had the player scored, bumping the official would've been a post-play foul and thus marked on the kickoff).  Flutie was sacked by Trace Armstrong and fumbled on one of the next plays, thus ending the game.

CW

225410[/snapback]

You're absolutely correct. Also, given where the referee was standing (right on top of Reed, vulture-like, almost daring him), there was almost no way Reed could have stood up without bumping him. Plus, Reed scored on that play. It was an even more egregious miss than the Travis play in Oakland.

Moulds may have been a better athlete, but (as others have noticed), Reed was absolutely ripped.  One of the strongest WRs in the game. 

225419[/snapback]

You're right. I got a chance to be upclose and personal with Reed (in Jim Kelly Camp, so much fun) and know first hand how big he is. But I always thought Moulds was bigger and more ripped.

But, I've never really been close to Moulds, so I don't really know for sure. I just know what I see in camp each year. Am I wrong? Isn't Moulds just as jacked, if not more so?

It depends on your definition of "better".

Is Moulds a better athlete? Yes

Is Moulds a better team player? Yes

Does Moulds have better hands? No

Does Moulds command more respect from Defenses? Tie

Is Moulds tougher? No

Too close to call really, but I voted for Moulds simply because he has put up probowl numbers year in and year out without a great QB tossing him the ball and without a consistent No 2 receiver by his side.

Reed had Kelly, Lofton, and Thomas. Who has Moulds had?

225173[/snapback]

Moulds had just 1000 yards this year, not exactly Pro Bowl level. Considering he had Evans and McGahee to take pressure off him, and considering he was the 7th most thrown to WR in the league, you'd expect more from him than that.

My vote was for Reed, because good hands are as important for a WR as they are in bed.

He threw the helmet in the Superbowl against the Redskins.  I think he accidentally (or not, who knows) bumped the ref on the goal line to draw the 15 yard penalty.

And that didn't prevent a TD if I recall; it was marked short (because, had the player scored, bumping the official would've been a post-play foul and thus marked on the kickoff).  Flutie was sacked by Trace Armstrong and fumbled on one of the next plays, thus ending the game.

CW

225410[/snapback]

When Andre "bumped" the ref, the Bills had to go for the field goal. They recovered the onside kick and Flutie was sacked on the subsequent series.

This occured the same season as the "just give it to them" non-reception + end zone Hail Mary pass interference game against the Bills in New England. If I ever felt there was an x-files type conspiracy against the Bills, that was the year. :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: zebras

BTW, my vote goes to Andre. Eric has never been ever to go over the middle like Andre did - he was fearless.

When Andre "bumped" the ref, the Bills had to go for the field goal. They recovered the onside kick and Flutie was sacked on the subsequent series.

This occured the same season as the "just give it to them" non-reception + end zone Hail Mary pass interference game against the Bills in New England. If I ever felt there was an x-files type conspiracy against the Bills, that was the year.  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: zebras

BTW, my vote goes to Andre. Eric has never been ever to go over the middle like Andre did - he was fearless.

227222[/snapback]

i do think moulds 1998 season - when he and flutie really worked well together and flutie did a great job of getting the ball to him - was a better season than reed ever had. not a ton of receptions for moulds (67) but lots of yards, a ton of big plays, and lots of tds. plus 240 yards v. miami in the playoffs ....