Anyone here live in Montana?

Hardy Pyle

cool....are you driving or flying?

If you need any info about Calgary, let me know. It's a great place and I can give you lots of tips on places to go, nightlife, mountains, touristy things, etc.

How long are you staying?

My uncle is a customs person so I'm checking with him, and I'm crunching some numbers on costs, etc, for shipping, etc.

What I'm looking at bringing over are 4 alloy rims with tires and an OEM spoiler.

So, they will take up alot of space.

But, if it all works out, maybe I can help defray some of your travel costs or some other mutually beneficial arrangement.

If you don't mind me asking, is it alot cheaper in Canada for laser eye surgery? I guess the strong Canadian dollar isn't working to your favor right now. But I think I've seen eye surger advertised at $495 an eye.

cool....are you driving or flying?

If you need any info about Calgary, let me know. It's a great place and I can give you lots of tips on places to go, nightlife, mountains, touristy things, etc.

How long are you staying?

My uncle is a customs person so I'm checking with him, and I'm crunching some numbers on costs, etc, for shipping, etc.

What I'm looking at bringing over are 4 alloy rims with tires and an OEM spoiler.

So, they will take up alot of space.

But, if it all works out, maybe I can help defray some of your travel costs or some other mutually beneficial arrangement.

If you don't mind me asking, is it alot cheaper in Canada for laser eye surgery? I guess the strong Canadian dollar isn't working to your favor right now. But I think I've seen eye surger advertised at $495 an eye.

225114[/snapback]

We are driving. Coming up (as of now) April 17th, and returning mid-day the 20th. I was going to drive my Neon, but could bring my pick-up if cost effective.

We would probably see the sites depending on how the wife feels.

As far as the eye deal, it will cost about 1,800 US in Canada and about $3,000 US in the states.

We are heading to Glacier Nat'l Park in June for a family vacation, then heading to Idaho for a rafting trip. Can't wait to get out there...

Any tips on Glacier? Must see, etc. We are staying in St. Mary for a couple of days. Coming in an out of Missoula. (We have friends in Missoula)

We are heading to Glacier Nat'l Park in June for a family vacation, then heading to Idaho for a rafting trip.  Can't wait to get out there...

Any tips on Glacier?  Must see, etc.  We are staying in St. Mary for a couple of days.  Coming in an out of Missoula.  (We have friends in Missoula)

225387[/snapback]

I hear it's great. Watch out for the bears. They have a couple of attacks evey year. The Bear pepper spray really does work.

I am embarrassed to say that I have lived in Montana 10 years and have not been to Glacier yet. I've been to Yellowstone Park many times but not Glacier.

I hear it's great. Watch out for the bears. They have a couple of attacks evey year. The Bear pepper spray really does work.

I am embarrassed to say that I have lived in Montana 10 years and have not been to Glacier yet. I've been to Yellowstone Park many times but not Glacier.

225408[/snapback]

I go to Glacier every August as I visit a good friend up there. We fly-fish and drink many cervezas! Glacier is a cool place to see but I only see it in the Summer.

My bud is in Kalispell and Bledsoe's place is in Whitefish, about 25 miles away. Very cool place I must say. Excellent golfing in the area as well as Flathead Lake.

Late

We are heading to Glacier Nat'l Park in June for a family vacation, then heading to Idaho for a rafting trip.  Can't wait to get out there...

Any tips on Glacier?  Must see, etc.  We are staying in St. Mary for a couple of days.  Coming in an out of Missoula.  (We have friends in Missoula)

225387[/snapback]

When we camped out in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons we were told grizzlies can smell food over two miles away. At the campgrounds they have bear proof dumpsters for garbage. They tell you to put food, dish detergent etc. in your vehicle. Never, but NEVER, eat, or store anythiong related to eating or cooking in a tent, trailor, or camper.

Now, if you are rafting or backpacking so that you will be sleeping overnight in an area where bear proof dumpsters aren't available and you can't store food in your car, you have to plan on having plenty of rope to tie containers of food, garbage etc. from a tree, well away from where you sleep. Toss one end of the rope over a tree branch that allows you to hoist your stuff a good 12 feet off the ground in grizzlie country, and well away from the tree trunk.

225387[/snapback]

I've been to 8 parks in the last 3 years and Glacier is by far my favorite. If you aren't up for camping but want to rough it a bit, try the Granite Park Chalet. You have to hike to it. No runnig water, you need to bring your own food. No electricity in the rooms but main area is lit by gas. They also have a stove and they pump water for stuff like cooking. for an extra $10 they will give you bedding. The people I met thier were extreamly nice. It was amazing. The view was out of this world. if you want i can forward some photos.

I saw a bear and her baby hiking toward Grinnell Lake. They were standing on a little bidge I needed to cross, so I never quite made it. I fled even thoug I was pretty far away. Bring a camera with a good zoom. In my photo they came out like specs of dust.

Hopefully I'll head out again this summer-last week in June or first in July.

Make sure you hike out to hidden lake, and Iceberg lake, and swift current pass.

I always use Falcon Guides when trying to fiugre out what hikes to take.

the travel chnl. always runs a nice program on it a few times a year.

I hope to make out there again this year.

Have fun!

When we camped out in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons we were told grizzlies can smell food over two miles away.  At the campgrounds they have bear proof dumpsters for garbage.  They tell you to put food, dish detergent etc. in your vehicle.  Never, but NEVER, eat, or store anythiong related to eating or cooking in a tent, trailor, or camper.

Now, if you are rafting or backpacking so that you will be sleeping overnight in an area where bear proof dumpsters aren't available and you can't store food in your car, you have to plan on having plenty of rope to tie containers of food, garbage etc. from a tree, well away from where you sleep.  Toss one end of the rope over a tree branch that allows you to hoist your stuff a good 12 feet off the ground in grizzlie country, and well away from the tree trunk.

225749[/snapback]

I heard grizzlys are a whole 'nother beast? I think I nice firearm/weapon is usually the norm as a security measure? I read somewhere where somebody had to beat one off with a hatchet. I think a weapon would be more apt?

The "bear bag" idea is a must. Unless you don't like your truck or car, I wouldn't put food in it. Once in the ADK, we witnessed what happened when food was left inside a pickup. The bear went to town with it's claws on the cab of the vehicle. It didn't get the food but, the paint job looked like hell.

Only black bears there but, they are pretty smart. One time near Mt. Marcy, the rangers told us to be extra diligent hanging the bag. Tie the knot extra high and have it extended to a few trees (seems they follow the line). We hung it and tied the knot while on somebody's shoulders. That night (while in a lean-to) we heard a noise and glanced our lights out into the woods. Sure enough, there was a bear attempting to claw at the tree and line. Thankfully, it was just high enough out of his reach. A few other hikers down stream weren't as lucky, when we heard them clanking their pots and pans the next morning.

In N. Mexico, we had one small brown come right under our dining fly and steal our Pop-Tarts and SwissMiss. :( He was kind enough to leave us dry granola and give a photo shoot 25 meters away in the scrub bush!

Good luck!

:(:D