Are we playing ourselves?!?

Interesting comparison. It seems as though you use comparative terms when somebody with an inclination to look up statistics could poke holes in your generalizations.

If you use statistics to answers some questions, such as: What are the rushing yards given up by the defense? What is the percentage of passes completed against the secondary? What is the TD to INT ratio of the QB? etc., etc., etc. You will likely find that the Bills weaknesses are not as weak as the Jets weaknesses, and the Bills strengths are stronger than the Jets strengths. I don't have the patience to look up such statistics and rankings, but if somebody had that much time and interest, I bet the statistics would help to explain why the Bills are 4-3 and the Jets are 1-6.

I do wonder, however if the reason geno is still playing and EJ is benched is his ability to throw downfield (albeit with a ridiculous amount of turnovers). Is it possible that this is what people are talking about when they say the qb is going through his growing pains (picks, bad reads, mistakes) but is flashing signs of potential (great throws, moving the ball with his arm).

I think the reason Geno is still playing is that despite kicking the tires on Garrard, Vick etc - the Jets don't have anyone better right now to replace him.

I think the reason EJ is benched is that with Orton, the Bills do have someone who is better right now to replace him.

Despite what some here think, EJ has shown flashes of potential. He was also going to become incurably gun-shy if left to play behind that shambles of an OL

Yeah, I'm inclined to think Geno's ceiling is higher than EJ's.

The bigger reason, though, is that the Bills planned their backup QB situation a lot better than the Jets. Pundits laughed when the Bills brought in Orton for $5 million, but the Jets have the decaying corpse of Michael Vick for the same amount. In his one appearance this year, Vick netted 47 yards on 19 attempts and 2 interceptions.

To give Vick the benefit it was off the bench, but, he is a veteran and professional and should do better. But, I do agree with you, I would totally prefer to have Orton over Vick.

Interesting comparison. It seems as though you use comparative terms when somebody with an inclination to look up statistics could poke holes in your generalizations.

If you use statistics to answers some questions, such as: What are the rushing yards given up by the defense? What is the percentage of passes completed against the secondary? What is the TD to INT ratio of the QB? etc., etc., etc. You will likely find that the Bills weaknesses are not as weak as the Jets weaknesses, and the Bills strengths are stronger than the Jets strengths. I don't have the patience to look up such statistics and rankings, but if somebody had that much time and interest, I bet the statistics would help to explain why the Bills are 4-3 and the Jets are 1-6.

Ur being too gentle with your assertion. My argument would COMPLETELY fall apart if you applied hard stats to it. As I said later in the thread in reference to the qb comparison (#5 I believe), the bad of one team's component (be it qb, guards, secondary, etc.), may be much worse than the bad of the other teams corresponding component. It's just that the overall characteristic of the components are similar. (We're talking qualitatively, not quantitatively, and I am talking about the view from 10,000 feet, not the nitty gritty details. As such, I am using comparative terms on purpose. i know they are not the same team. They have different levels of bad, different levels of good for any given component of the team. Even if they were the same team you could never compare them given the different schedules they have played.

Anyways, I just thought that it was interesting that in a lot of ways, these two teams have many similarities.

Well I have said from the beginning that the Jets seem like they were building their team to be like ours. Why? I have no idea because we have not won jack sh_t but they have.

We wanted a mobile quarterback and drafted EJ Manuel First then they got one in Geno Smith.

We had a fast running back in CJ spiller, then they went out got Chris Johnson,

We got a Sammy "Do IT ALL" Watkins, then they went and got Percy "Knock My Teammate Out" Harvin.

They even been picking up our scrapes at Receiver (Ex. David Nelson, TJ Graham.)

So yes in many ways they Jets are Built the same way the Bills are right now.

I don't really think they're really trying to do the same thing as the Bills, they just recognize the fact that if you want to beat Brady you have to pressure him so we both have tried to put a solid front 7 together. Why we put one together and failed to blitz Brady, then watched him sit back there and shred our secondary for the entire second half is on the coaching staff. As far as mobile Qbs go that seems to be where the league is going regardless of the fact the best QBs in the league are pocket passers. The Bills have one now they need to protect him, I have a lot of respect for Orton with sh#%t for an O-line he stands in there with his eyes down the field trying to make a play.

We have a great D. We have played highly talented passing offenses. San Diego, new england, Detroit and then even Miami and Minnesota to some degree

Edit. And Vick has been garbage since he came back in the league and wasn't much better before that. As a QB I'd rather have Tebow, hands down.

Anyone who likes Vick or wanted him to come here needs to come out and eat their crow.

Is that kind of like playing with themselves? I think the OP has that covered.