My two cents on the game....

BmarvB

1) Penalties, penalties, and more penalties - Throughout the years, they still continue to shoot themselves up the behind with costly drive killing (or sustaining) penalties that wipe out big plays on both sides of the ball. You can't win games like that!

2) EJ is still a work in progress. He's going to have games where he'll look like a franchise QB, games where he's just average, and games where he's going to look like he belongs on the end of the bench. As it stands right now, he's going to be holding the offense back with his maddening inaccuracy but let's not give up on him yet. Hopefully he learned a few things from watching Phillip Rivers work. He also owes Marquise Goodwin dinner and more for that asinine pass that got him flattened.

3) Corey Graham is clearly the Bills #1 corner right now.

4) Defense is more than good enough the keep the Bills in most games, offense is going to cost them several games just like this one. They won't win many shootouts this year.

5) Deep passing game needs A LOT of work.

6) I like our new punter.

Edited by BmarvB

EJ and Hackett hold the offense back.

For as good as Watkins appears to be I'm still pissed they traded their first round pick next year for him because I don't think Manuel is going to develop into anything more then a game manager at QB.

Just don't understand when people say this. 1st round QB's fail at an alarmingly high rate. Finding a franchise QB isn't as easy as simply having a 1st round pick. Super Bowl winning QB's since 2000: 2000: Kurt Warner - UFA 2001: Trent Dilfer - rd 1 2002: Tom Brady rd 6 2003: Brad Johnson - rd 9 2004; Tom Brady - rd 6 2005: Tom Brady - rd 6 2006: Big Ben - rd 1 2007: Peyton Manning - rd 1 2008: Eli Manning - rd 1 2009: Big Ben - rd 1 2010: Drew Brees - rd 2 2011: Aaron Rodgers - rd 1 2012: Eli Manning - rd 1 2013: Joe Flacco - rd 1 2014: Russell Wilson - rd 3

Several of the Round 1 QB picks weren't even playing for the team that drafted them. It's not a sure thing. We selected one of the most dynamic players in the last 10 years. Quite possibly our Megatron. Even with bruised ribs Sammy showed how insanely good he is last week.

There are other avenues to getting a franchise guy. I actually liked Cousins and would have liked to see us trade for him and have him compete with EJ. I like the Orton signing. But seriously, there's no guy that's going to be a sure thing next year. And most of those round 1 Super Bowl winning QB's were taken with the first couple picks. Our roster is way too talented to get higher than the 5th pick even if we implode.

I hope we continue developing EJ and also look for other team's young backups like Cousins and others who show promise. And I'm sure Whaley and his staff will do that.

i agree with all of your points and would that although it was a bad game, big picture we're still 2-1. gilmore looked especially bad today, not sure what's going on with him.

also loved when mario slammed donald brown into the turf. would've been even better if they didn't score that drive...d'oh

Totally agree. Look at how much the franchise QB's change too. Last summer everyone was talking how this past years draft class was going to be great for QB's . By the time the college season ended, not so good.

In addition, unless EJ looks completely, kind of like a couple of preseason games bad, you likely won't give up on a #1 draft pick after two seasons. If EJ sucks this season, they will can Hackett, blame it on him bring in a new OC who will play better to EJ's strengths, at least on paper. They may bring Orton back or someone else of similar experience and have a competition in camp. As bad as EJ could look, just as they didn't want a competition last year the same thing would happen if they did have a #1 pick that they'd use on a QB. Likely with two years under his belt even bad years, he's still beat out the rookie.

Just don't understand when people say this. 1st round QB's fail at an alarmingly high rate. Finding a franchise QB isn't as easy as simply having a 1st round pick. Super Bowl winning QB's since 2000: 2000: Kurt Warner - UFA 2001: Trent Dilfer - rd 1 2002: Tom Brady rd 6 2003: Brad Johnson - rd 9 2004; Tom Brady - rd 6 2005: Tom Brady - rd 6 2006: Big Ben - rd 1 2007: Peyton Manning - rd 1 2008: Eli Manning - rd 1 2009: Big Ben - rd 1 2010: Drew Brees - rd 2 2011: Aaron Rodgers - rd 1 2012: Eli Manning - rd 1 2013: Joe Flacco - rd 1 2014: Russell Wilson - rd 3

Several of the Round 1 QB picks weren't even playing for the team that drafted them. It's not a sure thing. We selected one of the most dynamic players in the last 10 years. Quite possibly our Megatron. Even with bruised ribs Sammy showed how insanely good he is last week.

There are other avenues to getting a franchise guy. I actually liked Cousins and would have liked to see us trade for him and have him compete with EJ. I like the Orton signing. But seriously, there's no guy that's going to be a sure thing next year. And most of those round 1 Super Bowl winning QB's were taken with the first couple picks. Our roster is way too talented to get higher than the 5th pick even if we implode.

I hope we continue developing EJ and also look for other team's young backups like Cousins and others who show promise. And I'm sure Whaley and his staff will do that.

EJ and Hackett hold the offense back.

For as good as Watkins appears to be I'm still pissed they traded their first round pick next year for him because I don't think Manuel is going to develop into anything more then a game manager at QB.

That's why you need game breakers outside even more- let manual make safe throws and them turn it into big plays, since we don't have a qb that will consistently create plays