Time to ditch the the Read Option

TheBackupQB

run, run, pass.

I'm not even talking that. It's just unbelievably predictable based on formation and where the play is going. There's no creativity no huge misdirection calls. His play action plays don't have receivers really stretching the field. It's like JV football

I think the Read option is only useful when the QB throws on roll outs or scrambles...EJ is basically just dropping back or handig the ball off

I think the Read option is only useful when the QB throws on roll outs ot scrambles...EJ is basically just dropping back or handig the ball off

Edited by TheBackupQB

Unless the quarterback keeps a few no one will respect it. He should have ran it and keep it on the 3 and 1 when spilled lost 2.

I completely agree but.....Remember last year? I bet you do. We might have to merge this with the Orton for QB thread if he runs too much.

Why don't the Bills use Spiller like the Eagles use Sproles?

There are many plays where McCoy and Sproles are playing at the SAME TIME and there are tremendous play fakes and options out of that. The passes to Sproles are easy quick strike and meant to just get the guy in space and let him rip. There was a play last week where they faked handoff to McCoy and Foles threw it 3 yards away to Sproles who was just off the line, the TE made the lead block and they got an easy 20-30 yards.

EJ Manuel really needs to step up his game, but there WILL be growing pains with this particular QB. There's no getting around it. Time will tell on his chances to be a real franchise QB. However, I'm almost 100% sure that what we saw today was growing pains and not a sign that he's just another in a long line of failures at QB for the Bills.

That being said, I think this team has a serious identity crisis on offense. They think they are smash mouth, but they are built to follow the Eagles' offensive blueprint. That means handoffs out of shotgun, but with passing plays meant to be quick strikes to your skill players like Spiller and Watkins. They need to use reverses and fake reverses and run the ball up the middle with Jackson, Dixon and Brown. Manuel also needs to have his number called on running plays 2-4 times a game. Also, someone has to tell Spiller to watch tape of Sproles and let him know that you must run like your pants are on fire and not go down at the slightest bit of contact.

The Texans will eat our current offense for lunch next week if they don't seriously change things up, become unpredictable, and put our players at an advantage with the play calling and schemes. It may have worked the first couple of weeks, but that's over. Hackett needs to start earning his paycheck this week because we all knew the plays that they were going to run.

I think the problem today was penalties and poor execution. Fred was the only offensive player that looked worth a damn. Watkins really disspointed me today. He looked scared at times, he could have made a couple of catches if he put forth more effort, EJ made a couple of key bad passes, CJ seemed to sniff out the pile and run towards it, the O Line looked horrendous- ALL OF THEM, Chandler was average as usual and I can keep going.

The only players out there that play like MEN on a consistent basis are Fred and Woods, the rest seem scared at times, I don't get it.

I'm not even talking that. It's just unbelievably predictable based on formation and where the play is going. There's no creativity no huge misdirection calls. His play action plays don't have receivers really stretching the field. It's like JV football

Did anyone watching the game, not know when an "inside handoff' was coming?! Particularly the one to Spiller in 3rd and 1.