Hackett looks like he has improved

Dragonborn10

Formations and plays look great. The guard play is still awful. Screen game looked a little better. EJ was hit and miss today. WR/TE holding penalties were killers.

I am surprised Watkins has not gotten a WR screen yet. Probably trying to protect his ribs.

Give the offense another four or five games to really gel. Try Hairston or Richardson at LG.

Hacketts play calling wasn't the greatest today however it falls mostly on EJ. EJ left wide open reads on the field all day. There were lots of plays to be made in the passing game in which EJ failed to read and/or execute properly.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm not seeing any improvement at all. He's still amazingly predictable especially early in the game when it's run run pass every series and usually immediately followed by a punt

Opposing defenses know this and end up sending the safeties to run blitz which would be perfect time for play action rollout but all we see is another run

After a rewatch in slo mo... I thought Hackett did a good job. Our O line and O line coach not so good.We were awful picking up blitz and stunts. Hackett did a good job going to the screen game to compensate. Guys were open.. For the most part EJ would have an unexplainable unforced error or he had a guy in his face altering the throw. Sure the 3rd and one run call was awful.. But there were 2 guys open on 4th and 3 and EJ wasn't able to stand tall take a hit and deliver.. Instead he threw off his back foot cause he didn't want to take the hit and the throw was in no msn 's land

Edited by Bocephuz

We're a run heavy team dude. That's the strength of our team.

Run heavy doesn't mean you have to be boring, bland, predictable, unimaginative, pick an adjective. His play calling is on a Pop Warner level.

Run run pass punt is the basic Hackett script. You could still be run heavy and keep teams off guard if you went pass run run or run pass run but NOPE. He's a big fan of the Steve Fairchild script apparently. Taking a page right out of the Mularkey era's book.

Hackett's play calling was terrible today. EJ was off target a few times and Watkins didn't seem to be giving it his all (looked like he was trying to not get hurt). The biggest problem of all was the play of both guards and Urbik for that matter. Richardson was inactive which I really didn't understand... Last week I would have said Hacketts play calling looked good, but not this week. Too many bunch formations and not enough spread formations.

There wasn't the signs of panic as in past years. Gailey would abandon the run if the team got behind even if it was early in the game. For this game the mix of run and pass was still about the same even though the Bills were behind. And it's not as if the run game was all that effective. They had a plan and they stuck to it. They didn't panic and start going pass whacky like Gailey used to do.

But low percentage, long, sideline passes to a double covered receiver on third and short? Twice! Why? I thought with Gailey gone that stupidity would also become a thing of the past.

They couldn't abandon the run game. because the passing game sucked. And receivers where in danger of getting decapitated out there. Loved EJ's slide a yard before the first down. real ballsy play.

Hackett is not the problem. The 3rd and 1 run was kinda predictable tho. Everyone at my house called it immediately.

Exactly. That play was completely predictable. If you and I saw it from our couches, don't you think the Chargers defense saw it coming? Perhaps that would explain why Pears is blown up 3 yds into the backfield and Spiller runs into a wall?

Unless you have superior HOF athletes, you can't just line up, tell the defense what's coming, and still beat them - certainly not with any consistency. That is what our coaching staff doesn't seem to understand.

Put another way... if you run across a crowded freeway and get hit by a bus, did you just not execute your street crossing properly? Or was it just a bad idea from the start?

Hackett's play calling was terrible today. EJ was off target a few times and Watkins didn't seem to be giving it his all (looked like he was trying to not get hurt). The biggest problem of all was the play of both guards and Urbik for that matter. Richardson was inactive which I really didn't understand... Last week I would have said Hacketts play calling looked good, but not this week. Too many bunch formations and not enough spread formations.

Not to sound snide, but I am not sure I have seen Hackett line up in a spread formation in 19 regular season games. He is in over his head