Senior Bowl - North's Practice

Astrobot

Saw the North practice today. TD was looking thoughtful on the sidelines, looking at his roster often. Here are some impressions:

QB's--Orlovsky looked the best, although some fumbled smaps from C David Baas. Orton was probably 2nd best, with better presence in the huddle, good checkdowns, and a good year behind him (31 TD, 5 INT).

WR's Clayton caught everything near him. He's short (5'10"), and was shown up by a couple of WR's: Courtenay Roby (Reggie Roby's son), who made a fantastic catch in traffic; and WR's Stubblefield and Vincent Jackson, who looks huge. One I hadn't heard of, Craig Bragg, made some good catches. He's from UCLA.

TE---Kiper said that Alex Smith hasn't distinguished himself this week. Stock may fall. Tuiasosopo missed lining up for a play and was yelled at.

RB---JJ Arrington from Cal had fast outside speed, like MacGahee. Has HUGE thighs, can pound it inside, too. Sproles caught lots out of the backfield, but was more slight in build than Arrington. Sproles supposedly had a 4.3 clocking recently, though.

DB---Jamaal Brimmer (6'1", 213) had the hit of the day on Driessen, who impressed me by hanging on.

Other names---Kiper liked Iowa's Considine in a LB or S role. In on lots of plays.

Saw the North practice today. TD was looking thoughtful on the sidelines, looking at his roster often. Here are some impressions:

QB's--Orlovsky looked the best, although some fumbled smaps from C David Baas. Orton was probably 2nd best, with better presence in the huddle, good checkdowns, and a good year behind him (31 TD, 5 INT).

WR's Clayton caught everything near him. He's short (5'10"), and was shown up by a couple of WR's: Courtenay Roby (Reggie Roby's son), who made a fantastic catch in traffic; and WR's Stubblefield and Vincent Jackson, who looks huge. One I hadn't heard of, Craig Bragg, made some good catches. He's from UCLA.

TE---Kiper said that Alex Smith hasn't distinguished himself this week. Stock may fall. Tuiasosopo missed lining up for a play and was yelled at.

RB---JJ Arrington from Cal had fast outside speed, like MacGahee. Has HUGE thighs, can pound it inside, too.  Sproles caught lots out of the backfield, but was more slight in build than Arrington. Sproles supposedly had a 4.3 clocking recently, though.

DB---Jamaal Brimmer (6'1", 213) had the hit of the day on Driessen, who impressed me by hanging on.

Other names---Kiper liked Iowa's Considine in a LB or S role. In on lots of plays.

220829[/snapback]

Appreciate the info. Is it a Saturday game?

If we can get Sproles in the 2nd day of the draft he will be a steal.

220942[/snapback]

I'm not sure about Sproles

"Darren Sproles was so short at 5-5 1/2 that they had to find new equipment to measure him."

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/...orts/12405.html

I think we're OK with Shaud Williams as the 3rd down back or chance of pace back, we should go after a bigger guy, like Cedric Houston from Tennesse

The problem with Sproles is that he's only 5'5. Its not totally fair to him, but at that height, he'll be very lucky to be drafted.

If there's a guy to keep an eye on during the game, its Matt Jones of Arkansas. He's one of those guys who was a college option QB but will have to play WR or TE in the pros. So, he's a project. Here's the thing: he's 6'6 242 and will run in the 4.4s. Being a Razorback fan, I've seen him play probably half his college games. You don't want him playing QB because he makes too many mistakes, but then again, he's the best athlete I've ever seen for a guy his size. Given some development at WR or TE, he'll be a major weapon for some team two or three years down the line.

If there's a guy to keep an eye on during the game,  its Matt Jones of Arkansas.  He's one of those guys who was a college option QB but will have to play WR or TE in the pros.  So,  he's a project.  Here's the thing:  he's 6'6 242 and will run in the 4.4s.  Being a Razorback fan,  I've seen him play probably half his college games.  You don't want him playing QB because he makes too many mistakes,  but then again,  he's the best athlete I've ever seen for a guy his size.  Given some development at WR or TE, he'll be a major weapon for some team two or three years down the line.

221025[/snapback]

Great minds think alike. Read my comments from Thursday morning, over on the College board.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=16950