Contract Years

Everyone, myself included, at some point says something about a player is in his contract year and that means he is going to play harder and therefore play better. It's universally accepted as being true as far as I can see. I've never really seen anyone dispute it. The best footballs minds on TV will occasionally bring it up.

Except it doesn't make any sense. It means, pretty much, that every player in the league loafs 80% of their seasons. They never try their hardest. They never give 100% unless its their contract year. Money is all these guys care about. The list goes on and on.

How can something be true and not be true?

Discuss and play nice.

It's a mental thing, almost human nature. There was an interesting bit from Roddy White on Hard Knocks this year, he was talking to Stephen Jackson about how when he was younger "and didn't care about football and was just having fun," (paraphrased but pretty much word for word) and the vets would all tell him that it has to be "this year" and he'd just go, "nah, next year we got this." But now that he's a vet he's the one telling the young guys, "F-that, it's this year."

To guys that are talented enough to play at the NFL level, especially guys with superstar level talent like Roddy White in this scenario, the game is easy. They can coast on their incredible skillset, while still giving 100% in the moment, because they've always been able to do that. When you're young and gifted you're also more likely to see yourself as invincible than the average 20-something; a few years in the NFL usually dispels that notion real quick. Then you enter your first contract year and realize, more than ever, that you need to put up numbers to either get paid like you feel you're deserved or just to maintain your current lifestyle. That's a sobering realization for a lot of young athletes and allows them to focus on being great every play -- not just when they feel like it.

At least that's the dime store psychology of it; but I think it's true and demonstrable across sport. The hungrier the athlete usually wins from prizefighting to basketball to football.

Edited by GreggyT

In other words, 80% of the time, they're not completely concentrating and playing 100%. :lol:

Pretty much. You can't step on the field and dog it, the game is too violent and too fast for that. But how many times do you see guys blow assignments, jump off sides even though they're playing NT and are inches away from the ball, running backs miss a clear hole or a DB take the wrong angle? Mental lapses happen to everyone in the NFL once in awhile. They tend to happen to guys in their contract years less because they're (usually) living and dying with each snap whereas some guys are more like young Roddy and out there having fun.

Pretty much. You can't step on the field and dog it, the game is too violent and too fast for that. But how many times do you see guys blow assignments, jump off sides even though they're playing NT and are inches away from the ball, running backs miss a clear hole or a DB take the wrong angle? Mental lapses happen to everyone in the NFL once in awhile. They tend to happen to guys in their contract years less because they're (usually) living and dying with each snap whereas some guys are more like young Roddy and out there having fun.

Yeah, that part makes sense.

Everyone, myself included, at some point says something about a player is in his contract year and that means he is going to play harder and therefore play better. It's universally accepted as being true as far as I can see. I've never really seen anyone dispute it. The best footballs minds on TV will occasionally bring it up.

Except it doesn't make any sense. It means, pretty much, that every player in the league loafs 80% of their seasons. They never try their hardest. They never give 100% unless its their contract year. Money is all these guys care about. The list goes on and on.

How can something be true and not be true?

Discuss and play nice.

I've been thinking the same thoughts about this recently. Though I can imagine some players on a losing team(or in a losing situation) not putting in a full(or close to full) effort, I find it difficult to imagine that a player who regularly plays at less than top effort would have the strength of mind to then be able to focus throughout an entire season(contract year) and put in that consistent high effort.

.....but then again, I've never played sport at the top level so my imaginings could be way off the mark.

The same sort of thing is frequently mentioned just after a player signs a big contract, but in a negative way -- i.e., he made his money so now he's coasting. We're dealing with young guys here and I think some of this is just human nature. We try harder and focus more when it's about survival (contract year) and then when we've "made it" there's a natural tendency to relax, which can also mean reduced focus. It's the somewhat rare athlete who has the drive to continue to put forth 100% effort regardless of the situation.

At least that's my $.02 take on it.

Not a big contract, but Alan Branch just gave us one case study (has he landed anywhere yet? I would presume we would have heard the landing).

I wonder if analytics departments have this kind of info (performance tied to contract status), and if they do it separated by position.

I could see it applying for a few positions specifically -- RB, WRs begging for the ball more often, DTs softening up after making their money. And the big paydays are usually coming after a number of years in the league. These guys may be dumb but they aren't stupid when it comes to knowing what gets them paid.

I think for a few other positions you just can't argue in favor of this. Every day that a QB isn't "on" is a day that his job is in jeopardy, unless he is one of the very best. If he's one of the very best, a great contract is never in question. Even if he's average, a decent contract will come. So "contract year" wouldn't seem to apply at this position.

I think, given the size of the contract he signed, and the strong production he has since put forth, it is fair to say that Mario Williams has been a safe investment as far as the "post-contract malaise" syndrome is concerned. That said, I haven't heard his name a ton this preseason, I hope this new defense take advantage of him like the Wannestedt defense did most of the year, because I believe he has some big cap hit seasons ahead, and if memory serves, I believe they can even cut him after this season for next to nothing, kind of a "mid-contract safety out" clause. If he has a down year, it becomes too easy for the FO to cut him, and claim they needed the money to re-sign guys.

Speaking if contract years, and what I just brought up, would you rather keep Mario, at his age or re-sign Hughes? Hmm.

I think, given the size of the contract he signed, and the strong production he has since put forth, it is fair to say that Mario Williams has been a safe investment as far as the "post-contract malaise" syndrome is concerned. That said, I haven't heard his name a ton this preseason, I hope this new defense take advantage of him like the Wannestedt defense did most of the year, because I believe he has some big cap hit seasons ahead, and if memory serves, I believe they can even cut him after this season for next to nothing, kind of a "mid-contract safety out" clause. If he has a down year, it becomes too easy for the FO to cut him, and claim they needed the money to re-sign guys.

Speaking if contract years, and what I just brought up, would you rather keep Mario, at his age or re-sign Hughes? Hmm.

Mario is a difference maker whether you hear his name or not. Defenses always have to account for him. If you watch the all-22 he is just consistently a disruptive force. People who look at the stat sheet only have developed this myth that he disappears, and knuckleheads like Jerry Sullivan perpetuate it. But Mario is exactly what you want in a flagship DE.

Mario is a difference maker whether you hear his name or not. Defenses always have to account for him. If you watch the all-22 he is just consistently a disruptive force. People who look at the stat sheet only have developed this myth that he disappears, and knuckleheads like Jerry Sullivan perpetuate it. But Mario is exactly what you want in a flagship DE.

Im still waiting for Jerry to retract his "cut Dareus" crusade.

Anyway, Mario is a great example of a player with obvious integrity and drive. Kyle Williams also. No drop off from these guys after getting their deals.

I don't want to imply or start whispers that Mario has been disappearing or ineffective, I haven't been able to see any of the preseason games, and only could go by the radio broadcasts, so I couldn't see him collapsing the pocket and forcing a throw, which might not get him mentioned but he has an effect on the game, or setting an edge on the D and pushing the run back inside, for the tackle to be made and talked about. Thanks for being the eyes for me, and letting me know he's still as effective as ever.

Not a big contract, but Alan Branch just gave us one case study (has he landed anywhere yet? I would presume we would have heard the landing).

I wonder if analytics departments have this kind of info (performance tied to contract status), and if they do it separated by position.

I could see it applying for a few positions specifically -- RB, WRs begging for the ball more often, DTs softening up after making their money. And the big paydays are usually coming after a number of years in the league. These guys may be dumb but they aren't stupid when it comes to knowing what gets them paid.

I think for a few other positions you just can't argue in favor of this. Every day that a QB isn't "on" is a day that his job is in jeopardy, unless he is one of the very best. If he's one of the very best, a great contract is never in question. Even if he's average, a decent contract will come. So "contract year" wouldn't seem to apply at this position.

alan branch is an excellent example of this phenomenon... the whole "guaranteed money" thing needs to go away and we go back to big contracts but minimal guaranteed $. that is the way it used to be .. cannot remember when the guaranteed contracts came into play.. its becoming baseball or the NBA. I am losing interest.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Im still waiting for Jerry to retract his "cut Dareus" crusade.

Anyway, Mario is a great example of a player with obvious integrity and drive. Kyle Williams also. No drop off from these guys after getting their deals.

Jerry is a very Zen writer who lives in the moment.

There is no other explanation for the kind of horsesh-- delivery service he has been running over the past 15 years, because if he remembered half of what he wrote, he'd see that he hasn't written much that he can be held accountable for.

alan branch is an excellent example of this phenomenon... the whole "guaranteed money" thing needs to go away and we go back to big contracts but minimal guaranteed $. that is the way it used to be .. cannot remember when the guaranteed contracts came into play.. its becoming baseball or the NBA. I am losing interest.

Alan Branch made 4m a year in Seattle. 2 years for 8m. Last year he made 3m in Buff. This year he signed a 3y 9.3m deal. So the same 3m a year as with the Bills but less than Sea. I don't think he fits that scenario at all.