Where have Marrone's and Hackett's Optimism Gone?

BonJovi

I see absolutely no optimism anymore with Doug Marrone. Frankly, he justs looks confused now whenever anyone asks him something. Hackett, you just don't hear anything from anymore.

Could be that 1 year of coaching the Bills is like experiencing 1 dog year, or maybe it's that these guys are truly starting to panic right now.

Either way, quite a different feeling from last year.

Welcome to the board -- your music sucks and you can't have our team.

Now, to answer your question -- I think those who followed Marrone at 'Cuse would tell you he was pretty cantankerous there also. I don't think it has anything to do with the specific circumstances. He's very friendly and engaging when it's not a pre- or post-game press conference situation. Last year was different, and it makes sense as to why.

I think Hackett's the same guy. Perhaps not as many interviews lately, but I don't think his personality has changed.

Thanks for the welcome, I guess.

All this talk about trading Spiller tells me that this organization might be in somewhat of a panic mode. Unless of course it's just that, all talk. I guess we shall see.

"All of this talk" is coming from sources not within the organization and is pure speculation by those who are paid to speculate. I do believe Marrone feels pressure to win, but I don't think that is being reflected in any panicked decisions. There's really only one thing that continues to confound me, and that's the backup QB situation.

"All of this talk" is coming from sources not within the organization and is pure speculation by those who are paid to speculate. I do believe Marrone feels pressure to win, but I don't think that is being reflected in any panicked decisions. There's really only one thing that continues to confound me, and that's the backup QB situation.

The backup situation is inconsequential. The Tuel and Lewis duel has little impact on the team regardless who wins out. Mediocrity is simply mediocrity. The overriding issue for this franchise's braintrust is the starting qb issue. They gambled their future on a raw talent with good character and impressive physical traits who simply isn't ready.

Instead of acquiring a Cassel or Schaub type qb to buy time for grooming their young qb they threw him in the fire and prayed that he would quickly come along. Please don't bring up that Kolb unfortuanately got hurt point. He was a hack qb who was plagued with concussion issues before he was even on the team. Whaley then doubled down and gave up next year's first round pick to move up a few spots in the hope of bringing in assets to help EJ. In my opinion he got it backward. In order to get a return on the huge cost for the sterling receiver he should have had a qb in place who could pass accurately enough to get the most out of his talented receiver corps.

Anyone who thinks that the string of non-playoffs season will be ended this year is deluding themselves. I like Whaley a lot. But the way he has handled the qb situation, with no backup plan, is not only jeopardizing the the team's prospects but also his job.

I don't want anyone to misconstrue what I am saying. EJ was a reasonable selection as long as he was handled in the right way. He was a raw prospect with talent who needed time to develop. It simply was too much of a risky gamble for an irrelevant franchise that has been out of the playoffs for 14 consecutive years, and still counting. And then giving up next year's draft to move up a few slots is a big risk for a franchise that can't afford to gamble away any of its future assets.

Thanks for the welcome, I guess.

All this talk about trading Spiller tells me that this organization might be in somewhat of a panic mode. Unless of course it's just that, all talk. I guess we shall see.

Fans and media discuss trading a specific player whose next contract year is an option and that means the team is in panic mode? :blink:

[/b]

Instead of acquiring a Cassel or Schaub type qb to buy time for grooming their young qb they threw him in the fire and prayed that he would quickly come along. Please don't bring up that Kolb unfortuanately got hurt point. He was a hack qb who was plagued with concussion issues before he was even on the team. Whaley then doubled down and gave up next year's first round pick to move up a few spots in the hope of bringing in assets to help EJ. In my opinion he got it backward. In order to get a return on the huge cost for the sterling receiver he should have had a qb in place who could pass accurately enough to get the most out of his talented receiver corps.

Umm 1st EJ has moved the ball with this O all preseason. Red zone is the only issue, and that is not all on EJ

2nd Kevin Kolb last year..

EJ still hasn't shown ANY ability to consistently push the ball down the field and make plays. He's been a check down machine that's stunk in the redzone(Not all his fault). It's too early to totally give up on the kid but he gives me very little confidence. Our offense has hardly been explosive this preseason. As for Marrone/Hackett, i still feel good about both of them, this year will be big for them.

Optimism? Honestly, this is the last thing I want to hear from these guys right now. I would rather they be "pissing in your cheerios" angry at the lack of execution. Should Marrone and Hackett be optimistic that they've had 10 visits to the red zone and ZERO touchdowns? I think both of these guys said the right things early on. Manuel is their guy and they're moving forward with the presumption that he's going to be the guy for awhile. To me, it's the right time NOW to lose the "we're making progress" attitude and demand more from the offense. The defense appears to be in regular season form. There's no reason the offense can't be there too.

Guest Diesel-USMC

I don't see "panic". If you don't think every NFL coach is under stress at every point during the season that is a crazy way to think.

I see absolutely no optimism anymore with Doug Marrone. Frankly, he justs looks confused now whenever anyone asks him something. Hackett, you just don't hear anything from anymore.

Could be that 1 year of coaching the Bills is like experiencing 1 dog year, or maybe it's that these guys are truly starting to panic right now.

Either way, quite a different feeling from last year.

:w00t: