Nugent may be drafted by Bucs

VABills

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBXNOVXE4E.html

We may not get a shot at drafting him.

DRAFT BUZZ: PK Mike Nugent has been assigned to the North squad for Saturday's game but that hasn't kept the Bucs, who are coaching the South squad, from spending a lot of time with the Ohio State product.

``I've talked with their coaches a lot this week, and I really like them,'' said Nugent, the winner of the 2004 Lou Groza Award as the best collegiate kicker.

Nugent might be a player the Bucs will consider selecting with their second- or third-round pick.

Well, it'll be tough to use their 2nd on him if we have their second...

keep your fingers crossed.

219411[/snapback]

Read the rest of the ariticle. Basically says with Hacket being signed the Bucs are going to go after Jordan, who Hacket knows.

Read the rest of the ariticle.  Basically says with Hacket being signed the Bucs are going to go after Jordan, who Hacket knows.

219417[/snapback]

That's why i said keep your fingers crossed. That article was all speculation about Jordan, and did mention Henry. It seems more likey they go with Jordan, but let's hope not.

Some more info on Jordan and Henry. Looks like Henry is forcing the issue and pretty much only wants to go to Miami. From an NFL insider type of source.

Since the Bucs have now signed former Jets offensive coordinator Paul Hackett as their quarterbacks coach, the anonymous league source suggested that the Bucs might now become a more favorable option for Martin if he doesn't re-sign with the Jets. The Bucs are trying to upgrade at running back this offseason; they've asked about Travis Henry, but he'd cost as much as a second round draft choice, and Henry may be more interested in going to Miami anyway. (We wonder if the "anonymous source" is Falcons GM Rich McKay, who was rumored to be the Trib's favorite anonymous source in the Bucs' front office when he was the GM at Tampa Bay. It wouldn't be above McKay to stir up the waters in his old home town.)

Some more info on Jordan and Henry.  Looks like Henry is forcing the issue and pretty much only wants to go to Miami.  From an NFL insider type of source.

219427[/snapback]

Someone should tell dimwitted Henry that where he's interested in going doesn't interest TD.

Someone should tell dimwitted Henry that where he's interested in going doesn't interest TD.

219443[/snapback]

I think it can be concluded once and for all that if Travis Henry hadn't become a pro football player, he would be lucky to be making minimum wage somewhere.

Hmmm...If a team has to contemplate using a #2 on a kicker, they don't strike me as having much in the talent evaluation department given all the kickers out there. You can make a good case for Ray Guy, Janikowski in a stretch I suppose.

The B'gals wasted a #3 on a jerk named Travis Dorch a few years ago - he was a kicker and a punter, but couldn't make fg's and could only kick line-drive 1 second hang time punts.

The B'gals wasted a #3 on a jerk named Travis Dorch a few years ago - he was a kicker and a punter, but couldn't make fg's and could only kick line-drive 1 second hang time punts.

219448[/snapback]

Then obviously that was a bad pick.

That drunk in Oakland went for a first....Nugent is better.

Oh, and he can kick field goals, and kickoffs into the endzone.

Hmmm...If a team has to contemplate using a #2 on a kicker, they don't strike me as having much in the talent evaluation department given all the kickers out there.  You can make a good case for Ray Guy, Janikowski in a stretch I suppose.

219448[/snapback]

Shocking. The Bengals did something stupid in the draft? Wow. :)

219443[/snapback]

I disagree. One of the good traits that TD has shown is that he plays well with others, even dimwitted overly egotistical players.

The match right now for TD and the Bills is not to prove that they are smarter than anc can best Travis Henry (which judging from the sweetheart deal with the Bills which TD and Henry signed to extend his contract for a year is not hard to do) but to try to get the maximum possible value out of a trading partner.

TD did a wonderful job working with Peerless Price who initially reacted in a kneejerk manner to getting tagged by the Bills, but pretty quickly it was clear that he spoke with someone he trusted (TD?) who educated him that he and the Bills had the same interest which was to extort the maximum possible value out of AT. Blank stupidly promised his customers that he he would pay whatever was necessaty to get Price for Vick and by franchising PP TD made trading a 1st (which became McGahee) part of what was necessary.

A version of this is now happening with Henry. It serves both the Bills interests and Henry's interests to get a trade done for him. In fact, TD by releasing Henry to find a deal, he is now doing TD's work by scoping out the market for TD. To the extent Henry does a good sales job of himself that benefits the Bills which TD cares deeply about.

So I disagree, i think TD cares alot what Henry says and does, cause if Henry does it well, its better intelligence about the market for us and if he makes the sale we benefit.

Viewing the Bills/Henry relationship as some mano-a-mano faceoff might make an individual feel like he has big cojones but it does no benefit the team at all.

Then obviously that was a bad pick.

That drunk in Oakland went for a first....Nugent is better. 

Oh, and he can kick field goals, and kickoffs into the endzone.

219486[/snapback]

So did Tulane's Seth Marler - in college.

He may well be a fine player, but other needs have to be addressed - the Bills can't afford a luxury pick, and their kicker history - cutting Graham, Gary Anderson, possibly Christie, paying $$$ for Lindell doesn't make me think they know jack about kickers anyway...

Sorry guys... He'll be long gone before Buffalo even picks.

219839[/snapback]

That may be, but I'll be seriously pissed if he is around by the time the Bills get to pick in the 2nd and they pass on him. If you want to immediately upgrade the team, Nugent alone wins you 1-2 more games next season than we would win if we went into the season with Lindell as our kicker.