If Philly were in the AFC....

ATBNG

The AFC was the dominant conference this year with a 44-20 advantage head to head and over 500 points more in those 64 games (over a TD per game). We had three 9-7 teams not make the playoffs (including you guys) and they had two 8-8 teams that made it.

Philly was clearly the best NFC team this season, but how would they have fared playing a schedule where they had 12 AFC games? Would they be up there with the New Englands and Pitsburghs, or more middle tier (Indy and San Diego), or wild card level (Jets and Denver), or with the good teams that didn't get in (Buffalo, Baltimore and Jacksonville)?

Probably something that is impossible to argue rationally, but what is your gut feeling?

The AFC was the dominant conference this year with a 44-20 advantage head to head and over 500 points more in those 64 games (over a TD per game). We had three 9-7 teams not make the playoffs (including you guys) and they had two 8-8 teams that made it. 

Philly was clearly the best NFC team this season, but how would they have fared playing a schedule where they had 12 AFC games? Would they be up there with the New Englands and Pitsburghs, or more middle tier (Indy and San Diego), or wild card level (Jets and Denver), or with the good teams that didn't get in (Buffalo, Baltimore and Jacksonville)?

Probably something that is impossible to argue rationally, but what is your gut feeling?

217464[/snapback]

My gut feeling is that they are a little better than Pittsburg. They would have lost twice to the Pats and either the Bills or Jets would have beaten them at least once. I'd give them 3 division losses and probably 2 losses out of the division to AFC teams. So 11-5 is what I think their record would have been.

My gut feeling is that they are a little better than Pittsburg. They would have lost twice to the Pats and either the Bills or Jets would have beaten them at least once. I'd give them 3 division losses and probably 2 losses out of the division to AFC teams. So 11-5 is what I think their record would have been.

217594[/snapback]

little better then pittsburgh? didnt pitt already destroy philly?

I agree wildcard at best. Philly played a powderpuff schedule all year. Who have they beaten? Cleveland took them to overtime. They got blown out their last two games(meaningless games I know but so was week 17 for Pittsburgh)

Sun Sep 12 NY Giants Win 31-17

2 Mon Sep 20 Minnesota Win 27-16

3 Sun Sep 26 at Detroit Win 30-13

4 Sun Oct 3 at Chicago Win 19-9

6 Sun Oct 17 Carolina Win 30-8 5-0

7 Sun Oct 24 at Cleveland Win (OT) 34-31

8 Sun Oct 31 Baltimore Win 15-10

9 Sun Nov 7 at Pittsburgh Loss 3-27

10 Mon Nov 15 at Dallas Win 49-21

11 Sun Nov 21 Washington Win 28-6

12 Sun Nov 28 at NY Giants Win 27-6

13 Sun Dec 5 Green Bay Win 47-17

14 Sun Dec 12 at Washington Win 17-14

15 Sun Dec 19 Dallas Win 12-7

16 Mon Dec 27 at St. Louis Loss 7-20

17 Sun Jan 2 Cincinnati Loss 10-38

The NFC is so inferior its not even funny. Philly 2-2 against the AFC this year- one of those squeaking by the Browns(the worst team in the AFC) in OT. Philly is gonna get blown out Sunday. Fuggin blown out. Game over by halftime.

little better then pittsburgh? didnt pitt already destroy philly?

217710[/snapback]

Pittsburgh destroyed the Pats as well. One game doesn't define a team. I will grant that the proposed record (12-4 or 11-5) does make the conclusion a little odd.

I think people are selling the Eagles a little short. Back in the day, in the Super Bowl era, people said the same about the Bills, particularly after the first Super Bowl loss. The Bills were viewed by many as maybe the 5th to 8th best team in the leauge. Just like then, I think that is a little off:

#1 Patriots

#2 Steelers

#3 Eagles