Atlanta Would Be Smart To Do It One More Time

I am sure that the Falcons owner (Blank?) is still fuming over giving up a 1st for Peerless. It must hurt that much more when he sees MaGahee, but it is vital, and difficult indeed to keep a qb who runs like this in one piece.

Jonas Jennings is a good blocker. He reportedly wants to play in Atlanta. There will be a market for Jonas because he can play any OL position and of course he is a good player.

Jennings has already played RT, and would be prepared to move right over and protect Vick's blindside.

My proposal? Franchise Jennings and cut a deal with Atlanta for their 2nd round pick. Blank could save face by not being fleeced for another first round pick, and secure a blocker who wants to be a falcon. Perhaps Jennings would even accept a tad less than open market value to play there.

If nothing can be done, lift the tag, whereas it would be too costly and just not practical to pay JJ 8 mil. per year. He is not worth this kind of cap space imo.

Would the falcons do it again?

Just a passing thought from a fan who desperately wants the Bills to get back into the first round.

That would be great for us, but Atlanta's need for an OL is not nearly as great as it was for a #1/1a receiver when we fleeced them. But like you said, maybe if we keep it reasonable it could work.....though I wouldn't get my hopes up. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons take a shot at Plaxicl Burress......if Vick can learn to find receivers other than Crumpler, that team might get scary.

Just a passing thought from a fan who desperately wants the Bills to get back into the first round.

216365[/snapback]

I'm not averse to amassing two or three second- or third-round picks by trading Henry and your JJ scenario.

Why pay first-round money for, what any other year, would be second-round talent?

Only reason why I might want to get a first would be if Nugent's stock goes up and other teams start drooling over him.

I am sure that the Falcons owner (Blank?) is still fuming over giving up a 1st for Peerless. It must hurt that much more when he sees MaGahee, but it is vital, and difficult indeed to keep a qb who runs like this in one piece.

Jonas Jennings is a good blocker. He reportedly wants to play in Atlanta. There will be a market for Jonas because he can play any OL position and of course he is a good player.

Jennings has already played RT, and would be prepared to move right over and protect Vick's blindside.

My proposal? Franchise Jennings and cut a deal with Atlanta for their 2nd round pick. Blank could save face by not being fleeced for another first round pick, and secure a blocker who wants to be a falcon. Perhaps Jennings would even accept a tad less than open market value to play there.

If nothing can be done, lift the tag, whereas it would be too costly and just not practical to pay JJ 8 mil. per year. He is not worth this kind of cap space imo.

Would the falcons do it again?

216365[/snapback]

my first preference would be to resign jennings and keep our o-line together........

if that isn't going to happen, we should certainly tag him and trade him for ANYTHING we can get, from whoever (there are many more teams that will be interested beyond the falcons)........1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever........something is better then nothing.........

Pretty big gamble. Top 5 Tackle $$ for Jennings is not smart capwise, especially when he's NOT a top 5 Tackle. If no one bit, he's ours but we lose out in other areas of the team.

For a good Tackle who's always fighting injuries, he's just not worth the massive cap hit.

Pretty big gamble. Top 5 Tackle $$ for Jennings is not smart capwise, especially when he's NOT a top 5 Tackle.  If no one bit, he's ours but we lose out in other areas of the team.

For a good Tackle who's always fighting injuries, he's just not worth the massive cap hit.

216415[/snapback]

why not just lift the f-tag and let him walk if "no one bites" say, within the first week? where is the harm in that?

my first preference would be to resign jennings and keep our o-line together........

if that isn't going to happen, we should certainly tag him and trade him for ANYTHING we can get, from whoever (there are many more teams that will be interested beyond the falcons)........1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, whatever........something is better then nothing.........

216414[/snapback]

The HUGE problem is that if you tag him and cant find any suitors for him (which is likely considering a franchise tag means he has a top 5 contract, plus the fact that whatever team we trade him to would have to work out their own deal for him, and that the FA market already has a bunch of solid O-Lineman available), then the Bills would be burdened with a one year deal for an insane amount of money...thereby eliminating any chance of any other upgrades we'd be able to do this offseason. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and let a player leave...happens to every NFL team. I personally dont see Jonas here next season because I think he'll demand some outrageous cash amount and be laughed out of TD's office like Peerless was.

why not just lift the f-tag and let him walk if "no one bites" say, within the first week? where is the harm in that?

216416[/snapback]

If we can do that, I say go for it.

The HUGE problem is that if you tag him and cant find any suitors for him (which is likely considering a franchise tag means he has a top 5 contract, plus the fact that whatever team we trade him to would have to work out their own deal for him, and that the FA market already has a bunch of solid O-Lineman available), then the Bills would be burdened with a one year deal for an insane amount of money...thereby eliminating any chance of any other upgrades we'd be able to do this offseason.  Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and let a player leave...happens to every NFL team.  I personally dont see Jonas here next season because I think he'll demand some outrageous cash amount and be laughed out of TD's office like Peerless was.

216418[/snapback]

again i ask, why not just lift the tag and let him walk IF no one is willing to give up ANYTHING for him (even a cheap 4th round pick)?

If we can do that, I say go for it.

216420[/snapback]

Thats the thing, I dont think we can...we might be able to lift it at some point next season, but we'd still be !@#$ed in the salary cap department. I mean, if you can just lift the tag whenever you want, why doesnt every NFL attempt to trade disgruntled players or guys who want too much money? I dont think you can just lift the tag whenever you feel like it.

Thats the thing, I dont think we can...we might be able to lift it at some point next season, but we'd still be !@#$ed in the salary cap department.  I mean, if you can just lift the tag whenever you want, why doesnt every NFL attempt to trade disgruntled players or guys who want too much money?  I dont think you can just lift the tag whenever you feel like it.

216423[/snapback]

the f-tag can be lifted anytime before the player signs it.........and why would he sign it within the first week of free agency when he can make MORE money by signing a long-term deal??

7M (f-tag) vs. 10M (signing bonus).........he's not going to sign the f-tag that quickly -- no one does.........

most teams don't do it because they don't have the salary cap flexability to pull off the move AND sign other free agents in the meantime........the bills do, as long as moulds restructures/extends.........

the f-tag can be lifted anytime before the player signs it.........and why would he sign it within the first week of free agency when he can make MORE money by signing a long-term deal??

7M (f-tag) vs. 10M (signing bonus).........he's not going to sign the f-tag that quickly -- no one does.........

most teams don't do it because they don't have the salary cap flexability to pull off the move AND sign other free agents in the meantime........the bills do, as long as moulds restructures/extends.........

216428[/snapback]

I think you are right on this. Remeber, Philly did this with Trotter a couple of years ago. Put the franchise tag on him, and then cut him in June. Like you said, the hard part is that whatever the average of the top 5 is, say $7m for JJ, that is automatically on your cap.

My question is can the club pull the offer at any time?If the player wlaks in first day of tag and says I'll accept, can the club back out?

I know there is crazy rule that precludes doing a deal long term when the tag is on, that is why most of those taged do not get deals done until August. I think if you sign a long term deal between like March 15 and August 15, the tag stays with that player for the length of the contract. Again, not sure on the specifics, but its something like that.

I think you are right on this. Remeber, Philly did this with Trotter a couple of years ago. Put the franchise tag on him, and then cut him in June. Like you said, the hard part is that whatever the average of the top 5 is, say $7m for JJ, that is automatically on your cap.

My question is can the club pull the offer at any time?If the player wlaks in first day of tag and says I'll accept, can the club back out?

I know there is crazy rule that precludes doing a deal long term when the tag is on, that is why most of those taged do not get deals done until August. I think if you sign a long term deal between like March 15 and August 15, the tag stays with that player for the length of the contract. Again, not sure on the specifics, but its something like that.

216534[/snapback]

like i said, the tag can be pulled anytime before the player signs the offer.........but again, i only suggest tagging jennings for the first week of free agency........if the market is dead and no one will give up ANYTHING for the right to sign him, you lift the tag and your no worse off for trying.......

i don't think jennings (or any other player) would take the offer in the first week.......it makes more sense to sign with another team and get MORE upfront money and security from a long-term contract......can anyone name a f-tagged player who did take the offer in the first week? this was a reason given by many to not tag peerless and he never touched his tender offer, preferring instead to get MORE money on a long-term deal.......

your pretty much on the mark regarding the time period for signing tagged players, although the signing period "re-opens" on July 15.......