(Offseason)QB coach: EJ Manuel could be bound for Pro Bowl season

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what this is: odds. Betting. It's a safer bet to say EJ will fail, not just because so many recent Bills QBs have failed, but, because so many QBs fail in the NFL in general. Taking the FAIL side of the bet is betting with the odds. That's all it is. This confuses some into thinking they are being more "realistic" by doing so. Reality has nothing to do with betting, as betting is predictive, and reality is(or should be) empirical.

The only "reality" is the outcome of the bet. And of course, devolving the analysis of EJ's play this season into Manichean terms(he can ONLY fail or succeed, nothing else), is the province of the unmitigated moron. Why? Because EJ is quite capable of presenting us with a glass that is exactly 50% full of water this season. :rolleyes::lol: We all know what happens then. :wallbash:

Much depends on where we "set the bar", statistically, and whether we stick with that bar, or start moving it when whichever side of the "bet" we chose approaches "losing". The worst thing: The only way EJ can ever truly beat the "negative bar movers"? Season MVP, SB win, SB MVP.

Other than that, anyone can find fault with EJ's game. And even if that becomes "reality" somebody will start criticizing the selection process for those awards! :lol: (I literally saw this happen with a Ryan Miller hater...the year he won the Vezina)

The bottom line: If we have people who replace their subjective/wishful thinking, for empirical results cast against a consistent standard that was set prior to the season...we will have dopey, 20 page threads...and that's a "lock". (Still a bet though)

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

I had the hilarious experience of watching Trent Dilfer play for the Bucs for a few games, live.

Throwing off his back foot seemed totally natural for him, since he did it every game, every play. It didn't seem that difficult for him.

So I don't know what to tell you. :lol:

After the snap, an NFL QB has to process a lot of information in a short amount of time. Most people--including most college QBs--lack the information processing ability necessary to play at a high level in the NFL.

When a college QB prospect is described as "raw," it typically means he's done nothing at the college level to indicate a high level of information processing ability. If a prospect does not demonstrate this ability in college, he's extremely unlikely to do so in the NFL.

There are those who think that NFL coaches are grills: grills capable of turning "raw" prospects into finished products. This is illusory thinking. Most college QBs can never learn to process information anywhere near an Aaron Rodgers level, no matter how much coaching they receive.

After the snap, an NFL QB has to process a lot of information in a short amount of time. Most people--including most college QBs--lack the information processing ability necessary to play at a high level in the NFL.

When a college QB prospect is described as "raw," it typically means he's done nothing at the college level to indicate a high level of information processing ability. If a prospect does not demonstrate this ability in college, he's extremely unlikely to do so in the NFL.

There are those who think that NFL coaches are grills: grills capable of turning "raw" prospects into finished products. This is illusory thinking. Most college QBs can never learn to process information anywhere near an Aaron Rodgers level, no matter how much coaching they receive.

Aaron Rogers has the highest career passer rating of all time. By a lot. He also wasn't picked until #24 and rode the pine for 3 years.

(1) I don't believe there is any standard definition for raw as it equates to youg QBs.

(2) there are a number of QBs once called raw under center for Superbowl contenders. (Wilson, keap, Cam, Flacco, Ben, Eli, Romo, Cutler, Brady, stafford) I mean come on are just means talented but need some work. That's it...

Aaron Rogers has the highest career passer rating of all time. By a lot. He also wasn't picked until #24 and rode the pine for 3 years.

(1) I don't believe there is any standard definition for raw as it equates to youg QBs.

(2) there are a number of QBs once called raw under center for Superbowl contenders. (Wilson, keap, Cam, Flacco, Ben, Eli, Romo, Cutler, Brady, stafford) I mean come on are just means talented but need some work. That's it...

I looked around for material written about Aaron Rodgers back in 2005. I found the following:

Report 1

He has . . . pinpoint accuracy. He's also a smart quarterback who makes great reads and few mistakes. . . . He doesn't possess great athletic ability, but has good awareness and moves around well in the pocket. He . . . makes quick decisions. Rogers has improved considerably at going through his progressions and does a good job of looking off the safety. . . . He should make a quick transition to the NFL. . . . He should be selected in the top five overall.

Report 2

He has a compact quick delivery with sound mechanics that allows him to throw the ball very accurately on a game to game basis. . . . He has excellent pocket presence with keen awareness of his unit and the quick decision making to identify defensive coverage and get the ball to the hot receiver. . . . He shows rare field vision that has allowed him to make the proper read throughout the game. . . . [He identifies the] defensive coverage quicker [than any recent college passer] to make the quick decision and throw. . . . His accuracy is in a class by itself. . . . He has exceptional timing and accuracy to the point that he hits receivers in stride consistently. . . .

He should be the 1st overall pick with the 49ers foolish not to take him there and begin a new era.

Report 3

He's a little short. The thing you worry about is those [Jeff] Tedford guys. They don't do anything for a couple years and then they have a good year or two. Who of his quarterbacks has done what they're supposed to do? None of them. - Mark Ross, a scout for the Buffalo Bills back in 2005

None of the pre-draft profiles I saw for Aaron Rodgers described him as "raw." He was praised for his quick, accurate decisions, ability to see the whole field, and his pocket awareness. There were concerns that he was a little shorter than you'd ideally like, and that he lacked great foot speed. There were also those who feared he might be a product of Tedford's system making QBs look better than they really were.

> there are a number of QBs once called raw under center for Superbowl contenders. (Wilson, keap, Cam, Flacco, Ben, Eli, Romo, Cutler, Brady, stafford)

The above didn't ring true to me; so I looked up several scouting reports for Tom Brady. None described him as "raw." The negatives I saw raised about him were generally about his physical traits, not his decision-making. For example: "Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a really strong arm."

Edited by Edwards' Arm