Here's something to think about... Brandon, Whaley, Marrone

Dan

Every single one of them that thinks a move will result in more money for the league (and therefore, themselves).

The only way the Bills stay in Buffalo, is if the new owner is a total homer. Otherwise, the team will move to wherever is most profitable, and the owners will jump on board.

I'll follow your logic tree here and ask for simple feedback. The single largest component of NFL revenue is advertising. Businesses pay billions of dollars per year to buy 30 second and one minute clips during regular season games. During the Superbowl last year, they spent nearly $2 billion. Advertising revenue is shared equally among all of the NFL's 32 teams. At the end of the day, what is advertising revenue tied to the most? Viewership. The more people tuning in to watch games, the better the argument that advertisers should pay more. Cue in the Buffalo Bills that are ranked 13th by the NFL in viewership last year. Viewership that I may remind anyone that's pays attention, drives the #1 source of revenue for NFL team owners.

One other point to be made here that people continue to whiff mightily on. L.A. as a city is ready to go and wants a team now. Due to the lease terms signed just over a year ago, the earliest that the Bills could realistically move is 2020. There is no "getting out" of the $400 million penalty that a new owner would have to pay. There would be a long arduous legal battle to try to get out of it. Heck, that might take you to 2020 anyway. Is L.A. really going to wait 6 years for an NFL team? I seriously doubt it. London is certainly interesting and us fans collectively know that the NFL has its eyes open to the possibility of going international. The problem with London is that there is no fan base there. You're talking about essentially starting from scratch and having to work out revenue sharing and advertising in a market where the NFL has zero leverage.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Marrone is coming off a losing season, and you fire him, you have to replace him. However, if the team does not have new ownership, who is going to want to take the job? Everyone knows that a new owner almost certainly means an entirely new organization.. President, GM, Coaches, you name it. So who's going to want that job? Hacket maybe.

and the same logic holds for the string of underwhelming coaches that have been brought in over the last decade. when 2nd tier candidates say no to even an interview, there's clearly a problem. i guess that's how you end up with chan gailey and skeletor. had wilson sold earlier, it wouldn't have been an issue but then again the bills might be somewhere else by now.

Every single one of them that thinks a move will result in more money for the league (and therefore, themselves).

The only way the Bills stay in Buffalo, is if the new owner is a total homer. Otherwise, the team will move to wherever is most profitable, and the owners will jump on board.

Not to mention if your an owner and you vote no to a move. When you want something from the rest of the owners don't be surprised when they vote no. Never underestimate the influence of politics, corporate or otherwise.

I'll follow your logic tree here and ask for simple feedback. The single largest component of NFL revenue is advertising. Businesses pay billions of dollars per year to buy 30 second and one minute clips during regular season games. During the Superbowl last year, they spent nearly $2 billion. Advertising revenue is shared equally among all of the NFL's 32 teams. At the end of the day, what is advertising revenue tied to the most? Viewership. The more people tuning in to watch games, the better the argument that advertisers should pay more. Cue in the Buffalo Bills that are ranked 13th by the NFL in viewership last year. Viewership that I may remind anyone that's pays attention, drives the #1 source of revenue for NFL team owners.

One other point to be made here that people continue to whiff mightily on. L.A. as a city is ready to go and wants a team now. Due to the lease terms signed just over a year ago, the earliest that the Bills could realistically move is 2020. There is no "getting out" of the $400 million penalty that a new owner would have to pay. There would be a long arduous legal battle to try to get out of it. Heck, that might take you to 2020 anyway. Is L.A. really going to wait 6 years for an NFL team? I seriously doubt it. London is certainly interesting and us fans collectively know that the NFL has its eyes open to the possibility of going international. The problem with London is that there is no fan base there. You're talking about essentially starting from scratch and having to work out revenue sharing and advertising in a market where the NFL has zero leverage.

I'm not insinuating that it's a done deal, or an easy sell. Just that if there's more money elsewhere, the owners will support the move, because it'd bring in more money. These are businesses first, and it's important to remember.

Now if a new owner studies and sees Buffalo as the most profitable option for the near future, we're safe until that's no longer true.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/03/30/nfl-los-angeles/7088559/

Exactly. Also, wouldn't it make sense that the better the team is, the more revenue it bring in and the more expensive it is to purchase. The more expensive it is to purchase, the more likely it is to move to a market that can increase the ROI?

I think it's about a 50/50 proposition at this point.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/03/30/nfl-los-angeles/7088559/http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/03/30/nfl-los-angeles/7088559/http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/03/30/nfl-los-angeles/7088559/i

They may hold the Bills' future in their hands. With the Bills going into a trust, to be sold at some point in the future, they (and the rest of the FO) are here to build this team and try to make it a winner for at least a couple more years. No chance Marrone gets canned as long as this team is in trust.

If they do build a winning team, with a play off appearance, I think it changes everything when a new owner comes in. Conversely, it's easier to move if the team tanks it from here out.

You gotta wonder... will they develop an us against the league mentality and pull closer together to do all they can with this one shot or will they ride it out?

I'm thinking the entire team should develop an us against the world mentality for the next few years. Screw playoff appearance, how about a SB appearance. They nearly have the D, they have offensive weapons, a few more pices and they can win the AFC. They are rising when teams like Denver and NE will be faltering.

The Bills had an owner who's primary concern was keeping the Bills in Buffalo, and in order to keep the stadium filled he needed to discount the seat prices.The Bills currently have some of the cheapest NFL seats in the league, if not the cheapest. New ownership is going to look at that and think even if the stadium sells out every game I can still make more money elsewhere by raising the seat prices to the norm.

While I love what Mr Wilson did in keeping the Bills in Buffalo, and making as certain as he could that they would stay in Buffalo at least seven more years. I'm not sold on how this team is currently going about building a winning team. So far I haven't seen any real change in the philosophy of building a dominate D line with 100 million dollar players vs trying to band-aid the O line with sub par players. They let their best pass blocker leave in free agency last year and replaced him with utter garbage players The Bills have only two decent starters on that line, and no real solid depth. The most important position on the field is the QB, and the Bills don't appear to be overly concerned with protecting him very well.

The coaching was very suspect last season, the play calls, the scheme. The outright moronic decisions on who they replaced Levitre with, and no vet back up QB. 6-10 SSDY.

Winning cures everything! If the team was winning then they could raise ticket prices. In order to make this team more lucrative and allow the new owners to keep the team in Buffalo. The FO needs to rethink the current process of building a playoff team. JMO

Edited by FeartheLosing