Do Larger Contracts Mean Better Play ?

T master

With all of the big contracts going around these days you would think the players would be more lights out while on the field & out playing a lot of the players of the past but it just doesn't seem to be . Most of us here in Buffalo have seen that signing a big contract usually means the player has lower out put the year after the contract signing .

There are articles asking if Jadaveon Clowney will be motivated as a millionaire , & we have seen in our own Mario Williams, while with the Texans & after his historic contract signing in Buffalo have sometimes smaller out put than the contract amount should allude to . Chris Johnson of the Titans was the same thing !!

There are plenty of other players reading different articles here & there that say the same thing that players have been less than the player they were that got them the huge contract, so why aren't more of the contracts written with clauses stating that the players pay will be increased by out put which would be more of a incentive to play harder as they did to get that big contract , & if they don't produce they don't get paid ! Jerry Hughes comes to mind in this category ...

Simple right ? WIll the same thing happen to Byrd here in B/lo if he is given the kind of money that he wants ?

Fitz got the big money & his play went down but i think that was premature evaluation, which lead to premature evacuation before his contract could be filled . Which if his contract was incentive based the Bills wouldn't be holding the bag on so much dead money .

OK i get it if you have a Manning, Rogers, Megatron, & others that continually show high out put while on the field, heck even Mario because he draws so many double teams that others get free so i can even see him getting paid his contract to a point . But i still think if his was a more performance based contract he might have gotten closer to 15 sacks who knows .

Do you all think given the past down turn in players out put after signing these huge contracts that it might be due to "well now i got the money so i'm not going to play as hard so i don't get hurt" or is it just fate or what ever you might call it . Is that all these players are motivated for is that big pay day then they slow down ?

I know players like Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Jerry Rice, & Walter Peyton played hard every play & was it simply because they were striving to be who they turned out to be ? Was it simply because of their HOF DNA ? Was it because they were striving to get that bigger pay check ? What exactly was their motivation to be the great players that they are remembered as today ?

We all know it was a different game before free agency & all of those great players that left it out on the field , but has the game changed that much or has the out look of the players changed that much ?

I for one don't think bigger contracts mean better play in todays NFL !! And very seldom does the drive match the contract after the big one is signed !!

Edited by T master

So Mario's 60m contract kept him hungry but 100m has not? And his play has declined since Houston?

Chris Johnson is a small back that got a ton of touches. I'm guessing beaten up and paid on the downside, not lazy

Fitzs play never truly went down either.

No, not always.

Albert Haynsworth ring a bell?

Mario Williams during the 1st half of last season (2012). (because of his injury)

Fitzs got $ and then got worse

Same (similar) with Joe Flacco

Mark Sanchez Contract: five years, $58.25 million ($20.5 million guaranteed)

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

i don't know as if anyone ever played harder once they got paid, because they got paid. i think that there are certain players that have a lot of talent and a competitive drive to be the best that are rewarded with huge contracts because of it. and then there are players who have moments of greatness and are given huge money for those moments with the hopes that these moments become more and more frequent.