Calvin Pryor - Safety/Louisville

YoloinOhio

If things don't work out for the Bills and Byrd and they choose not to tag him.... this prospect has the size of Cam Chancellor and game of Bob Sanders. He is expected to go in the 1st but we could maybe trade down from 9 and get him. He is bigger than Byrd and appears to be extremely skilled and athletic. FTR I want the Bills to sign Byrd to be the contract he wants. I don't want to start over. But if we had to, this kid looks like the real deal. Younger, cheaper, bigger and we could work him in with Searcy and Leonard. Again, I prefer to keep Byrd because he is a known commodity who has proven he is an elite NFL safety, something we don't know with Pryor. And I want to keep our talent that we drafted and developed. But we all know it is a possibility we may need to replace Byrd - even we tag and trade him, we aren't getting a good FS in return - and there are just not a lot NFL-ready safeties coming out of college.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3y2XwXujkk

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't see a scenario where the Bills don't tag Byrd

Pryor looks like a beast though but looks like more of a SS then FS although some will say it doesn't matter

Most of those hits were clean but we all know some will draw a flag in the NFL

Edited by Max997

Dude looks like the real deal except if he doesn't get his head up he will be playing for free in the NFL cause he will be fined a lot for helmet to helmet hits.

The guy hits like a tank though if we need to cut Byrd loose we could do a lot worse for sure . I'm in !

I don't see a scenario where the Bills don't tag Byrd

Pryor looks like a beast though but looks like more of a SS then FS although some will say it doesn't matter

Most of those hits were clean but we all know some will draw a flag in the NFL

Maybe a dumb question and I apologize, but does it depend on the system/scheme as to why it wouldn't matter or is that universal? I have seen people say that too and always thought it did matter. For example, I can't see Byrd playing SS but I could see AW playing FS. Also, the franchise tag doesn't distinguish between FS and SS so they look at it as the same value.. But I don't know how interchangeable they really are or does it just depend on the defense you run.

Dude looks like the real deal except if he doesn't get his head up he will be playing for free in the NFL cause he will be fined a lot for helmet to helmet hits.

The guy hits like a tank though if we need to cut Byrd loose we could do a lot worse for sure . I'm in !

I noticed that too

Maybe a dumb question and I apologize, but does it depend on the system/scheme as to why it wouldn't matter or is that universal? I have seen people say that too and always thought it did matter. For example, I can't see Byrd playing SS but I could see AW playing FS. Also, the franchise tag doesn't distinguish between FS and SS so they look at it as the same value.. But I don't know how interchangeable they really are or does it just depend on the defense you run.

It can depend on the system as a cover 2 defense tends to play both safety's back in coverage making them more interchangable

Other more aggressive defenses tend to play their SS's closer to the line of scrimmage in a more run support role with the FS in pass coverage.

Thats how I differentiate the safety positions anyway and believe thats how Swartz will play his safety's considering his background under Fisher who played and coached under Buddy Ryan. If the Bills did move on from Byrd I could see them moving Williams to FS and starting Searcy at SS as he could excel in a system that plays its SS closer to the line

Edited by Max997