In-game injury reports/updates

wnysteel

Been saving this rant for a while. The only bigger joke in the NFL than the regular injury report during the week, is the in-game report.

Case in point from yesterday:

--Moreno was called "probable" after he went out, and never returned

--Sherman was called "doubtful" as he's being carted off with 5 minutes remaining (was next shown in street clothes on crutches)

Usually, questionable means they are gone for the game, probable means its 50/50, and doubtful means they are probably gone for a few games after the current game.

I would have to watch through a bunch more games for more specifics, but the in-game injury reporting is useless.

well, i have to ask but im pretty sure the answer: in game injury reporting is simply whatever fox/cbs/espn can figure out while digging around the sidelines and makeup a term for.... its not an official process, is it?

I'm not sure.

The sideline reporter said something along the lines of, "The team quickly listed Sherman as doubtful to return."

I'm not sure.

The sideline reporter said something along the lines of, "The team quickly listed Sherman as doubtful to return."

the phrasing lastnight was the only thing that gave me pause in the response. i was under the impression though that there was no official listing. it would be near impossible, really.

additionally we would surely have heard about the team doctors having 4 minutes to update with an official status. im pretty sure the reporters say "hey trainer or random guy within earshot of the trainers - think hes coming back?" and when they get a "probably" "doubt it" or "no way," they flash the corresponding graphic.

Edited by NoSaint

i think your issue goes far beyond in game injury reports, and extends into "any breaking news report ever" in this case.

i've heard lots of sideline reporters say something to the effect that "the official word from the team is questionable for player X". what's the point of saying something is official, when it does not seem to be based on any type of fact?

i've heard lots of sideline reporters say something to the effect that "the official word from the team is questionable for player X". what's the point of saying something is official, when it does not seem to be based on any type of fact?

right but official word at this point likely means "someone with actual knowledge of the situation says hes not sure if he can come back"

if you adjust your expectations, and dont treat it as an OFFICIAL REPORT OF FACT and instead simply as a report of something said by an official of the team as an initial reaction to a developing situation, you can appreciate the info as a yes/no/maybe that isnt fact but a quick update in the moment. when a guy gets hit in the knee, theres only so much fact to be had within a few minutes typically, unless its completely and obviously blown out, or totally fine.

what's the point of saying something is official, when it does not seem to be based on any type of fact?

Because then John Madden can say what "warrior" Emmitt Smith is when he comes back into the game after being listed as "doubtful" for a torn fingernail.