Do we need Linebacker Depth?

Spikes and Fletcher are a lock without question..are we satfisfied with the production of Posey though? he was brought in to be a situational pass rusher, yes I know he rarely makes a mistake and he's always in the right spot, but he doesn't show the same intensity and flare that takeo and london show..he had 1 sack last season and 39 solo tackles..I think the only thing that would save his job is because Jerry Gray likes him and he's a team player, being in the right spots all the time..I mean I wouldn't complain if he was to return as the starter on that side which he probably will..but I also wouldn't complain if we were to bring somebody in who shows the same intensity and grit like fletcher and spikes have..

How bout Akin Ayodele from jacksonville? I like this kids intensity and fire when he's on the field..not to mention he's coming from a pretty good defense in jacksonville..his tackle production is higher then posey's in a 3 season span and he'll bring some youth to an already firey linebacking corps..

thoughts?

Minus Ray Lewis--Zach Thomas--and Donnie Edwards I really dont think it matters who is in there because the numbers arent going to be great when you play next to TKO and London. You already stated whats important--Posey is in the right place ALWAYS and he doesn't make mistakes.

Spikes and Fletcher are a lock without question..are we satfisfied with the production of Posey though? he was brought in to be a situational pass rusher, yes I know he rarely makes a mistake and he's always in the right spot, but he doesn't show the same intensity and flare that takeo and london show..he had 1 sack last season and 39 solo tackles..I think the only thing that would save his job is because Jerry Gray likes him and he's a team player, being in the right spots all the time..I mean I wouldn't complain if he was to return as the starter on that side which he probably will..but I also wouldn't complain if we were to bring somebody in who shows the same intensity and grit like fletcher and spikes have..

How bout Akin Ayodele from jacksonville? I like this kids intensity and fire when he's on the field..not to mention he's coming from a pretty good defense in jacksonville..his tackle production is higher then posey's in a 3 season span and he'll bring some youth to an already firey linebacking corps..

thoughts?

213033[/snapback]

They could use an upgrade on Posey. He's not a liability but he's not special. Not getting any younger either. Depth-wise, the Bills are good. Big Josh Stamer fan.

Second half of preseason games is Stamer-time!

he rarely makes a mistake and he's always in the right spot

If you consider turning your back to traffic to not be a mistake and the right spot to be 6yrds from the LOS getting sealed off by a 190lb slot receiver, then yep, that's definitely Posey.

Right along with Drew and JoeHybrid at LG, Posey is at the top of the list of "Bills about to lose thier jobs".

Cya

They could use an upgrade on Posey.  He's not a liability but he's not special.  Not getting any younger either.  Depth-wise, the Bills are good.  Big Josh Stamer fan.

Second half of preseason games is Stamer-time!

213075[/snapback]

That's about as well put on Posey as I've seen here. I thought I was the only one that appreciated Stamer-time :D:P

I'd also like to see more of Crowell this coming preseason. He's getting pretty good on special teams but he needs to show more as a LB. I'd put Haggan in that boat too...

I wouldn't spend money on a FA LB, if a player comes up during the draft then of course.

All money in FA needs to be used to fortify the OL. With further improvement on the OL Willis could rush for a 5.0 avg, and JP could better gain the confidence he needs.

If you consider turning your back to traffic to not be a mistake and the right spot to be 6yrds from the LOS getting sealed off by a 190lb slot receiver, then yep, that's definitely Posey.

Right along with Drew and JoeHybrid at LG, Posey is at the top of the list of "Bills about to lose thier jobs".

Cya

213077[/snapback]

I think there is no question that there is a big drop-off in productivity from Spikes & Fletcher down to Posey. Yet, this drop-off does not seem to be reflected in the D producing horrible results or in a series of plays where the D got raped because of a Posey mistake (if anything I would say that Fletcher has been the noticeable players taking some bad penalties which have extended drives like a couple of early season personal fouls which I thought were bad calls and a pass interference in the Pitts game).

It's hard to inquire or debate about these specific points without a reference to which game (s) they occured and when in the game would be great.

However, there is simply a big difference between even a correct accusation that Posey turned the wrong way and got burned for a TD, or he got sealed off and that led to a big gain and just the accusation that he turned the wrong way and nothing happened.

Particularly with the Bills smacking the top of the cap expenditure lists and the D generally being incredibly productive even with these Posey faux-pas I think it becomes a lot harder to put his position at the top of our acquisition list compared to other areas where injuries to TEs, a bad chip shot miss by Lindell and offensive failures make these areas changes that could make a difference in W/L.

I think there is no question that there is a big drop-off in productivity from Spikes & Fletcher down to Posey. Yet, this drop-off does not seem to be reflected in the D producing horrible results or in a series of plays where the D got raped because of a Posey mistake

It's not about "production" with Posey, any more than it's about "production" with Drew. It's only about what any individual player does from the time he walks up to the line 'til the time the play is over, regardless of what anybody else does around him. It doesn't matter how many balls Moulds drops or how well the D finishes statistically; when evaluating players the only thing that matters is individual performance.

if anything I would say that Fletcher has been the noticeable players taking some bad penalties which have extended drives like a couple of early season personal fouls which I thought were bad calls

Using Flether as a comparison doesn't work due to the above reasons and in this case because he was nothing more then the victim of a couple atrocious calls.

It's hard to inquire or debate about these specific points without a reference to which game (s) they occured and when in the game would be great.

However, there is simply a big difference between even a correct accusation that Posey turned the wrong way and got burned for a TD, or he got sealed off and that led to a big gain and just the accusation that he turned the wrong way and nothing happened.

You want a more specific example? OK. Grab a Bills tape; it doesn't matter which, any one will do. Watch Posey. There's your example.

It's his apporach to the game that makes him a weak player. Whether it's the exampled mentioned previously, or his repeated refusal to attack loose balls cuz he doesn't like to put his head in the pile, or his running away from blockers when "rushing" the passer, he's a terribly, terribly soft player. He can't cover, he can't blitz and he's wholly ineffective at the point of attack. You know how teams gameplan the Bills? 1stdown: attack Posey by running off the edge at him. 2nddown: attack Posey by throwing into the flat or running a screen to his side. 3rddown: Posey's off the field so attack McGee by throwing at the sticks.

Particularly with the Bills smacking the top of the cap expenditure lists and the D generally being incredibly productive even with these Posey faux-pas I think it becomes a lot harder to put his position at the top of our acquisition list compared to other areas where injuries to TEs, a bad chip shot miss by Lindell and offensive failures make these areas changes that could make a difference in W/L.

What makes this situation so easy is that upgrading Posey can be done for peanuts. We don't need to go sign a Donnie Edwards or draft a Julian Peterson; all we need to do is snag a 30yrold run-of-the-mill NFL vet for the league minimum and the position is instantly upgraded. In fact I bet you we could upgrade the position and actually save money against the cap. If somebody puts up a list of FA LB's, I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least a dozen such viable alternatives on it.

Cya

It's not about "production" with Posey, any more than it's about "production" with Drew. It's only about what any individual player does from the time he walks up to the line 'til the time the play is over, regardless of what anybody else does around him. It doesn't matter how many balls Moulds drops or how well the D finishes statistically; when evaluating players the only thing that matters is individual performance.

Using Flether as a comparison doesn't work due to the above reasons and in this case because he was nothing more then the victim of a couple atrocious calls.

You want a more specific example? OK. Grab a Bills tape; it doesn't matter which, any one will do. Watch Posey. There's your example.

It's his apporach to the game that makes him a weak player. Whether it's the exampled mentioned previously, or his repeated refusal to attack loose balls cuz he doesn't like to put his head in the pile, or his running away from blockers when "rushing" the passer, he's a terribly, terribly soft player. He can't cover, he can't blitz and he's wholly ineffective at the point of attack. You know how teams gameplan the Bills? 1stdown: attack Posey by running off the edge at him. 2nddown: attack Posey by throwing into the flat or running a screen to his side. 3rddown: Posey's off the field so attack McGee by throwing at the sticks.

What makes this situation so easy is that upgrading Posey can be done for peanuts. We don't need to go sign a Donnie Edwards or draft a Julian Peterson; all we need to do is snag a 30yrold run-of-the-mill NFL vet for the league minimum and the position is instantly upgraded. In fact I bet you we could upgrade the position and actually save money against the cap. If somebody puts up a list of FA LB's, I wouldn't be surprised if there's at least a dozen such viable alternatives on it.

Cya

213348[/snapback]

Posey made some pretty good plays at times this year and showed a general improvement, but is still the weakest link on a goog LB crew. Although I don't totally agree with you on Posey Simon (I'm not sure I've been fair by watching him quite as closely as you have) , I love the methods to your madness :devil: