Jets may let Abraham walk

JP-era

I, and many others are thinking that TD is playing the tight wad game with his vets to get enough cash to grab a superstar. I still think its most likely a LT, but it could be the best damn DE in the league IMO, John Abraham.

Heres Lenny P's take on the situation:

Word is that Jets officials, soured now on Abraham, might indeed allow him to escape as an unrestricted free agent in two months. Earlier, the team had indicated it intended to retain him for at least one more season by designating him a "franchise" player, a marker that carries a qualifying offer of at least $6.503 million. But in the wake of the public relations disaster with Abraham, and some hard feelings inside the locker room and the executive offices about his attitude, there have been reports New York might instead use the "franchise" label to keep tailback LaMont Jordan, a guy who continues to make big plays when he is on the field. Jordan was the subject of the sideline tiff last week between Herm Edwards and running backs coach Bishop Harris. It seems Edwards, who all but ignored Jordan the first three years of his career, despite annual promises of enhanced playing time, suddenly has fallen in love with the reserve back and wants him to get more snaps. It's difficult to conceive, though, that the Jets would budget at least $5.16 million, the cost of the "franchise" tag for a tailback, on a backup. Starter Curtis Martin, even at age 31, is coming off a career year. Sure, the tailback position is one where a player could lose a critical step very quickly. But spending $5 million on a backup, even if the gambit is made with an eye toward retaining his rights to trade him, is a big swallow. And it's one that, rumors aside, the Jets probably won't make.

Anybody else stoked over the thought of our next Bruce Smith?

I doubt this is going to happen. I don't consider John Abraham a character guy after this "sitting out" stuff. I defended him up and down. I understand why he did it, but I don't what him on the Bills. Plus he hasn't played a full season in two years.

I would like the guy's talent on our team, however you shouldn't mention Abraham and Smith in the same paragraph.

I, and many others are thinking that TD is playing the tight wad game with his vets to get enough cash to grab a superstar. I still think its most likely a LT, but it could be the best damn DE in the league IMO, John Abraham.

Heres Lenny P's take on the situation:

Word is that Jets officials, soured now on Abraham, might indeed allow him to escape as an unrestricted free agent in two months. Earlier, the team had indicated it intended to retain him for at least one more season by designating him a "franchise" player, a marker that carries a qualifying offer of at least $6.503 million. But in the wake of the public relations disaster with Abraham, and some hard feelings inside the locker room and the executive offices about his attitude, there have been reports New York might instead use the "franchise" label to keep tailback LaMont Jordan, a guy who continues to make big plays when he is on the field. Jordan was the subject of the sideline tiff last week between Herm Edwards and running backs coach Bishop Harris. It seems Edwards, who all but ignored Jordan the first three years of his career, despite annual promises of enhanced playing time, suddenly has fallen in love with the reserve back and wants him to get more snaps. It's difficult to conceive, though, that the Jets would budget at least $5.16 million, the cost of the "franchise" tag for a tailback, on a backup. Starter Curtis Martin, even at age 31, is coming off a career year. Sure, the tailback position is one where a player could lose a critical step very quickly. But spending $5 million on a backup, even if the gambit is made with an eye toward retaining his rights to trade him, is a big swallow. And it's one that, rumors aside, the Jets probably won't make.

Anybody else stoked over the thought of our next Bruce Smith?

212664[/snapback]

I think we should absolutely go after him. Then, in two or three years when we're making a serious run and have a key playoff game against a solid competitor, we'll have a Abraham...a guy who COULD have changed the outcome of the Jets/Steelers game...sit on the bench because his contract could be up and he doesn't want to play because he's afraid of irritating his bunion and losing out on more money.

I think we should absolutely go after him. Then, in two or three years when we're making a serious run and have a key playoff game against a solid competitor, we'll have a Abraham...a guy who COULD have changed the outcome of the Jets/Steelers game...sit on the bench because his contract could be up and he doesn't want to play because he's afraid of irritating his bunion and losing out on more money.

212695[/snapback]

Very good points...and wasnt Abraham a LB too at one time? Can he still play both DE or LB if need be???

It sounds like a look 'em in the eye and make a personal judgment question. Sam Adams in my mind clearly deserved the rep of being a low-effort player during his 20s with his play despite some great production. Adams had (and still has) on the quickest first steps in the game and is a big boy. However, he found that throughout his 20s he could still make the Pro Bowl even though he took half the plays off.

The opposing center or guard never knew whichplay Sam was going to go on vacation or when he was going to make a truly astounding move for such a big guy so they always had to be ready.

Unfortunately, for Adams team's if his gap happened to be the point of attack and the RB hit his hole hard on one of the plays he happened to be taking off then a big gain would occur.

For whatever reason Adams suddenly matured. Whether he suddently found that as he got older he needed to prepare himself better, whether playing with his buddy Phat Pat gave him new motivation, whether he suddenly matured, his childhood dog or grandpappy died, commentators complimented him last year and the Bills for gettin more out of Adams than at any time in his career. he made the Pro Bowl this year.

Abraham appears to have outstayed his welcome in NYC. Mularkey and TD need to meet with him if he is free and make an assessment and make the case for him to adopt the Bills way (if appropriate) and get this talented player into a position where we are lacking.

If not pass him by, but if so then what a weapon. The brutal time he has had because of the injury issues for him in NY may well have taught him a thing or two about maturity to the extent he was at fault. MM and TD need to judge whether he has learned those lessons and apply them as a Bill if we get a shot at him.

After seeing how he simply brutalized Jonas Jennings early last season, I' love to see the team make a bet on him as long as MM feels he can work with him.

Abraham would be the only real DE on the market that most teams would covet. This woul dmake it an expensive proposition.

Given our more pressing needs of OL improvement do we have the cash necessary to resign Pat Williams, and possibly one of the top rated OT, OG, TE's scheduled to hit the market ?

Personally I think with JP getting ready to take the reigns, and Willis McGahee capable of running for a 5.0 yds per carry average we should do whatever it takes to place talent across our OL

I doubt this is going to happen. I don't consider John Abraham a character guy after this "sitting out" stuff. I defended him up and down. I understand why he did it, but I don't what him on the Bills. Plus he hasn't played a full season in two years.

212675[/snapback]

There seems to be alot of second hand info in this thread,let me help.

John Abraham went back to the doctor and he told John to sit out longer,The team knew this,no one told the media.

John Abe had the support of every player on his team,which ta first i though was BS but even thru 2 playoff games these guys stuck by him.

When healthy Johnny Abe is the most dominant DE in the NFL,hand down.

The Jets won't let him walk for free. If they franchise him he will cost some one picks. I think they will get him resigned before FA begins,I hope.

The only thing wrong i see with Abe is his ability to stay on the field. I hope the jets remind him of of this during contract negotiations.

There seems to be alot of second hand info in this thread,let me help.

John Abraham went back to the doctor and he told John to sit out longer,The team knew this,no one told the media.

212893[/snapback]

I have two friends who are die-hard Jets fans (season ticketholders) and both told me they felt that John's recent flight to visit another doctor (who told him to sit out) was simply a marketing ploy to get the press off the subject. Naturally, noone knows this for certain...but that's what a couple of fans believe.

I have two friends who are die-hard Jets fans (season ticketholders) and both told me they felt that John's recent flight to visit another doctor (who told him to sit out) was simply a marketing ploy to get the press off the subject. Naturally, noone knows this for certain...but that's what a couple of fans believe.

212921[/snapback]

Do you believe 2 die hard fans ? or ......

The team ,the player,the doctor and his teammates?

The only thing wrong i see with Abe is his ability to stay on the field. I hope the jets remind him of of this during contract negotiations.

Why? Let the jests screw up their cap! :D

I thought he had some criminal problems? No? Maybe he can't leave the jusisdiction...

:D

Jets Defensive Lineman John Abraham Charged With DWI

POSTED: 8:04 a.m. EDT October 2, 2003

UPDATED: 7:44 a.m. EDT October 3, 2003

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- New York Jets defensive lineman John Abraham was charged with drunken driving after he drove his sports utility vehicle into a fire hydrant and light pole, police said.

Jet Trouble - Jets Player Arrested

Abraham pleaded innocent Thursday and was released on his own recognizance, said Rick Hinshaw, a spokesman for the Nassau County district attorney's office. The misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated carries a maximum sentence of up to one year in jail.

The accident occurred Wednesday night on Long Island, police said. Abraham, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, and the two passengers in the Hummer were not injured.

"I apologize to my family, my teammates, the coaching staff and the entire New York Jets' organization for my actions," Abraham said in a statement released by the team. "I am embarrassed by this situation, and I will learn from this."

Jets coach Herman Edwards said Thursday he was disappointed in Abraham and felt as though he shared some responsibility.

"It rests on my shoulders and I failed," Edwards said. "I feel as bad as he does today. We'll help him, we'll get it corrected and we'll move down the road."

The Jets are in their off week after beginning the season 0-4. Edwards would not say whether Abraham would play next week against Buffalo. Abraham went home to South Carolina and will return to practice Monday.

Abraham was a first-round draft pick in 2000 -- one of a record four the Jets had that year -- and has been the team's most consistent defender the last two years, when he made the Pro Bowl.

In 2001, he had 13 sacks among his 82 tackles and the Jets made the playoffs. Last season, he had 10 sacks, again in 82 tackles, and the team won the AFC East.

This season, he has 2 1/2 sacks. :P

J-E-S-T, JEST, JEST, JEST! :P

Abraham would be the only real DE on the market that most teams would covet. This woul dmake it an expensive proposition.

Given our more pressing needs of OL improvement do we have the cash necessary to resign Pat Williams,  and possibly one of the top rated OT, OG, TE's scheduled to hit the market ?

Personally I think with JP getting ready to take the reigns, and Willis McGahee capable of running for a 5.0 yds per carry average we should do whatever it takes to place talent across our OL

212786[/snapback]

Isn't Darren Howard a free agent this year too? If so, he would get plenty of action, I would imagine.

:D

POSTED: 8:04 a.m. EDT October 2, 2003

UPDATED: 7:44 a.m. EDT October 3, 2003

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- New York Jets defensive lineman John Abraham was charged with drunken driving after he drove his sports utility vehicle into a fire hydrant and light pole, police said.

Jet Trouble - Jets Player Arrested 

Abraham pleaded innocent Thursday and was released on his own recognizance, said Rick Hinshaw, a spokesman for the Nassau County district attorney's office. The misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated carries a maximum sentence of up to one year in jail.

The accident occurred Wednesday night on Long Island, police said. Abraham, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, and the two passengers in the Hummer were not injured.

"I apologize to my family, my teammates, the coaching staff and the entire New York Jets' organization for my actions," Abraham said in a statement released by the team. "I am embarrassed by this situation, and I will learn from this."

Jets coach Herman Edwards said Thursday he was disappointed in Abraham and felt as though he shared some responsibility.

"It rests on my shoulders and I failed," Edwards said. "I feel as bad as he does today. We'll help him, we'll get it corrected and we'll move down the road."

The Jets are in their off week after beginning the season 0-4. Edwards would not say whether Abraham would play next week against Buffalo. Abraham went home to South Carolina and will return to practice Monday.

Abraham was a first-round draft pick in 2000 -- one of a record four the Jets had that year -- and has been the team's most consistent defender the last two years, when he made the Pro Bowl.

In 2001, he had 13 sacks among his 82 tackles and the Jets made the playoffs. Last season, he had 10 sacks, again in 82 tackles, and the team won the AFC East.

This season, he has 2 1/2 sacks. :P

J-E-S-T, JEST, JEST, JEST! :P

212991[/snapback]

I guess it could be worse he could be a buffalo bill. have fun watching the playoff's.

Do you believe 2 die hard fans ? or ......

The team ,the player,the doctor and his teammates?

Wasn't the player himself quoted twice that he would sit because he had to think about his future? i.e. his next contract.

He is one of the best DE's in the league when he's playing, but there's no way in hell the Bills throw a boatload of money at a guy who publicly stated he was bailing on a playoff game (a playoff game!) because he was worried about his next contract.

Cya