OT - Spyware problem

TigerJ

D'oh, I'm an idiot. :lol:

Better remember to fix that, thanks!

CW

212540[/snapback]

Well, when I forget my password, there's nothing like taking a pneumatic press to my computer to help me feel better. :devil:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran Hijack This and haven't seen "Solid Peer" rear its ugly head once.  Thanks.  I reinstalled a popup blocker to catch the run of the mill popups.

The ironic thing is that a good percentage of the ads from Solid Peer were for anti spyware programs and registry cleaners.  Yeah, like I'm going to buy from the enemy, right.

212535[/snapback]

Anyone have a link to true reliable hijack this and other spyware removals. One time I went lookig for spyware removal tool and ended up downloading ssomething that ended up being a trojan horse. With URL rewriting etc its hard to tell were the real stuff is versus the fake.

Anyone have a link to true reliable hijack this and other spyware removals.  One time I went lookig for spyware removal tool and ended up downloading ssomething that ended up being a trojan horse.    With URL rewriting etc its hard to tell were the real stuff is versus the fake.

212546[/snapback]

Well we can tell that SOMEONE didn't read my presentation :devil:

CW

It squeezes the passwords out :lol:

CW

212565[/snapback]

"I thought that's what they meant by cracking the password..."

:devil:

We actually had a situation here at work (big company, lots of docks) where a computer that was coming back from trade trial (one of only a couple of working models that they had) ended up going to the wrong dock. The dock it went to is where dead computers go to get chopped up and otherwise processed for disposal/recycling. The project manager still has 1/2 of the hard drive that she kept as a souvenir....pretty nice cross-section view :lol:

This might be a good time to point you to my PC Home Security presentation.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=7560

If you're running Win2k or WinXP, you should set yourself up as the administrator and give your son's account regular user access so he can't install stuff without your permission.

CW

212457[/snapback]

Ding ding ding!

That's how I keep my idiot customers from installing all manner of stuff.

Anyone have a link to true reliable hijack this and other spyware removals.  One time I went lookig for spyware removal tool and ended up downloading ssomething that ended up being a trojan horse.    With URL rewriting etc its hard to tell were the real stuff is versus the fake.

212546[/snapback]

My place of preference is http://www.download.com.

You'll forgive me if I don't trust a MS product to fix the problems that MS introduced.

CW

212926[/snapback]

I definitely understand where you're coming from...but MS didn't devlop the program, they just bought the company that developed it.

http://www.vnunet.com/news/1160115

I also use Spybot 1.3 and Adaware Professional SE in combination with the MS product.

#1 Download the following Ad-aware, & Spy-Bot. I put the links at the bottom of this post.

* Updating Ad-aware:

Double-Click the Desktop Icon > Click 'Check For Updates Now' > Click 'Connect'

* Updating Spybot:

Double-Click the Desktop Icon > Click Update > Drop-Down Box UniDo(Europe) > Select Pure-Elite(USA) or EON (AU) > Click 'Search for Updates' > Click 'Download Updates'

#2 Please make sure that you can view all hidden files.

Windows XP

To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:

Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.

Double-click on the My Computer icon.

Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.

After the new window appears select the View tab.

Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.

Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.

Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.

Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.

Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.

Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

#3 Now rebooot into safe mode (press f8 during reboot, select safe mode) and DON'T reconnect to the net.

#4 - First click start --> run --> type cleanmgr hit enter > Click OK > Select All > Click OK > Close the program

#5 - Now Open Ad-aware and make the following changes to the settings in Ad-aware.

* Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweak > Scanning Engine:

check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."

* Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweak > Cleaning Engine:

Check: "Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot."

Press 'Proceed'

Press 'Start'

* Select option 'Use Custom scanning options'

* Click 'Activate in-depth scan'

* Press 'Select drives\folders to scan' Select the active partition which is usually C:

Click 'Customize'

* Make sure the following are all are Checked:

o 'Scan Within Archives'

o 'Scan Active Processes'

o 'Scan Registry'

o 'Deep Scan Registry'

o 'Scan My IE Favorites For Banned URL'S

o 'Scan My Hosts File'

Click 'Proceed'

Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...Allow Ad-aware to fix what it finds and Close out Ad-aware.

#6 Open Spybot.

* Click 'Search & Destroy'

* Click 'Check for problems' (the program will now search your HDD)

* Make sure all finding are checked and click 'Fix Selected Problems'

Close Spybot.

Reboot your computer and see if that helps. If you still get the pop ups I can walk you through the (Hijack this) program.

spyware programs

Ad Aware

SpyBot S&D

Hijack this

Too late tonight. gotta get to bed. I already have AdAware and Spybot, along with Hijack This, Spyware Blaster, and CW Shredder. I'll go through the rest of the steps you suggest tomorrow, though running Hijack This really seems to have cleared out the Solid Peer program.