Playoffs: 49ers at Panthers

Just Jack

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Young was great, my favorite player. Liked him better than Montana.

Montana is the current Manning. Young the current Brees, at best. Young's stat book is phenomenal. But its not a true reflection of who he was as a player. Like Manning, Montsnna made everyone on the field better. Young was just simply a good QB.

The refs didn't stop them 4 times in a row on the goal line, and then another 3 when they chose to go with the FG later. They didn't overpursue Kaepernick on his TD run.

Even if they messed up a few calls in the 49ers' favor, they did also call a BS helmet to helmet on the Skuta sack where Cam spun right into him and there was no way Skuta could have adjusted his course. That saved a crucial drive, where Cam promptly threw a bad pick.

Also, from my vantage point, the unsportsmanlike calls on Carolina were much more obvious than the "missed" calls on the 49ers. Boldin got in some faces, but he didn't just slam his his head into anyone's from a considerable distance.

Sometimes Harbaugh is obnoxious on the field, but I also love his passion. Plus, he's clearly a winner. Which of us wouldn't want him as our coach? Results are results.

That is all subjective. You have very little insight, if any, of what Steve Young was like as the leader of the 90s 49er teams. If you look at Jerry Rice's play in the Steve Young years he was just as good if not better in some areas than when he played with Montana.

I will say: Montana was groomed by Bill Walsh from his rookie year through 1988 and their third Super Bowl together. Walsh was the undisputed leader of the team. It was Walsh's system that won. That changed somewhat when George Seifert, a players' coach, took over in 1989. You could argue that Montana did become more of a leader at that time without Walsh as head coach, but it was short-lived.

There was a transition between Montana getting injured in 1991-1992 and coaches wanting Steve Young to be the QB over Montana because he was too good not to play. Montana didn't like that and was traded to Kansas City. He did not make very many players better there.

Young lost four full seasons playing backup to Montana and he would have easily been a QB1 on most teams in the league at that time.