The Knee(s)

PS 56

Can rehab include building up the muscle around the knee to provide strength? Can a knee brace help? What about an elastic or neoprene sleeve type of brace?

My son tore his ACL playing football in college over five years ago. He had surgery from a place with a very good reputation. He is able to do most athletic activities just fine, but he says it is still numb and it makes him uneasy because he doesn't get any feedback if he twists or jars it.

This is not an exact analogy, but think of it this way: The leg muscles are like a door. The knee ligaments are like the hinges that hold the door to the frame (the bones).

The hinges will hold up better if the door is sturdy and properly balanced - not doing stuff that strains the hinges like flexing or sticking in one part of the frame (muscles allowing undesired movement or one muscle atrophied while another too strong, pulling the knee out of alignment). This will make casual injuries less likely, such as those resulting from a stuck foot or an awkward landing. I think, if I'm not mistaken, that was EJ's original injury in preseason, awkward landing after he hurdled someone.

A brace will help, just as with a door, longer stronger hinges make it sturdier. Think bank vault instead of bathroom door. But at the end of the day, if someone grabs the edge of the sturdiest door and twists it strongly in a way it is not designed to move, the hinges will rip - either the hinges themselves will deform, or they'll pull out of the door. If you look at a picture of the knee, the muscles don't cover the actual knee joint so no amount of strengthened muscles will ultimately protect the knee from a strong force in a direction it is not designed to handle, such as a 250 lb linebacker launching his shoulder into the side of the knee (if I recall, that was EJ's 2nd injury). The only way to avoid those is to be smart, get out of bounds or SLIDE.

I'll feel better about EJ if I hear he is seriously working on his SLIDE this offseason and planning to wear braces, as well as strengthening his knee.

This is not an exact analogy, but think of it this way: The leg muscles are like a door. The knee ligaments are like the hinges that hold the door to the frame (the bones).

The hinges will hold up better if the door is sturdy and properly balanced - not doing stuff that strains the hinges like flexing or sticking in one part of the frame (muscles allowing undesired movement or one muscle atrophied while another too strong, pulling the knee out of alignment). This will make casual injuries less likely, such as those resulting from a stuck foot or an awkward landing. I think, if I'm not mistaken, that was EJ's original injury in preseason, awkward landing after he hurdled someone.

A brace will help, just as with a door, longer stronger hinges make it sturdier. Think bank vault instead of bathroom door. But at the end of the day, if someone grabs the edge of the sturdiest door and twists it strongly in a way it is not designed to move, the hinges will rip - either the hinges themselves will deform, or they'll pull out of the door. If you look at a picture of the knee, the muscles don't cover the actual knee joint so no amount of strengthened muscles will ultimately protect the knee from a strong force in a direction it is not designed to handle, such as a 250 lb linebacker launching his shoulder into the side of the knee (if I recall, that was EJ's 2nd injury). The only way to avoid those is to be smart, get out of bounds or SLIDE.

I'll feel better about EJ if I hear he is seriously working on his SLIDE this offseason and planning to wear braces, as well as strengthening his knee.

:thumbsup: Thank you.