Now we know what Aaron Maybin was supposed to be...

cage

Regarding Maybin..

Pettine gave his passionate intern, Mike Smith, an opportunity to develop a player's skills to fit a need within their defense.

this should be the norm at the pro level, but sadly, it's not. the Maybin pick may have been the high watermark of our team's disconnect between multiple elements of our front office, scouting, and coaching staffs.

Regarding Hughes..

it's nice to get excited about this past offseason's moves, and to anticipate more of the same.

Edited by BackInDaDay

There are few things I would do if I could grant wishes and snap my fingers to suddenly change history. While I would not gift Aaron Maybin a successful career in the NFL I would gift him the benefit of letting him move beyond it. This article, this defense and specifically Jerry Hughes has nothing to do with Aaron Maybin. There are as many Aaron Maybin's in this league as their are Jerry Hughes'. Aaron Curry, for example, was just as much a disappointment and to the Seahawks and other teams the sentiment, Shirley, is the same.

Do not bask in what might have been, we are moving foward. We are recharged. Celebrate the Bills 2013 defensive success

if we didnt get maybin we would have gotten brian orakpo, larry english, or robert ayers

orakpo started out strong and kinda fizzled out recently (but clearly he is way better than maybin)

but english and ayers didnt really work out either so we were never getting the next bruce smith that everyone wanted

Maybin is so tiny. He was on Hard Knocks with the Bengals this season (of course he was cut). He is super skinny. Looks like a safety, definitely not defensive lineman size. Picking a guy like that so high as a 21 yr old with only a half season as a starter in college, it was pretty obvious what the outcome would be. They took a huge risk drafting him and clearly it blew up in our faces

We picked Maybin over Orakpo.

Collasal blunder. And this isn't hindsight. Orakpo was the Number 1 DE on the board. And miles above Maybin in any predraft mocks. This was a case of our GM trying to get cute. But he did it on our Number 1 pick. What a blunder.

We picked Maybin over Orakpo.

Collasal blunder. And this isn't hindsight. Orakpo was the Number 1 DE on the board. And miles above Maybin in any predraft mocks. This was a case of our GM trying to get cute. But he did it on our Number 1 pick. What a blunder.

Unfortunately, our coach and GM saw a round hole and were determined to find a round peg instead of simply picking the most well built piece and creating the right spot for him. Then we went out and filled the very specific hole of tall WR (hardy) and penetrating DT (mccargo).... Ignoring the idea of assembling talent and creating schemes to fit it. You could likely add marshawn to that list (though not as blatantly) and whitner as well... And it quick becomes clear why we didn't succeed for such a long stretch there. Just stuck putting bad pieces into similarly shaped holes for the sake of trying to fill them fast.

Get premium talent. Get premium positions early. Figure out how to exploit those strengths you create in the film room later.

Edited by NoSaint