toss sweep plays

Who knows?

But maybe it has something to do with the fact that the tight end has to seal the end and the guards have to pull to get blocks on linebackers? Take a stab at either one of those - we haven't got great blocking out of tight ends and it is not like we have top talent at guard.

Maybe they ran it in practice and failed miserably?

DE's in this league are a lot faster then NCAA or High School, OLB's even faster. Combined with needing a very quick OT and a fast pulling OG, you have an uphill battle - Levitre could pull very well. Sweeps are not as successful as one would hope in the NFL.

Polish Dave you realize the blocking of the Bills O line leaves a lot to be desired. (That's a nice way of saying they totally stink up the joint). What I don't get is, most people on this board agree the Bills should have let Levitre walk, but then they complain that the blocking stinks. Don't they realize Levitre has a lot to do with drop off of the offensive line play? A lot of fans just don't understand the game of football and that an offensive line is only as strong as its weakest link. The line has to play as a unit and one bad apple can ruin the entire barrel.

Edited by littlelouie

Yea you both make great points. I was just kinda curious as to why the Bills, and for that matter, most teams rarely run sweep plays anymore. I feel like 10-15 years ago these plays were more common.

10-15 years ago OL were as big as whales and as athletic as a bowling ball - pure maulers. Today they are 4.5 running, 6'6" 325 lbs. and 7% body fat athletes that last 7 years.

Polish Dave you realize the blocking of the Bills O line leaves a lot to be desired. (That's a nice way of saying they totally stink up the joint). What I don't get is, most people on this board agree the Bills should have let Levitre walk, but then they complain that the blocking stinks. Don't they realize Levitre has a lot to do with drop off of the offensive line play? A lot of fans just don't understand the game of football and that an offensive line is only as strong as its weakest link. The line has to play as a unit and one bad apple can ruin the entire barrel.

the loss of Andy seems to have significantly changed the play calling .

I can understand why . But it's true just the same . And CJ has struggled because of it

I know people on here have adamantly talked about trying to get Spiller the ball in space. So why dont we EVER run toss sweep plays and give him the chance to get the ball in space with a full head of steam going?

Bc this offensive system and staff are a joke

The toss sweep is still a popular play run well by numerous teams.

It doesn't seem to have a place in the Bills playbook. I can remember only a few instances where it was run this year.

Fred Jackson is outstanding on this play. Tailbacks in general love it because they get the ball fairly deep where they can survey traffic and make a run choice. It's particularly a great play for tailbacks who are good cutback runners.

BTW, the Bills also don't use the shovel pass even though that is a very effective play when used properly.