Bills Offseason Moves

marck

This off-season will be the time when the final pieces are put into place to move the team back into playoffs for the 2005 NFL season.

The first matter of busisness will be for the trading of Travis Henry and receiving adaquate compensation. Henry is linked by rumors to teams down in Florida, namely Miami & Tampa Bay as well as Oakland. Prior to being able to trade Henry, the status on quality running backs who can move as free agents has to be resolved. Will Seattle Franchise tag Shaun Alexander or let him test the waters. Rudi Johnson, will he be retained by the Bengals? and where will Lamont Jordan go. It is my feeling that Seattle will indeed franchise tage Alexander, taking him off the market, Rudi Johnson is basically the same type of runner and has comparable skills to Travis, but at a much more expensive price tag. Jordan may stay with the Jets as they give him more carries and start the eventual phase out of Curtis Martin. In my opinion, Henry is more marketable due to his low 2005 salary and would be a lesser impact then Rudi Johnson.

I have read that the asking price is a 2nd round pick, maybe what we should ask for is a player instead, for example if TH is dealt to Tampa Bay, would you prefer a 2nd round pick or a proven player like Joe Jaravicious who would make an excellent slot receiver and be the replacement for Josh Reed who we might be able to also ship off in the trade. We could also ask what the price would be for Simeon Rice, who would add the explosive pass rush needed to complete our defense. Maybe they would make a Henry & Reed for Rice trade straight-up.

The Bills also need to re-sign Pat Williams as soon as possible and then guage the market for Jonas Jennings. There will be other tackles available and if the cost is high why not persue a player such as a Kyle Turley who would add the intensity and effort that this lines sometimes lacks. Also, it is possible that Walter Jones of Seattle would be available as a free agent and possibly Orlando Pace, if both of these players are available, the market drops for Jennings making him re-signable.

As far as the draft is concerned, the players selected will be tied to any trade and free agaent gains/losses incurred. The most pressing needs are for a place-kicker and 3rd down slot receiver. Linebacker depth and offensive line depth also need to be added in the late rounds.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone's opinions.

Bump as this is an excellent football related topic

211491[/snapback]

Thanks for raising interesting possibilities in your initial post. I must disagree with two points that you raised:

1) DEs are VERY hard to get, especially good pass rushers. Teams will not trade one for a rb with issues galore (Henry)and a bad wideout (Reed).

2) Kyle Turley was said to have lost a lot of weight (roids related?) and threatened to assault his headcoach. He is also not a better RT than Williams, who makes a trillion dollars. Bad fit.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. Excellents points and well thought out.

Believe Rice may be available due to his age and contract value and Tampa is moving towards getting younger.

Maybe a more reasonable trade would be Henry & Reed for Jaravicious & a 2nd round pick.

Regarding Turley, he can play left tackle and will build his weight back to 300+ lbs. In addition, his issues are with Mike Martz who is naturally antagionistic and hostile.

But, thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for raising interesting possibilities in your initial post. I must disagree with two points that you raised:

1) DEs are VERY hard to get, especially good pass rushers. Teams will not trade one for a rb with issues galore (Henry)and a bad wideout (Reed).

2) Kyle Turley was said to have lost a lot of weight (roids related?) and threatened to assault his headcoach. He is also not a better RT than Williams, who makes a trillion dollars. Bad fit.

211508[/snapback]

I don't think anyone would give up a 2nd round pick for Henry with only one year left on his contract. I would expect that any taker would want to negotiate extra years before pulling the trigger on a trade, and that gives Henry some bargaining power he doesn't otherwise have. Of course, if he and his agent play hardball his alternative is to stay here, fester on the bench for a year, and gamble he can make a killing as a free agent after 2005. (I doubt we would be havng discussions about whether to franchise Travis Henry in 1/2006 if he's still here.) I don't think he wants that (he's anxious to get traded now), so I expect him to be cooperative. But I still wonder if anyone would give up a 2nd for him.

I wouldn't be interested in Jurevicius. He's been injured most of the last two years, he's losing speed, and he probably makes more than Aiken or Reed. Are we ready to give up on Aiken? I'm asking because I have no idea -- we don't see too many Bills games out here in the Garden State and I know very little about him.

I also think it's more important to be confident in your starting TE than in your third WR, so I could be interested in a trade for a serviceable tight end (Ken Dilger plus a 3rd? Or is Dilger too far gone?).