Career changes

Bob4Bills

I'm embarking on my forth, getting completely out of commercial management and opening my own business. :) I'm not trusting anybody to 'take care of me' anymore ie benies, 401k, whimsical corporate direcvtion, etc. :D

How many changes have you made?

I've only had 4 jobs in my life. Right out of high school I worked in a drycleaning store for 5 months. My second job was at the local newspaper as a switchboard operator/classified ad rep. My third job was a receptionist at an insurance agency when I lived in SC. My current job as a CSSR at TimeWarner Cable is closing in on 26 years this April.

:D

I'm embarking on my forth, getting completely out of commercial management and opening my own business.  :) I'm not trusting anybody to 'take care of me' anymore ie benies, 401k, whimsical corporate direcvtion, etc. :D

How many changes have you made?

210749[/snapback]

I just started my second a few weeks ago (at least in my profesional career). Travelling the world at the drop of a hat was getting old. Not knowing where I was going, when I was going, and when I was coming home really wore me down. Add the long hours and the stress, and it was time for a change.

Travelling the world at the drop of a hat was getting old. Not knowing where I was going, when I was going, and when I was coming home really wore me down. Add the long hours and the stress, and it was time for a change.

210781[/snapback]

I HEAR you! Anyone who thinks the traveling life sounds exciting, hasn't tried it..

I did, it ISN'T!

I HEAR you! Anyone who thinks the traveling life sounds exciting, hasn't tried it..

I did, it ISN'T!

210785[/snapback]

You have that right. My last trip to Korea, I was there for 35 days. I had a couple hours off on about day 31.

When you are on the road, you are there to work. Eat, sleep, and work. Your "tour of the area" consists of the road between the airport and the hotel and the road between the hotel and the job site.

People say, why don't you take a few days off to see the area? They do not realize that going home IS a vacation.

Career changes, not sure. Job changes, over 20 since I first started working at 14. This includes all the summer jobs, and school jobs. Until my current job, I haven't worked longer than 3 years at any company. This May will be my 5yr anniversary.

Well, I'm possibly going on my second downsizing in 3 years. I was let go in 2002 when my company went bankrupt, then got bought out and laid off everyone in the Albany area. I was with that company (my first real job) for 7 years, holding three different jobs there. Now I work for a large company that's finishing up a merger. There's so many people in the technology part of the company after the merger, I can't see how everyone will survive.

Anyone need a good networking guy? :D

I've switched a few times....

...articled with KPMG - got my Chartered Accountant

...went to PricewaterhouseCoopers - worked in IT Consulting

....went to private industry - Controller

....currently as a articling Trustee for Insolvency and Corporate Recovery

All in a 6 year span....so yah, you can say I've moved around. But It took me a while to find what I liked and I wouldn't settle for doing something I didn't like.

Working with developmentally disabled adults (9 years)

Career Counselor (9 years)

Mac Technician (6 years and counting)

Hmmm... looks like I have about three more years in my current career before I move on to the next thing. I'm hoping it will be "Multi-Millionaire" or something similar. :D