NFL QB rivalries: did I hear this right?

Buftex

So, earlier today, at work, we had on sports-talk radio...I was only kind of half listening. They were talking about the upcoming game between the Broncos and Patriots...and the "rivalry" between Manning and Brady. It will be the 14th time their respective teams have faces one another....I believe Brady teams have a 9-4 edge over Manning teams.

They want on to say, I thought, that Dan Marino and Jim Kelly teams faced each-other more times than any other rival QB's. I was thinking that couldn't be right...but am not sure how to research it and get any definitive answer. Anyone? The more I thought about it, it makes sense...two HOF QB's in the same division, for the entirety of their dual careers.

Now, I do know, if Kelly/Marino is the most frequent QB match-up in NFL history, it is nice to know, Kelly's Bills holds a 16-6 15-6 edge over Marino's Dolphins. The regular season, Kelly's Bills were 13-6 12-6 over the Dolphins, and 3-0 in playoffs. Kelly missed one two starts against the Dolphins (a Frank Reich led victory for the good guys in '89, and another in a "protecting the starters for playoffs" start in 1990), while Marino missed two games (Bills walloped Dolpins in Scott Mithcell start in '93, but then beat the Bills, in Kellys' final game against the fish, led by Craig Ericson in '96)

Lot of great games in that rivalry...

Edited by Buftex

That was a "trivia" question during the Thursday night game. Me and my buddy guessed Kelly and Marino. That was the answer, they stated later in the broadcast.

Ah...so that is where it came from....I didn't see the game Thursday night. I had no idea...

So, earlier today, at work, we had on sports-talk radio...I was only kind of half listening. They were talking about the upcoming game between the Broncos and Patriots...and the "rivalry" between Manning and Brady. It will be the 14th time their respective teams have faces one another....I believe Brady teams have a 9-4 edge over Manning teams.

They want on to say, I thought, that Dan Marino and Jim Kelly teams faced each-other more times than any other rival QB's. I was thinking that couldn't be right...but am not sure how to research it and get any definitive answer. Anyone? The more I thought about it, it makes sense...two HOF QB's in the same division, for the entirety of their dual careers.

Now, I do know, if Kelly/Marino is the most frequent QB match-up in NFL history, it is nice to know, Kelly's Dolphins holds a 16-6 edge over Marino's Dolphins. The regular season, Kelly's Bills were 13-6 over the Dolphins, and 3-0 in playoffs. Kelly missed one start against the Dolphins (a Frank Reich led victory for the good guys), while Marino missed two games (Bills walloped Dolpins in Scott Mithcell start, but then beat the Bills, in Kellys' final game against the fish, led by Craig Ericson)

Lot of great games in that rivalry...

Kelly's Dolphins? How dare you blaspheme like that!!!!!

They said 21 times on that broadcast.

Hmm....maybe I have to look again...you are right, it was 21...Reich started a game at the end of the 1990 season, where Marv was protecting the starters for the playoffs...Bills were 13-1 at the time...can you imagine that? All corrections made in the OP.

Edited by Buftex